iPhone vs Android

It's new-phone-time.

Any thoughts on the iPhone vs Android debate? I'm currently leaning towards Android as it's a more open platform (even though I don't trust Google further than I can spit), although the iPhone does seem to have more apps, and probably a better UI 'cos Apple are just *good* at that stuff...

I'm a convert from Apple to Android. The main reasons are: the UI and home screens are customizable with Android, and I don't have to fuck around with iTunes to get my data onto my device. I can do everything through Windows Explorer or even FTP. Android is way more user friendly from my experience. And they have every app you could look for or want that Apple has.

I like both products, both iPhone and Android. That said, there is a down side and an up side to both.

My main problem with Apple is they seem to think they still own your phone, even after you buy it from them, wanting you to return it to them to have a new battery installed (yes, I know people do it themselves including replacing a broken screen but any warranty is gone and it's isn't all that easy either). If you are a Mac user, iTunes is fine but it is a pretty crummy piece of software on the PC or Windows platform. Aside from that, iPhone is pretty slick and does more than most need.

Android, yes more open and probably more open to evil software and problems or lower quality apps that crash a bit. But that is getting better all the time and it is very versatile, even more so than iPhone these days and has become even better in the time it took me to write this post :)

I'm not an iPhone guy myself but have worked with them setting up email and things for others. We have a lot of Android converts at one of the offices I work at that gave up their iPhone, now use Android and wouldn't go back.

Right now it's probably more like a GM vs. Ford kind of thing. As for predicting the future, whatever phone you have it will be junk within a year anyways but the number of new Android activations continues to be staggering, of course the number of iPhones being sold is almost as impressive.

Both excellent products.

I have an Iphone as my personal phone and an Android for my work one.

iPhone hand out, it's way easier to navigate and type than my android.

I am not really teck savy so I couldn't you what is the best for that...but iPhone is easier to handle:)

@backrubman. Apple may own your phone but Google will own your data forever. Your relationship with Apple ends as soon as you're done using the iPhone. For that reason, I will never consider Google.

There's an alternative just around the corner. Windows 8 Phone should be out of the gate in the fall. If you're not in a rush, you can check it out when it's available in stores.

ANDROID all the way.. -- :) apps are amazing.. plus more options.. samsung galaxy is wicked!!! wish i would have bought that one instead of the new windows.. :( stupid nokia lumina 800 sucks... colors are cool.. but crappy

soooo ANDROID .. YAHOOOO!!!!

Listen I went from this

old-cell-phone.jpg

To this.....

Refurbished_Apple_iPhone_4_Smart_Cell_Phone_8GB_16GB_32GB.jpg

and the apps are much better on the second one, plus it has my 4000 plus songs on it, and I can plug it my car and listen to music,charge it in my car, and oh yes hands free, and very easy for my huge hands to type on. I love my Iphone.

That's just my humble opinion. ;)

I forgot to mention video at 1080 P is fantastic aswell. It is really cool using the voice commands.

I am not a real techie so I would imagine there would be so much more that could be done with this phone.

Also it is easily expandable with a good and fast microSD card ( class 10 recommended ) , try to do that with a SnApple phone. Lol.

They are both cool products I must add.

I don't actually have an iphone, but I do have an ipod touch 4 which is virtually identical minus the actual phone component and some other features but otherwise it's virtually identically. I do have an android phone I recently picked up and I definitely notice a difference.

The apple devices are all around just easier to use and they have more apps but since getting my android I just prefer the android device to the apple device. The android device just gives me more control over a variety of features and is easier to customize to exactly how I want it. Also transferring files to and from the android device is just so much easier and you don't have to use itunes which I find makes transferring files way harder than it needs to be. The android device also has support for more file types than apple so you can watch videos without having to convert them on an android device. I will let you know though that apple has an app, cinexplayer, that does allow you to play a variety of different video types on your ipod/iphone. And even though apple does have way more apps right now android is only going to get better and pretty soon apps won't be as much a factor. I still like my ipod but I'm glad I went with the android. And did I mention you can get a decent pay as you go android phone for 150 bucks.

