Tecchie Info/Insight Needed

Just wondering if it would be at all possible or advisable to nuke and pave a laptop that has vista pro on it, and DOWNGRADE back to XP media center?

I really don't like vista, and I still have all my computer disks from the desktop so, watcha think?

OH, and I would be getting rid of all that preinstalled crap that comes with new computers as well, gotta love "free" programs;-) from people who know where and how to get them:boobies:

Just wondering if it would be at all possible or advisable to nuke and pave a laptop that has vista pro on it, and DOWNGRADE back to XP media center?

I really don't like vista, and I still have all my computer disks from the desktop so, watcha think?

OH, and I would be getting rid of all that preinstalled crap that comes with new computers as well, gotta love "free" programs;-) from people who know where and how to get them:boobies:

i would and have for family members. you might consider installing OpenOffice (http://download.openoffice.org/) which is legally free both for use and distribution.

• Like 1

check online with the manufacturer about it....it should be no problem....

most machines were built with XP in mind....and they found that Vista works so they instaled it.

So a dump and burn to install XP in 95% of the cases is not a problem.

• Like 1

On most laptops XP will run faster than VISTA and use less resources (and if your stuck with vista basic edition you will want to nuke the laptop literally). The problem you are going to run into however is that most software for the PC is being developed now for vista so you may be left out because of compatibility issues in the future.

I love openoffice and the price is right! It's free!! and the cost of MSoffice is INSANE! I use openoffice myself.

Really what do you use the laptop for? Just browsing the web? If it's too slow and your just using it to browse the web you may want to grab a copy of ubutnu live cd (User friendly version of linux) and you can actually put the CD in and boot up the computer using the LIVE CD (No INstall Needed) and browse the web using firefox. It uses a lot less resources than windows and gives a fresh start to tired laptops. Pull the CD out and reboot the computer and your back in windows - Just a idea to give new life to old laptops.

• Like 1

LOL!!!

I hear this all the time..... If you have a full copy of xp home or pro... then save every piece of personal info on your puter and nuke Vista it totally sucks.... Then reinstall your XP don't forget to get all the XP updates to SP3. Microcrap is comming out with 7. The beta has been tested among many of the geek guru's in cyberland and it seems to be the real next upgrade to XP. VISTA is a huge bloatware program trying to mimmick Apple....LOL, that's like calling George Bush a good president.

If you need more info ..send me a message.

rub

• Like 1

LOL!!!

I hear this all the time..... If you have a full copy of xp home or pro... then save every piece of personal info on your puter and nuke Vista it totally sucks.... Then reinstall your XP don't forget to get all the XP updates to SP3. Microcrap is comming out with 7. The beta has been tested among many of the geek guru's in cyberland and it seems to be the real next upgrade to XP. VISTA is a huge bloatware program trying to mimmick Apple....LOL, that's like calling George Bush a good president.

If you need more info ..send me a message.

rub

That's what I thought, I am going to do that when it arrives. It's a deal from Telus, :oops: but I am just using them for the laptop and keeping my Shaw net.

I have my original XP disks, so this won't be a problem. Just change the boot order to cdrom and then format, and there we go right? :-P That's as much as I can remember from my A+ Classes:sad:

And MOD, never used Linux in my life:shock: the less crap I have on the system, the better. I only use it for the net, and web camming, with basic wordprocessing and that's about it (same reason I am now using my desktop)

And MOD, never used Linux in my life:shock: the less crap I have on the system, the better. I only use it for the net, and web camming, with basic wordprocessing and that's about it (same reason I am now using my desktop)

then a live CD is the way to go get your feet wet. usually there are local LUGs (Linux User Groups) that would be more then happy to hand these CDs out and help show someone the rope for free.

here is one in your area http://www.vanlug.bc.ca/

we love mind share!

