Why so few on the Qc side

Take your pick, there's something for everyone in this story...

I'd say the same thing it's a gaggle of rednecks all around in that story, each one making life harder for each other. Those Americans who turn away because the signs are in French, am I to understand that they can't read the signs at all? Words like rue, avenue and boulevard require a dictionary present to translate? Then the gas station attendant being rude to tourists by giving them a hard time is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. And then the middle aged friends who are still carrying a grudge because of some treatment they suffered as teenagers.

As someone who is minimum 3 1/2-4 hours away from Ottawa, (depending where in Ottawa I go) and I do go up there, I know if I lived in Ottawa and there was a lady in Gatineau/Hull that I'd like to meet, I'd sure as hell be crossing that bridge. Living in Ottawa, close to Orleans, Kanata, not to mention crossing the bridge to Gatineau/Quebec, really, some of you guys don't know how good you really have it

RG

As someone who is minimum 3 1/2-4 hours away from Ottawa, (depending where in Ottawa I go) and I do go up there, I know if I lived in Ottawa and there was a lady in Gatineau/Hull that I'd like to meet, I'd sure as hell be crossing that bridge. Living in Ottawa, close to Orleans, Kanata, not to mention crossing the bridge to Gatineau/Quebec, really, some of you guys don't know how good you really have it

RG

And... not mentioning the nice golf courses, skiing - both downhill and x-c, and the hiking trails, all within half an hour after crossing the bridge!

Edited by Luckyme
spelling

RG

The fear of the traffic on the bridges is actually something I worry about too, but only during those rush hour periods. It would've been much easier if people let them build the bridge between Pinecrest Road and Aylmer.

All this being said, having lived in Ottawa/Hull-Gatineau for more than 30 years, I have found that people here tend to segregate themselves into little pockets. People from Orleans are astounded that I go shopping in Kanata, or the folks in Kanata think I'm nuts to drive to Orleans for a movie. Hell, if you are downtown on one side of the river people are shocked if you say you are walking to the other down town area. I think it's this mentality of isolation that causes some people to not cross the river.

Not to mention the deplorable public transit...

Posted via Mobile Device

Personally I worry about any interaction with the police at all or even others. Anglophones are typically frowned upon and not being able to communicate definitely makes me uncomfortable. Definitely to the point that I would never cross the border for any "fun".

That is another thing that is crazy. Everyone thinks that the Gatineau (use to be Hull) police are out to just get English people. Trust me they have enough other issues to deal with than to solely focus on English guys visiting SPs. When you think about it even the Ottawa police don't really worry to much about people visiting SPs on the Ottawa side. As long as you are discreet on either side of the river you will have no problems.

I will admit the the old Hull police had a reputation of being pretty hard on English speakers in the past but that was usually because it was the deluge of English speaking drunks leaving Ottawa at 1 am to continue drinking in Hull whose closing time was 3 am. The Hull police in those days did not "suffer fools lightly" and it just so happened most of the fools at that time were English speakers.

Anyway, I think we can wrap this whole discussion up before we get too far down the road of English/French relations.

• Like 3

Non traffic times going to Hull was great to meat a couple of my fav SPs, Peachy and Veronica (PK) Both within 10 mins of the bridge. Awe fond memories.

I have never had problems with clients not wanting to cross the river. Actually they always seemed kind of surprised to how easy it is to travel accross the bridge. They are also less worried about someone they know seeing them. There are many benefits across the river. Almost seeming unlimited parking and great places for great prices. Hull or Gatineau should never be looked at as a bad place to travel to or work at.

May I add a quick point. Someone else said about people isolating themselves from different areas in Ottawa. Ie Kanata vs downtown. There are poeple who live downtown who are not willing to go to Kanata and vise versa. You can't make everyone happy.

Also rude people are everywhere. If I stoped going somewhere because someone was rude to me. I would have very little places to go to,lol. Customer service has gone down the drain but that's for another thread.

You are absolutely right, Peachy. If we have to avoid all the rude people in the world, there'll be no place else to go. We should all learn to be tolerant of each other - then the world will be a better place.

Things have really changed. I remember the days of visiting Montreal as a teenager and encountering the 'if you don't try to speak french I will thumb my nose at you' experience... then a few years ago being on crescent and my bf at the time who was french speaking to the hostess at a restaurant and she replied to him in english! I laughed at how much things have changed.

Yes.. I used to also be one of the teens who came all the way from Queen's in Kingston to party in hull because we relished the later times to party. What a blast in those days. Downtown hull is not the same :( but it still has some of that awesome charm. I shop in Hull/Gatineau fairly often and have no issues being an anglophone. They still have more flair in clothing than we do and I like it!

Hey :) I live in quebec side :) On the plateau in hull, boulevard des grives intersection of boulevard du plateau.

brand new condo really nice with nice area :) really discrete...

the good thing is. if u are married and want to escape for a little fun afternoon, you sure than nobody will reconise you there if u dont know nobody in quebec side :) ahahahaha

And the fear of quebec side.. like peachy said if u are a reliable sp and well reviewed like her.. you will have no problem cause people know you are reliable and trustable :)

so maybe some day will receive people in quebec side.. and i do hope people will travel to see me ;) xoxox

happy friday xp

And the fear of quebec side.. like peachy said if u are a reliable sp and well reviewed like her.. you will have no problem cause people know you are reliable and trustable :)

so maybe some day will receive people in quebec side.. and i do hope people will travel to see me ;) xoxox

I don't think you'll have any trouble attracting people over to your condo on Quebec side, you're already well-known. It's the traveling SP's who are here temporarily that might have some trouble getting people to visit them on that side of the river. Established local providers have the easier time of it.

• Like 1