In past Christmas's, I usually give my little chum a chew bone or such. One year I got him some bright red booties but they only made him walk funny.

He's getting on in years & this year may be his last with me, so I'm thinking I should get him something he'll really enjoy.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Jabba

We have an older lab that loves a squeaky toy for Christmas, which takes her about 15 minutes to tear apart, then a couple of hours of chewing on the rubber squeaker.

A new plush bed cushion is always welcome or even just a thick carpet sample, which is cheaper than some beds out there.

Or a framed photo of you for its' den.

I have a 14 yr old Rhodesian Ridge back/ shep...

Karma is her name. When I return home to Freddy, I will be putting her down, makes me sooo sad. But we want her barried on the family land, so we know she will not make it threw winter. So got to do it now, as the ground will soon freeze.

For her, I plan to make a roast beef dinner, deer jerky, and a good moose bone. Of course we will all eat together, and just cuddel with her:( She will be missed dearly, truly the best dog I have had the pleasure to know and love!

If you don't already have them something like pet steps might be a good option, as a dog (or any of us) get older mobility becomes an issue and where they may have enjoyed lying in the center of your bed each night legs straight out and making you sleep around them it might become difficult to get up to the bed with older joints. As much as a good nights sleep is nice for you when your friend does leave you the memories of that older dog climbing up the steps, stretching out in the middle of the bed and pushing you out will keep you warm at night.

I'm not a fan of introducing a new animal to an older companion, sometimes the stress of introductions can be difficult for older animals and the change in their living arrangements can make them uncomfortable. Also a lot of older dogs simply don't get along well with other older dogs and introducing a younger animal... well when I'm retired I don't want to have to worry about a toddler running around poking at me all the time, that's just not how I want to spend my golden years.

Damn.... I can think of a few chew and lick toys that I have encountered in the past 24 hours... hehehehehehehehehhe

When my baby was still with me my mom always bought him one of those xmas baskets at the pet store. It was filled with treats and toys. She would wrap it all up and we all got joy watching him find his present and rip it open. It was the cutest thing...he was always the first the choose his present. He would sit, impatiently waiting for his cue to go and seek it out. Gingerly, he would sift thru the pile and easily find his. He would grab it and take it to his mat and then slowly open it...he never ate the wrapping paper which amazed us :) Ahhhh great, but sad memory

When my baby was still with me my mom always bought him one of those xmas baskets at the pet store. It was filled with treats and toys. She would wrap it all up and we all got joy watching him find his present and rip it open. It was the cutest thing...he was always the first the choose his present. He would sit, impatiently waiting for his cue to go and seek it out. Gingerly, he would sift thru the pile and easily find his. He would grab it and take it to his mat and then slowly open it...he never ate the wrapping paper which amazed us :) Ahhhh great, but sad memory

Hmmmm... what could an Old Dog do to help a despairing woman ease her pain... hmmmmmm.....

Stop teasing!!!!!!!!!!

Just sayin'... there's a few new tricks that this old dog has learned... just need to here the words, "Here boy!! Come to Meg!!!'

Just sayin'... there's a few new tricks that this old dog has learned... just need to here the words, "Here boy!! Come to Meg!!!'

Cum, sit, stay, lick? Sorry couldn't resist

If you don't already have them something like pet steps might be a good option, as a dog (or any of us) get older mobility becomes an issue and where they may have enjoyed lying in the center of your bed each night legs straight out and making you sleep around them it might become difficult to get up to the bed with older joints. As much as a good nights sleep is nice for you when your friend does leave you the memories of that older dog climbing up the steps, stretching out in the middle of the bed and pushing you out will keep you warm at night.

I'm not a fan of introducing a new animal to an older companion, sometimes the stress of introductions can be difficult for older animals and the change in their living arrangements can make them uncomfortable. Also a lot of older dogs simply don't get along well with other older dogs and introducing a younger animal... well when I'm retired I don't want to have to worry about a toddler running around poking at me all the time, that's just not how I want to spend my golden years.

The doggy steps are an excellent idea Kyra!

My pooch gets mortally offended if I even look like I want to offer help. He lets me know in no uncertain terms "I don't need your help!"....even though he's clinging onto the edge of the bed with his forepaws (rear legs still on the ground). Grrrrr! he says - "I can do it by myself".

A classy set of stairs would be good for him (and even me in my later years). Thanks for the suggestion!

xo

J.

In past Christmas's, I usually give my little chum a chew bone or such. One year I got him some bright red booties but they only made him walk funny.

He's getting on in years & this year may be his last with me, so I'm thinking I should get him something he'll really enjoy.

Any suggestions?

Bless your heart and his, I hope it isn't his last,just give him more of you,if you can ,thats all they want is to be loved and appreciated for just being a good dog.As we all know dogs are gluttons ,food is their second best friend just give him a few more of his favorite treats.My dog loves everything from meat to veggies,but her favorite thing is going to the park and fetching sticks,what is better than a dog,nothing that I can think of!!I hope this christmas is extra special for you both.

ps-maybe a sheepskin mat ,my dog loves cuddling on one of those and they sell them everywhere,homesense,thebay,home outfitters,just an idea.

How about another little chum for him to keep company with in his golden days?

I looove this idea newboy! However, introducing another dog to him at this point in his life could possibly be more stress than he needs or can handle. But I'm a big believer in owning 2 dogs. So many benefits, IMO.

Ohhhhh!!!

Just a thought here.

You know those gigantic rawhide bones that look so fantastic, and you know that your puppy (old or young) would love?

The problem with those, that if left alone, a dog will chew and eat those things until they are done. Single sitting. Gonzo.

A puppy's tummy is finite.... and those gigantic bones are just a tad too big for some. My old German Shepherd, Luther, enjoyed one of those one Christmas afternoon when the ex and I were out visiting family and when we came back... well, let's just say that Luther had left us a not so welcome Christmas present.

It might be better to invest in a number of smaller chews than just one HUGE one....

Good suggestions all.

My little guy was born with a sensitive constitution and anything swine-like brings out the worst in him ...all at once! yik. He loves to eat anything, but I have to be his stomach's conscience. Despite his protestations, he just wouldn't make it in the wild.

I'm thinking something to help with his old age would be good. He would not do well with a second critter in the house, that's fer sure.

Just in case you wondering what to get for this Old Dog, I have just a couple of things on my list:

tumblr_ltyrn6fwSd1qcw0nbo1_500.jpg

OMG!!!

Please tell me this isn't your next door neighbour!

Rath - I jutht thtepped on my tongue.

OMG!!!

Please tell me this isn't your next door neighbour!

Rath - I jutht thtepped on my tongue.

Hell no. She lives upstairs and across the hall.