Edited by etasman2000
LUG link

If you just use a laptop for web, webcam and word processing you probably won't see any difference in XP or VISTA ... (well if it's vista basic you may notice as it really does suck and it should never have been released as it is MUCH slower than XP home - it is not a upgrade by any stretch of the imagination but rather a way to sell a CHEAP PC and than later sell the UPGRADE to a better version of vista. A big part of buying a new computer is paying for windows as it adds a HUGE chunk of money ot the cost of a system - they decided to sell the BASIC version of ViSTA cheap with the option to UPGRADE to a better version - that is the only reason the basic exists).

Now I should confess... I have Vista (64 bit) running on my work PC ... BUT it's a quad core system with 8gigs of ram and a massive 1gig 9500 video card (and it runs VERY well - much better than windows xpPro - but again it's 64 bit os and the system is maxed out giving lots of room for the bloated OS to run)

My laptop runs 32 bit vista on a dual core - it cam with only 2 gigs of ram (It has the centrino chip set so it actually runs very well with vista - no complaints) but I do find the OS is very bloated on the laptop with the reduced memory so I upgraded it to the max the 32 bit can handle (4 gigs) and it now runs VERY nice.

Hounestly if you just use the laptop for those things and it came with any version of vista other than the BASIC version - just keep it. For about 50.00 you can max out the ram probably and you will be happy with it.

Us geeks like to bitch and complain about all Microsoft products! We all hate microsoft but we all use the products daily (even the hard core anti microsoft guys have a system with windows installed - as world of warcraft runs best on a PC still).

The latest version of ubuntu linux is ALMOST commercial enough for everyone (ALMOST - maybe by next year) but it is MUCH better than vista/xp in that it is not bloated so it's REALLY fast and programs don't usually STALL while the computer waits for windows to finish what it is doing (I HATE THAT)... thankfully my maxed out 64 bit vista does not do that often... only when about 30 windows are open and I am running photoshop and outlook at the same time (as I have about 1000 spam rules running in outlook)

I still have not been able to crash 64 bit VISTA - Seriously (Not once in about 10 months now) I can even leave the computer running for weeks at end without rebooting (I thought it was a miracle) so I am a happy vista user but it did take a bit to find things as they moved shit all around on me in the administration and file structures. Hounestly - I am happy with it but you need LOTS of POWER and RAM.

then a live CD is the way to go get your feet wet. usually there are local LUGs (Linux User Groups) that would be more then happy to hand these CDs out and help show someone the rope for free.

here is one in your area http://www.vanlug.bc.ca/

we love mind share!

A good friend of mine is a member of the Barrie linux users group and they are very helpful to anyone who is willing to explore and try linux. Software Freedom Day is very impressive and worth checking out.

We all hate microsoft but we all use the products daily (even the hard core anti microsoft guys have a system with windows installed - as world of warcraft runs best on a PC still).

i'm hurt, truly hurt. i don't have time for WoW. i spend all my free time on cerb.

I'm running XP pro corp SP3 blue on a custom built clone quad core 4G ram running 4 -1terabite drives fully networked between another PC and G4 mac and this system is unbelievably stable.... Now I'm no puter geek but I do know that Microsoft rushes terrible products to market for only one reason.....market share and to keep shareholders happy!

Any company that does this should be banned and sent to the dungeons and their products never purchased ever again....

Ahh, the beauty of the internet......lol

rub

This is the laptop that I am waiting for: (from Telus and NOT amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGN-NS110E-15-4-Inch-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B001GCUTAW%3FSubscriptionId%3D0D1V2QPEDRAKT25SM102%26tag%3Dbuyitemwanted-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB001GCUTAW#moreAboutThisProduct

Right now I am running a P4 3.06GHZ 250GB HD, WITH 1GM DDR1 400MHZ

Win XP Media Center can we say outdated? :oops:

You will probably have no issues with this as is. It comes with Vista Premium and it's a duo-core with 4 gigs or ram. For want you use the computer for you would be better leaving it with the factory install... ESPECIALLY SONY COMPUTERS - the sony computers have sony specific drivers installed (Some are often hard to acquire) so you could run into some hardware driver issues using windowsXP on this laptop. Chances are you would get XP installed on it and would have some unexpected driver issues. Sony would have tested this A LOT before selling it (that is the benifit from buying a top brand name computer) so it would have been extensivly tested to work with Vista Premium. My suggestion would be to keep it as is.

