German Me-109 vs Spitfire (just something a little different)

I never knew about the information at the end of the film? Be sure to watch to the end.

Incredible four-minute footage of a desperate Spitfire vs. ME-109 dual. You feel like you are there! Amazing computer work blended in with real

photography.

Also an interesting factual story that many did not know. History is rarely 'over'.

Now sit back and strap on your parachute harness ... it is the Summer of 1940 over the skies of England . Listen to the perfect 'purr' of the Rolls Royce Merlin ...

Watch this full screen. It's very well done. Click on the link below:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/31202906?autoplay=1

• Like 4

That was just awesome!!!! I have been fortunate enough to see the Spitfire a number of times do fly pasts for various military ceremonies over the years, and it truly is the most beautiful plane ever built. Anything to do with the Battle of Britain will always bring a tear to my eye...it was truly our finest hour.

Thanks RG!

As an amateur historian with a strong interest in WW II this is pretty interesting.

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..."

Nice video RG. Very compelling.

When I was in the UK, I visited a converted WWII softfield airport. Now used for civilian purposes, but not much had changed since the old days. Pretty interesting. I could easily imagine Spits taking off to do battle.

They used a nearby old church as the control tower. It was hidden amongst some trees so it was pretty well camouflaged.

Hey that was cool; thanks. I'm glad it was more than just dogfight eye candy. And I thought I recognized that English pilot -- he's Johnny Quid from RockNRolla!

The political stance in question -- I won't spoil it for people who haven't watched it yet -- is pretty smart, given the long-term ambitions of that nation. Don't want to alienate anyone who might be useful down the road... But I'm surprised it would have caught Our Hero by surprise.

I never, ever imagined that British vs. German dogfights ever happened over that particular patch of land though -- I'm trying to imagine how that works fuel-wise for the Germans, who I thought after crossing the channel from France had only 10 minutes over England proper before they had to turn back "home"? And that was one of the big issues in the Battle of Britain.

Sorry, didn't mean to nitpick, just updating my mental model for that little slice of WW2!

EDIT: Okay, yeah, found some discussion on this point and an English/German dogfight in that location is pure fantasy. ;) Some bombers could make it there and back but not single-engine fighters. With that aside... cool movie! Short films are pretty stunning these days. The new software has certainly democratized film-making, and the 'net plus festival circuit has democratized distribution. Only a good thing.

Edited by MightyPen
Fact check! :)

VERY neat!

Did you hear about the Spitfire they found in a UK bog last year? They were able to pull the wing MG's out and able to piece a functional one together out of the lot, which they then test-fired using the ammo that had been buried with the plane.

Amazing. John Moses Browning was a Genius.

And Spitfires are amazing...the right plane, at the right time to save a nation. There's nothing like the roar of a Merlin Engine to get the heart pounding....nothing except 4 of them tuned together when a Lanc rolls it's wheels over your head followed by a pair of Spits. Magnificent.

MS

Additional Comments:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060047/Built-Guns-Spitfire-buried-peat-bog-70-years-time.html

As usual, the cute one always win. The Spitfire is a beautiful piece of work and an incrediable fighter plane, but the real workhorse of the Allied forces in the Battle of Britain was the Hawker Hurricane. The Spits tied up the German fighters while the Hurricanes went after the bombers but in a pinch the Hurricanes could hold their own against the Me 109s.

I think 55% of the German planes shot down in the Battle of Britain were by Hurricanes while 42% were shot down by Spitfires.

I think the combination between the Spitfires and the Hurricanes allowed the allies to use the equiment they had to the best advantage.

I never knew about the information at the end of the film? Be sure to watch to the end.

Incredible four-minute footage of a desperate Spitfire vs. ME-109 dual. You feel like you are there! Amazing computer work blended in with real

photography.

Also an interesting factual story that many did not know. History is rarely 'over'.

Now sit back and strap on your parachute harness ... it is the Summer of 1940 over the skies of England . Listen to the perfect 'purr' of the Rolls Royce Merlin ...

Watch this full screen. It's very well done. Click on the link below:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/31202906?autoplay=1

thanks for posting that. just wish my speakers worked. we owe so much to all branches of the services, past, present and future.

As a former air force pilot who flew jets many years ago I found this piece interesting and very well done. However. the cause of the landing of both the aircraft was a bit of a stretch, read: suicidal manouevre in the real world but makes for great film.

Thanks for sharing it.