Just curious about other members here. What (if anything) do you sacrifice in order to enjoy this 'hobby'? Perhaps it's that big screen plasma TV, or a new car or that patio the spouse has been on your case to put in two summers ago?

I actually have the money budgeted each month now. Since I do not have a significant other I can spend my salary the way I wish. Plus I already have everything I need, so don't need to sacrafice anything at this point to continue hobbying.

Lately, I don't have much free time to spare so "time" would be my sacrifice.

• Like 1

I had to stop paying my bills and taxes because they were getting in the way...

Seriously, I don't care much for 'stuff' and have the simple pleasures I want/need, so the hobby doesn't limit me elsewhere. However, I probably could be wiser and budget better so that I am more prepared for the future. Hmmm, I guess savings would be my answer then. But I look at this as a temporary period in my life as I would not partake in it if I were in a relationship, and decided to have fun/sow oats/be adventurous or whatever since the opportunity may not arise again.

Just curious about other members here. What (if anything) do you sacrifice in order to enjoy this 'hobby'? Perhaps it's that big screen plasma TV, or a new car or that patio the spouse has been on your case to put in two summers ago?

1. You only live once.

2. You can not take it with you.

3. Your along time dead.

4. Have fun hobbying :smile:

Instead of getting that 65" LCD TV get a 46" LCD TV.

I am not materialistic, just realistic.

Time mostly, when I visit during the day I have to catch up with work at night or over the weekend.

The money does come up from some of my retirement funds but may as well enjoy it while I am able to remember how :)

a guarantee lay is worth postponing a trip.

especially with the sexiest woman on here and you all know who I mean. repeat reeat, repeat repeat!!!;-):lol:

Interesting thread, I think if any of us were "sacrificing" we would not be hobbying? I could have a newer car, I could have a bigger TV ( I actually have an 15 year old 20 inch TV) I have not time for TV anyway. I get my work done that is required to sustain my standard of living and skim of the top for cash and time. My house is 3000 square feet and for my wife and I it is probably big enough, ya it could use some updating but I don't spend a lot of time in it. I could live in a less middle class neighborhoud but I like Alta Vist. And I hate vacations for no reason, now if I had lots of cash and a more understanding wife I would vacation with my favourite SP's!! My wife is kind of a downer on Vacations cause she over plans and micro manages, no too mention over spending on all the wrong stuff!! Seadoos horses night clubs these are worthy travel expenses, not new clothes :( They have clothing shops in Ottawa!! Why do we have to go into every one on our holidays? Enough about that.

I think at the end of the day we all make a standard of living that we are comfortable with and Hobby accordingly. It is human nature to produce what we need. The first time I met a lady I had a part time High School job, I was heading over to hull to try and pick-up some other high school chick that I had not met yet, and realized I had a long night of buying drinks and dancing and trying to plum my feathers to win there affections and was not looking forward to it. I drove down Murray and at Dalhousie the ladies were standing looking for men. Now this was an easy way! I had seen Risky Business so I was fully prepared!! :D The lady was 100 and that was a little more than my budget for drinks etc... but not much. Had a great time we even went for a little cruise after wards and I was hooked. At this point in time I realized that my minimum wage job was not going to support the lifestyle I wanted and I became an entrepreneur. We make lifestyle adjustments to support our way of life.

I guess this is a really long answer to a simple question.

• Like 1

Guest i***k***

Personally this is the last thing I spend on in my discretionary spending list, so I sacrifice nothing for it. I definitely budget and this is on "the list" but is also the first to be cut back or eliminated if there is a major change in my circumstances. While I love the hobby it definitely isn't my top priority.

Posted via Mobile Device

A guy who became a business success just to support his SP habit. Dummpy, you continually inspire me. Seriously, that's so cool in a somewhat warped but very appealing way.

At this point in time I realized that my minimum wage job was not going to support the lifestyle I wanted and I became an entrepreneur. We make lifestyle adjustments to support our way of life..

For me, on the other side of the spectrum, I trade off being in a relationship (or actively looking or considering men for relationships) and decide to work instead. I love working in this hobby. It allows me to decide when I work, where I work PLUS it is soooo fun! But I would imagine it difficult for a guy to accept that his new girlfriend does this.

I often meet interresting men, but I never let it go far emotionally because I am certain that they wouldn't want me in this, and right now in my life, I just don't want to give it up!

I am addicted to the hobby and therefore stopping many wonderful possible relationships.

• Like 1

I don't know if I would want to keep doing this work if I meet the right guy..

I am scared to meet him and I am scared to fall in love cause I am scared to lose a bit of myself, this job included.

Then you're probably not ready for a long-term committed relationship just yet. When it stops being scary, maybe you'll know you've found the right one.

Or maybe when I find the right one, it will stop being scary... Or maybe I will be an old maid all my life.. I actually do not even mind this idea.. 'never married, but had many lovers (instead of the many cats..)'

:)

I would agree with Dummpy, we all really can't be sacrificing to much if we really like hobbying. Atleast I don't call it sacrificing if you spend some quality time with a beautiful women or two just enjoying yourself. The feeling that you get hobbying is better then sitting infront of the big screen or purchasing that fancy sports car.

If you work hard you need to play hard and enjoy what you have. Some might say it is easier to say if you live in a huge house and have the sports car but I would trade my sports car and my huge house to have more time with my favorite or soon to be favorite SP's.

The hardest time for me is finding that SP that will take late night appointments since I work very long hours.

I cancelled my NHL Centre Ice package and only eat Kraft dinner.

On a serious note, the sacrifice that is made here would be that much less money in my savings, and I find hobbying worth every penny. It would be called happiness, not sacrifice!