Three and a half days

He's a total dick about it, but I agree with some of the things he said.

There's a large percentage of people under 30 who have totally been coddled. These people were never exposed to failure and as a person who is under the age of 30, and grew up knowing that life isn't fair and you have to WORK to get anywhere, these people irritate the hell out of me.

Well, I can't deny that he has a point. I have to admit, the "everybody gets a prize" mentality annoys the hell out of me too. Unfortunately this point isn't actually opposed - or even relevant - to the one the Occupy protestors are making (and despite his protestations to the contrary, they *do* have a point).

I think he's over-generous on the three and a half days, though. Giving them a cabin? Pah. Let them built a bivouac, or pray for good weather... :)

Are some of the Own Wall Street protesters spoiled and naieve? Absolutely. Do some of them need a harsh reality check? Without a doubt. But the sweeping generalization that they are all lazy spoiled rich lids is naieve as well. At the heart of the movement is corporate greed and corruption, behaviour which lead to the great economic meltdown that the world is still wrestling with. And it also needs mentioning that every generation views the following with a thinly veiled sense of contempt and every generation feels the next one, their children no less, is lazy and stupid and will be the end of the world. Our parents thought it about of us (even if they won't admit it), and they're parents thought the same thing about them and so on. Remember when the powers that be wanted to ba rock and roll because they feared it would lead the impressionable youth astray? Remember when they said the same thing about sexual liberty? And what did the middle agers say about the kids protesting the Vietnam War, a conflict seen as senseless and stupid today but was embraced by some many people during the day? It goes on and on. I'd even wager that even Bill's parents thought he was a lazy slacker when he was in college, for no other reason then because he didn't have to face the same struggles they did when he was growing up.

• Like 2

Guest p**h*x

Ohhh, so corporate greed is my fault because I'm a lazy self entitled infant! It's all so clear to me now. Excuse me while I shut off my computer, put down my iPhone, go forth and worship at the foot of ExxonMobil. I must thank them for making $380 billion in profits per year so I don't have put forth the effort myself.

I don't think he "gets" the occupy movement (although being older than he is I may not either). I suspect that is because there are a number of factors that brought it about, but only certain parts of these became the focus. However look at what these people have experienced:

1) The dream that home ownership was the foundation of success has been in question since 2009.

2) The old "you need to go to college and you will get a good job" truism has been shown not to be.

3) Wages of upper management have increased orders of magnitude more than wages for regular people and I for one don't see what they do that is worth so much.

Also, as others above have noted, the have been any number of similar movements in the past (I lived through the hippie movement).

As a counter to the above video, I would provide

(warning about 11 minutes long). I agree with the both of them about the same.

You could take this guy's logic and use it undo every invention and every act of progress mankind has made since the dawn of time.

Would this Whittle guy have told Martin Luther King to stop pressing for equal racial rights because he should be simply happy with not being a slave owned as a piece of property? Probably.

Hey Notch, thanks for sharing - great post!

Again, I'll preface - I don't know really know much about anything, but here's my opinion anyhow...

I think that somewhere in between "Occupy Whatever" and this guy is the right idea.