You will probably have no issues with this as is. It comes with Vista Premium and it's a duo-core with 4 gigs or ram. For want you use the computer for you would be better leaving it with the factory install... ESPECIALLY SONY COMPUTERS - the sony computers have sony specific drivers installed (Some are often hard to acquire) so you could run into some hardware driver issues using windowsXP on this laptop. Chances are you would get XP installed on it and would have some unexpected driver issues. Sony would have tested this A LOT before selling it (that is the benifit from buying a top brand name computer) so it would have been extensivly tested to work with Vista Premium. My suggestion would be to keep it as is.

I wish it was four gigs of ram, this one only has two, but it is still on a dual core processor, so it can't be that bad right? PS, thanks to al the geeks who replied:-P I WILL be removing any unesscessary software, so this I am hoping will be faster then the beast I have at home:?:

It has a 160GB drive so removing unnecessary software in hopes of gaining speed is not going to make a noticeable difference. For about 50.00 you could upgrade it to 4GB as well - You would need 2 Memory modules (easily put them in yourself at the bottom of the laptop) you would need 2 modules (what they call a 4gig kit) 2 X 2GB 667MHz PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (Kingston Value ram from amazon is 39.99 for the 4 gig kit plus shipping for this laptop)

It has a 160GB drive so removing unnecessary software in hopes of gaining speed is not going to make a noticeable difference. For about 50.00 you could upgrade it to 4GB as well - You would need 2 Memory modules (easily put them in yourself at the bottom of the laptop) you would need 2 modules (what they call a 4gig kit) 2 X 2GB 667MHz PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (Kingston Value ram from amazon is 39.99 for the 4 gig kit plus shipping for this laptop)

Thanks for the tip, I don't know if this one that I am expecting is expandable. Is there any way to tell? I can put the ram in no problem myself.. well maybe one problem my long nails tend to get in the way:oops:

Guest S*rca****sid

Have you ever thought about switching to a Linux OS? Runs faster and smoother than anything MS can or would ever make.

Have you ever thought about switching to a Linux OS? Runs faster and smoother than anything MS can or would ever make.

Sure I have thought about it, but never actually did it:-?

Is it a GUI based one?

Sure I have thought about it, but never actually did it:-?

Is it a GUI based one?

yes. there are several variants but the more popular ones are GUI based.

The link I provided in an earlier post would connect you with your local Linux User Group. They would go to the extend of helping you install Linux all for free.

yes. there are several variants but the more popular ones are GUI based.

The link I provided in an earlier post would connect you with your local Linux User Group. They would go to the extend of helping you install Linux all for free.

I am a scaredy cat;-)

I am a scaredy cat;-)

lol. the nice thing is you don't have to install Linux over your current system. most of them can be ran right off the CD/DVD. my main machine connecting the Internet does that.

lol. the nice thing is you don't have to install Linux over your current system. most of them can be ran right off the CD/DVD. my main machine connecting the Internet does that.

DUH! :oops:

I was chatting with another geek and he told me about this program (PC DeCRAPifier) it removes the trial ware and crap from your NEW PC and best of all the program is free.

http://www.download.com/PC-Decrapifier/3000-2096_4-10636481.html?tag=mncol

He said he tried it on a new DELL computer and it worked great. I am going to run it on a new HP computer a little later today and find out how well it works first hand for me.

I was chatting with another geek and he told me about this program (PC DeCRAPifier) it removes the trial ware and crap from your NEW PC and best of all the program is free.

http://www.download.com/PC-Decrapifier/3000-2096_4-10636481.html?tag=mncol

He said he tried it on a new DELL computer and it worked great. I am going to run it on a new HP computer a little later today and find out how well it works first hand for me.

Let me know how that works. I just want an internet beast thats all, nothin fancy:mrgreen: