avg free not installing.. help or alternative software?

Guest ***t***iv***

appreciate you taking that time to read, this one's been tricky.

I even used the avg remover tool and I still can't get avg free to install. I tried to search for info online too but no luck getting it to work. I read that Windows Defender shouldn't clash something about it being spyware, not antivirus but that is the only thing I can think of...

Hoping maybe someone here can help?

if not, I know there's other free antivirus programs but haven't heard about anything near as good as avg free yet. Any 'alternative to avg free' suggestions?

Guest S*rca****sid

Using the remover tool does what it says it does.. it uninstalls the software. If you give some more details like what operating software you are using (windows XP, or 7) and what happens when you try to install it.

If you want to uninstall the software, use revo uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Download the free version and try installing AVG. You can use it for anything else you want to uninstall, it does a better job than the built in version on programs.

You should consider Panda Security. They have free and paid versions. They also have a free live CD version which connects to the Internet and gets the latest definitions when it is run.

This may be inconvenient in the sense that it does not run itself automatically, but it has the advantage of not being vulnerable to malware that attacks any aspect of booting or hides itself deep in the system.

I heard it, checked it, burned a disc in case I needed it, but I am not a regular user of it and am not specifically recommending it, just suggesting you look at it.

http://www.pandasecurity.com

Guest ***t***iv***

I really like avg but I tried the remover tool and it still wouldn't install. I have windows 7. I then tried avast but that wouldn't install either for some reason. finally, I was able to fully install the trial version of avg, but that runs out in a month.

the windows security essentials that came with windows 7 doesn't seem to be working because windows defender was telling me to get antivirus right away. kept showing me an error message until I installed the temp avg. I will have to check out panda security when that happens.

thanks for all the input and help everyone.

:)

Kaspersky 2012 is another one to have a look at. I have used it for four years now and have had no issues or problems to date...

Rodehard

Hmm.. I'm wondering if the problem is the .exe/installation file. It could that you've downloaded updates on your computer that have made it incompatible. I would re download and get the latest version of AVG and try it.

Failing that head to Canada Computers they sell Panda Antivirus Pro 2012 for $19.99.

AVG is free if you dowload the right one and pay close attention when installing it to select the free version. I always google " free avg canada" and it gets me to the right one. I've had great luck with it. It always works and you only have to re-download when they do a revision of the software. I also use Malwarebytes Anti-malware along with Spybot and have never had any issues.

Too be honest I wouldn't put too much trust in free anti-virus. I've seen it too many times where a user has had a free anti-virus installed and a virus or malware has managed to sneak on without too much trouble. If you do have to go the free route microsoft security essentials, as someone already mentioned, is probably one of the best ones out there. If you decide to pay for one ESET Nod 32 is an excellent program. Also, free tools like malwarebytes antimalware are excellent at rooting out that stuff. Also, steer clear of Google images I've seen a lot of people pick up stuff there.

Free or Paid it's all the same.

I will explain why as most people do think they are safe with antivirus. The truth is you are "Safer" then not having it but really not "Safe"

In order for your antivirus to be effective it needs to know what to look for. that is why it UPDATES all the time with new "Definitions".

When a hacker makes a NEW virus and releases it on the internet the ANTIVIRUS companies must first discover this new virus, examine it write a detection definition and then you need to update your antivirus with that definition.... this all takes time. Paid Antivirus or Not it really does not matter.

Now the paid ones have more money ... Money = more staff and better programmers in most cases so they tend to get the definitions out quicker but only by a slight improved margin.

Here's the thing... with email & webpages the chance of you accidentally downloading a virus, getting infected by a exploit (Bug) in a web browser by visiting a bad webpage or worst and most common... a email gets you!! the virus's move SOO fast and almost always come from sources you think are "trusted" that the antivirus programs can't keep up. By the time the definitions are updated a good percentage of people are already infected... it's basically who avoided it the best. All the antivirus does in many cases is tell you that your screwed after the fact (but still good to know even if it's late it's better then never).

If you have a trojan/virus/worm you need to backup your photos and videos and anything like your resume or text files onto CD's then format the computer and reinstall everything (change your banking login info, paypal, ebay, etc.. - ALL YOUR PASSWORDS - but do this on the FORMATTED SYSTEM or another computer)

It Sucks! I am a computer guy and it has happened to me countless times so those of you who are not very computer savy are at MUCH HIGHER risks... but unfortunately it pretty much happens to all of us eventually.

30% of you have MALWARE / SPYWARE in your system right now that is undetected

10% of you have a virus/trojan/worm

If you notice your computer slowing down (especially when you type fast) or pages taking a little longer to open or odd pop up ads or redirected browsers... you got issues!!

Your antivirus is not going to save you it will just let you know when your screwed! It gives you a little protection from older virus's and malware but it is not 100%.

• Like 1

To add to Mod's post... the various forms of malware work by exploiting problems in the software you're running. One of the best things you can do is to make sure that you keep all the software on your machines up-to-date with the latest patches; that means that even if you do get exposed to a virus or trojan or whatever, it won't be able to get itself established on your machine.

The problem with this is knowing when it needs doing. A lot of software will automatically check for (and sometimes download and install) updates, but not everything. This is a good tool for helping with this on Windows-based machines and keeping everything up to date.

And even that doesn't keep you completely secure; sometimes the bad guys find vulnerabilities first and create malware before a fix exits! So in these cases you still need to keep an eye on what email attachments you open and what websites you visit.