I have been reading up on karma,it's meaning,and find it to be a little confusing,however interesting,and a little disturbing.Do you believe in it ,and what do you think it means.

I have been reading up on karma,it's meaning,and find it to be a little confusing,however interesting,and a little disturbing.Do you believe in it ,and what do you think it means.

"As you sow so shall you reap"- Your deeds, good or bad, will repay you in kind.

Guest W***ledi*Time
"As you sow so shall you reap"- Your deeds, good or bad, will repay you in kind.

That is disturbing. May I ask for mercy instead?

Well from what I have read,the buddists meaning of karma is much more than that,more about past lives,it's affect on your present life,and your present life having affects on your future life.Since none of us can change the past,or control how we lived in our previous lives,then neither can we influence karma,so this is how I've understood it,KARMA can also be good or bad.feel free to correct me if I am wrong,thanks

Guest W***ledi*Time

I think karma is all about our actions ultimately having effects that are in line with the quality of our intentions (be our intentions either good or bad). Which doesn't mean these effects are necessarily understandable by us.

Yes, all we can control at any given moment is our present intentions. The past is past, time runs in only one direction. If one believes in the cycle of rebirth, one may also believe that the intentions of our present acts in this life generate karma that carries forward not only within our current life, but into our future lives as well.

To me karma is be good to all and all will be good to you. Piss a person off badly then karma piss on you. basicly do on to others as have done to you. ok off the soap box for this dude

Karma's fundamental idea is that "even if you can't see or predict how, your moral behaviour in the past affects your present; and your moral behaviour in the present will be repaid in your future."

For me two questions arise:

a) do you believe this is literally, objectively true as a rule of existence?

b) what does the idea mean to you, and how would it affect your life to believe it?

I don't believe the rules of karma are literally true; I've seen too much evil rewarded, and good unrewarded, to accept the idea as a rule of nature. The postponement of promised rewards and penalties to future lives is just a way to prevent us from ever testing and proving/disproving the idea.

But... despite this, I try to live as though it is true. Because something in me responds to the idea, and I would prefer that the world did work that way. So I try to make karma come true around me, by rewarding the good I find in people around me and not rewarding evil. And for the same reasons I try to act well, and not evil, myself.

If enough of us act as though the rules of karma are true... well, eventually they become true because we made it so. And I like that world better than the alternative.

• Like 1

I believe in Karma :) Always be nice to Karma because if NOT she bites really hard. Everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head.... do onto others as you would have them do onto you.....Be kind in all that you do :)

Well from what I have read,the buddists meaning of karma is much more than that,more about past lives,it's affect on your present life,and your present life having affects on your future life.Since none of us can change the past,or control how we lived in our previous lives,then neither can we influence karma,so this is how I've understood it,KARMA can also be good or bad.feel free to correct me if I am wrong,thanks

The momentum of our actions perpetuates and can dictate future actions. So yes, in the since of transgression of our soul, reincarnation theories do say what do in this life time directly can influence our next life. Pretty broad view however, as then we have to get into the topic of what is sin, what does sin mean in my mind vrs your mind....whole other nasty topic though, lol. In Buddhism, they fallow a code of living, The Eight Fold Path. Claims if you were to live by this code of conduct you will have good karma for your life as you are now and the next. Somewhat like the Christain 10 commandments.

Every action has a reaction!! Simple science perhaps? or Divine universal rule?

• Like 1

Really nothing original to add to the thread Basically it's what goes around comes around, do unto others as you would have them do unto you etc etc etc

Be a good person, you will be rewarded in kind

Be a bad person, you will be treated in kind

My morning quick rambling

RG

• Like 1

I am not sure about the dictionary meanings behind Karma.. However my beliefs regarding Karma( we all have our own) are I do believe if you treat someone without dignity and respect then it may come back at you in your life time negatively wether it be emotionally or physically..

And sometimes is deserved....

So as a society if we all did good to one another then we should have happy lives..

Oh if life could/was that easy lol...

• Like 1

I am Wiccan and believe in the 3 fold rule. Whatever you put out there will come back 3 times as strong be that good or bad. I try and live my life as positive as possible and do the best I can.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I was raised to treat others with kindness and respect. Now I'll admit that I am nowhere near perfect and in the past have treated some people less kindly than I should have. But I always try my best to treat others the way I would want to be treated. And I've generally found that what you do unto others gets reflected back to you, good or bad. So in a sense you could say that I believe in karma, or at least positive/negative waves.

• Like 1

Kind of cool idea for a thread, Cristy. I am a completely logical, scientific, analyzing type of being of the sort that one might think would be the very last to accept Karma, yet I oddly base my entire life on perhaps not precisely Karma but something very similar.

Whatever you give, God pays you back with interest (or somebody other than God if you are an atheist).

Ok, so we've all had that stray rock strike our windshield on the highway and whap! and then it cracks and spreads and we get a new windshield and as it's like $400 we just pay by credit card. The glass shop is great, highly skilled, but technologically primitive and has a credit card impression machine with the little carbon copy slips.

Months go by, more months go by, but oddly we haven't seen the charge on the credit card statement. Hmmm (guess this should be in the thread of things that make you go Hmmm), I wonder if that $400 charge for the new windshield will ever show up? It's been like 6 months.

So passing by the auto glass store on my way to the office one morning I stop in and explain the situation, that I had my windshield replaced, paid by credit card and it has never shown up on the credit card statement, did the charge not go through? Was the impression of my credit card not clear enough? What is the problem?

The owner is in "shock"! Like why are you here man? What in the world do you want from me? So I explain, I want only to make sure you get your money. I can't in good conscience drive around with a new windshield I haven't paid for. As it turns out the credit card impression wasn't good enough, the bank rejected it, they hadn't recorded my address or license number and had no way of contacting me, so of course I paid for the windshield, the owner then had to shake my hand and congratulate me for being the last honest person left in the world and I was on my way to the office again. $400 is a lot of money for a small business like this to have to absorb as a loss.

As I travel along the highway I come upon a horrible "black ice" style of accident that had happened about 20 minutes before with lots of cars and carnage involved. Of course I see the flashing lights of the emergency vehicles and slow right down and pass by with that icky feeling we always get but then I realize that it all happened 20 minutes ago and that's just about exactly how long I spent at the auto glass shop. Hmmm

This is but one example of many similar experiences I have had over all the years and all my life of practicing my own particular brand of Karma.

• Like 1