What shall we talk about?

I wasn't planning on saying any more on this thread, but... three things:

First up, yes, I'm well aware of the unavoidable irony of starting a new thread to bitch about people bitching about other threads. I suppose I should be grateful that nobody's started another meta-bitching thread to bitch about this one. I think there's probably a good Inception-related joke here, but I can't make it work, so please insert your own.

Secondly, I didn't write my original post with any particular other thread in mind; it was more a child of growing frustration than any incident in particular. However, it's been interesting to see which examples others have latched on to.

Finally:

If I don't care for a particular thread' date=' I just won't click on it. If I find a thread offensive, I think I'm within my right to see what others think and possibly request that it be removed.[/quote']

Yes, there's a big difference between things that people believe shouldn't be talked about, and things that people find offensive. In the former case, I'm almost entirely unsympathetic; in the latter case, they have a point, but the burden of proof must always be on the would-be censor. The problem then is: who decides what's offensive? That's what Mod/TC are for; sure, the rest of us can bring things to their attention, but we don't get to try and enforce our opinions. Every one of us thinks we're right; that doesn't make it so.

No, not my mom, she died past spring, the previous months to her death she battled cancer. Peritoneal and ovarian cancer took her life. I will pray for her on Christmas Day,we will hold her chair and place for her at the table, for Christmas dinner.She will be dearly missed by family.Merry Christmas to those wonderful mom's out there!

How about your mom? I hear she's been getting a lot of play lately ;)
Edited by PistolPete