Google Chrome vs Firefox

I am currently using google chrome on my computer but some say firefox is better

First question, which is better and why

Second, if firefox is better, how do I transfer favourites etc from chrome to firefox, or do I have to manually re-enter the favourites

Any information appreciated

Thanks

RG

Guest **ng***1

IMHO they are both good browsers. Youll probably have less upgrades with Chrome. Firefox has a lot of upgrades.

Guest S*rca****sid

I prefer Firefox because I found there to be more apps for secure and private browsing.

I feel more secure using Firefox when I have to connect with a secure browser when doing internet banking and other similar things.

I do like using Google as a search engine, but relying on Google to do everything makes me a bit wary. For anyone out there that still uses Internet Explorer, please switch to either Firefox or Chrome!

Guest Ou**or**n

All browsers handle secure browsing as the standard is on the server side (SSL). Even IE is secure for your Internet banking.

Chrome is fast, gives maximum screen real estate and is minimalist - kind of like a Porche. I love that the address field also works as the search field. Great work of software design.

Firefox is really designed for power users who download and install various plug-ins to either manage large quantities of bookmarks or automate other tasks.

I use Chrome for my personal browsing. It updates itself so you never even have to think about it. You can also change the default search engine if you are nervous about Google controlling your life.

Guest S*rca****sid
All browsers handle secure browsing as the standard is on the server side (SSL). Even IE is secure for your Internet banking.

Chrome is fast, gives maximum screen real estate and is minimalist - kind of like a Porche. I love that the address field also works as the search field. Great work of software design.

Firefox is really designed for power users who download and install various plug-ins to either manage large quantities of bookmarks or automate other tasks.

I use Chrome for my personal browsing. It updates itself so you never even have to think about it. You can also change the default search engine if you are nervous about Google controlling your life.

Internet Explorer (IE) is NOT safe. I have not seen one article which suggested or recommended using IE.

Guest Ou**or**n
Internet Explorer (IE) is NOT safe. I have not seen one article which suggested or recommended using IE.

Yes IE is a piece of crap that introduces many security vulnerabilities to your computer as your browse sites that may have attacks targeting IE. However your bank is not such a site and the encryption protecting your session is originating from the server using a standard called SSL. I was merely pointing out that online banking with IE is perfectly safe. Using it for anything else however is risky which is one of many reasons why I use Chrome.

Guest S*rca****sid
Yes IE is a piece of crap that introduces many security vulnerabilities to your computer as your browse sites that may have attacks targeting IE. However your bank is not such a site and the encryption protecting your session is originating from the server using a standard called SSL. I was merely pointing out that online banking with IE is perfectly safe. Using it for anything else however is risky which is one of many reasons why I use Chrome.

SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is not the problem. The problem lies with IE itself. It can easily be hacked and/or spoofed where criminals are able to collect the info from the user. Information like bank card numbers, account numbers, and PIN codes.

With all the vulnerabilities with Windows and their constant weekly updates, why take the risk? Remember, Windows is only updated AFTER the vulnerabilities have been discovered and when they find a fix for them. Which can take weeks.

I installed both, plus Opera. I switched between using them every once in a while. Think it is a good idea to do this. Find myself using Firefox the most.

This is because Opera has made the address bar text illegible and despite its long history of extensive customisation does not allow the user to fix this. Before that I was using Opera 90% of the time.

The elimination of easy to access drop down menus drives me nuts. So I cannot bother with Chrome for too long. Firefox is copying every problem I have mentioned so far, but you can configure those problems away.

In terms of standards support, functionality, etc, etc, it is pretty much the same. Firefox has been around so much long they have many more extensions, but Chrome has a whole wack and getting more all the time. Firefox was getting less efficient every day and using more resources all the time but they have started to address that and the situation is improving.

And I hate to contribute to topic drift, but for all that is holly do not use Internet Explorer for anything.

I'm not exactly sure where Firefox is supposed to sit in the browser market today. I guess it is useful for web developers although I tend to use SeaMonkey for that. I mean for the general internet browser I know most just use IE because it is the default browser available and for those more initiated most tend to choose Chrome over Firefox. I do know plenty who still swear by Firefox, but again, they are all web developers.

I don't mind Chrome on my tower (Old rig, but good), or in windows 7, but I really find it to be too much of a memory pig on my netbook running XP so I use firefox instead.

I like that both have incognito browsing options ;)

I like Firefox seams to handle websites that use the latest version of JavaScript better.

With "Internet Exploder" you'll find some webpages that contain JavaScript unable to work.

We will see what happens in the next couple years with people viewing webpages on there mobile devices we will be seeing a newer accepted browser.

Having used both Firefox and Chrome for a while now I have to give the edge to Chrome just because I've found that it just seems the snappier program of the two. The program loads much faster and it's search efficiency seems to be just a tad bit better. Also I've had some stability issues with Firefox whereas chrome has been pretty much rock solid.

I find that FireFox is better for web developers, mainly because firebug is better than what comes with chrome. But when not working on a website, chrome is the one I prefer for browsing. It really depends what you're looking for. If you just want a fast easy browser I would stick with chrome. You can import your bookmarks by clicking on the customise icon at the top right. In the bookmarks menu there is an item called Import Bookmarks and Settings...

I hope that helps. :) I think the other posters made some great points, as well.