As I was flying into the city this morning, I was thinking of all the little traditions that my family has each year.

In my family we have a few:

1. enjoy seafood casserole so thick you can stand a spoon straight up, lol.

2. open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, always a pair of PJ's and house coat, not a favorite with most kids, but I LOVED IT!!

3. Christmas breakfast.....so much food!!! Almost bigger than dinner!

4. After Night time mass, we listened to the " Santa Report" on the drive home, of course only Mom and Dad could see his sleigh from the car window, lol

5. Boxing day, we have Acadian Poutine, old fashion style, with brown sugar,

What are you traditions? Do you keep them alive and pass on to your kids too? Have you made new Traditions? I want to hear all about it:)

• Like 1

I was taught the German tradition of setting the tree with real candles and then lighting them on christmas eve and the family sitting around reading "the night before christmas".....very safe actually....and with that the only list in the room....Wow!!

Posted via Mobile Device

well first of all I hope you enjoy your Ottawa visit Sophia!!

I have a tradition I share with my family and has been passed down through the years. My family spends Christmas eve socializing with loved,ones while champagne flows,and we do photos of the grandchildren,and the older generations,as we never know when the last is to come.

Then we play darts(I am top dog of my family hehe) Followed my more drinks,then to the family presents!

We unwrap a gift from one distant family member,before we head to midnight mass, at my grandfathers church(depending on which family I am visiting that year) it is always an emotional fulfillment to see,the entire family together chatting about our lives,and drama in it lmao!

I wish everyone a sincere happy,healthy holidays.

Stay safe and healthy!

See you all in the new year :)

• Like 1

I was taught the German tradition of setting the tree with real candles and then lighting them on Christmas eve and the family sitting around reading "the night before Christmas".....very safe actually....and with that the only list in the room....Wow!!

Posted via Mobile Device

This reminds me of one christmas I spent in a remote part of BC, I lived on a tiny island on the sunshine coast. That year I too had real candle lite tree:) I was nervous at first, but then thought well what the heck, pioneers did it, so can I, lol..Thanks for the story, do you continue with this tradition?

Real tree.

Snow outside for Snowball Fights and Snow Forts and Snowmobiling.

Goose n Turkey dinner with Molasses and Blackberry Puddin and Yorkshore Puddin and trimmings.

Mummering.

Homemade cookies from 7 different Aunts (cookie trading circle/competition).

Wool sox. (hahahahahhahahahhahahha, I kill me)

I grew up in a larger family of 6 kids. A tradition I remember which has somewhat been lost was the Christmas Board Game. Mom/Dad would always have 1 gift under the tree for the '*' Family from Santa. It was the annual board game. After late breakfast it would eventually come out and a healthy competition would unfold for the afternoon. Good games like Stock Ticker were only 'paused' during dinner and then continued late into the night. Wow, many years ago. Cub

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I get kinda mushy this time of year, I am big on traditions, and festivities!!

Almost any holiday gets me, but Christmas season really fills me with joy, love and peace. I am so happy to hear of all of your traditions!

The post on blackberry pudding really has my intrest...any recipe you can share with me? I would love to try it, black berry is my most favorite berry!!

I am a party pooper:) I don't celebrate Christmas:) I haven't for the past 3 years...being alone for it make it hard to celebrate...

I wake up really late, have a huge breakfast, play videos games all afternoon/early evening, and drink until I fall asleep.

But I do celebrate Yule on Dec 21st...and I do it hard;)

I am a party pooper:) I don't celebrate Christmas:) I haven't for the past 3 years...being alone for it make it hard to celebrate...

I wake up really late, have a huge breakfast, play videos games all afternoon/early evening, and drink until I fall asleep.

But I do celebrate Yule on Dec 21st...and I do it hard;)

Nice to see your tradition continue Malika, I too have had christmas times just by myself. For me I like to contribute my time to making other people's festivites easier, like helping a family in need or helping to prepare food for a community kitchen. Perhaps you would share with us what Yule tradition is like?

Nice thread sophia,you have a very kind heart.

My family is very disfunctional,no one talks to each other anymore but when I was a kid christmases were perfect,we would always spend christmas eve visiting friends and relatives,eating and drinking to much,waking up very early to open gifts,building snow forts and snowmobiling,then a big turkey dinner, ahhh memories,I still love christmas ,and enjoy a turkey dinner with all the trimmings with friends and my dog{she is included in everything} I now visit animal shelters and donate to them over the holidays and throughout the year,you have to give to get!! Merry christmas to everyone,I hope we get snow!!

Nice thread sophia,you have a very kind heart.

My family is very disfunctional,no one talks to each other anymore but when I was a kid christmases were perfect,we would always spend christmas eve visiting friends and relatives,eating and drinking to much,waking up very early to open gifts,building snow forts and snowmobiling,then a big turkey dinner, ahhh memories,I still love christmas ,and enjoy a turkey dinner with all the trimmings with friends and my dog{she is included in everything} I now visit animal shelters and donate to them over the holidays and throughout the year,you have to give to get!! Merry christmas to everyone,I hope we get snow!!

Sounds like a lovely time CC, You know, my family was distant for years. But as we all matured and time heeled old wounds then we came to be close again. I hope that your family will too! Good luck, and be sure to surround yourself with people whon love and care for you this year!

• Like 1

My family tradition is simple we spend as much time together, browsing and shopping, eating lots of food, a few drinks and most of all quality time. I'm very fortunite all this happens every year considering I have to travel to another province.

Today in Mexico 'Three Kings Day' is celebrated and kids are so happy as they once again get toys this morning. The tradition is actually on the night of January 5th before going to bed leave your shoe with a letter for them which includes what you are asking for so in the morning, the letter is gone and the gifts have arrived. I remember when I was a kid we would go back to school the day after and were allowed to bring one of the toys we got to play with ... ah fun days!!!

Also, on the night of the 5th families get together and eat a traditional cake that has little babies hidden inside and those who get a baby figurine get to organize/pay a small party on February :)