I've had an iphone and like it for what it was, it is easy to use for people who are not very tech savy.

I now have an Android phone with ICS on it and i haven't looked back, it rarely crashes on me and the UI is easy to use. I do like the customization features and like the ability to change the home screen and alter it the way i want and Android utilizes Widgets.

I'm not a big app guy and could careless how many Apple has, really if you think about it how many apps do you really use?...for me not that many. So the apps on Android are more than suffice for me.

On my phone i have a larger screen to view webpages, which is important. Also i can treat my device like a mass storage and just drop files into the phone and be able to play or view them...even from my Mac Air...i can still use itunes if i wish or drop mp3s onto the phone and all will play...can't do that on the iphone.

Both have their particular features, Apple's ease of use and Android for customization and personal preferences.

At the moment i prefer Android.

Thanks for your thoughts, all! It's sounding like Android is the way to go. I must admit, I don't trust either Apple or Google to have the slightest bit of respect for any kind of privacy... I fear the only solution to this is to not tell your phone things (and not use it to log into FB, etc so it can't harvest data from there).

And yes, I'm well aware that whatever I get will be obsolete within a month. 'Twas ever thus.

Guest Ou**or**n

The thing that disappoints me about Android phones are the various vendor's extremely spotty (read poor) support for upgrades to Android. Once a vendor has sold you a phone they have no incentive to spend $$ rolling out upgrades that don't benefit them (but in fact cost $$ to support as they each run customized versions of Android). A phone running bright and shiny ICS today is sadly not likely to ever see more than one upgrade.

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Apple on the other hand has been excellent at continuing to upgrade IOS and to make those upgrades run on as much of their older hardware as possible. Apple wants their customers to stay as their customers.

Microsoft - awe come on, if you bought a Win 7 phone you're already at a dead end as Microsoft announced the furthest they will be supported is to Win 7.8.

Many car audio systems have specific support for iPhones and a whole generation of cars are coming with support for SIRI and voice command of a multitude of tasks while driving.

Thanks for your thoughts, all! It's sounding like Android is the way to go. I must admit, I don't trust either Apple or Google to have the slightest bit of respect for any kind of privacy... I fear the only solution to this is to not tell your phone things (and not use it to log into FB, etc so it can't harvest data from there).

And yes, I'm well aware that whatever I get will be obsolete within a month. 'Twas ever thus.

Well I still say it is still a matter of personal preference at this time. As for Goggle not respecting my privacy I really have yet to see this, but then I do pay them for Google Apps for business. Certainly I have caught the FaceBook app for Android (and facebook app for iPhone would no doubt do the same), raping my contact list.

I think privacy is YOUR responsibility because if you assume you have it you are doomed. Google has a "yes, we collect data" policy be we do no evil with it, I haven't seen this proven wrong yet (perhaps much to my demise) :)

Do you trust Microsoft? Do you trust Apple? Do you trust Google?

Dam it, trust no one. But these darn smart phones are just too smart to ignore the benefits whatever incarnation you may choose.

The thing that disappoints me about Android phones are the various vendor's extremely spotty (read poor) support for upgrades to Android. Once a vendor has sold you a phone they have no incentive to spend $$ rolling out upgrades that don't benefit them (but in fact cost $$ to support as they each run customized versions of Android). A phone running bright and shiny ICS today is sadly not likely to ever see more than one upgrade.

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Apple on the other hand has been excellent at continuing to upgrade IOS and to make those upgrades run on as much of their older hardware as possible. Apple wants their customers to stay as their customers.

I would agree with everything you wrote. I have the first version of ICS (4.0.1) and not the lastest versions. However, it not Google's fault and more the carriers for not releasing the last versions and not too sure why they don't...so not happy with that.

But i do disagree with your statement on Apple. I had a 3G and when the 4 came out with the latest software (IOS 4, i think) it would hardly run on my phone, actually i never upgraded past 3.1.3 i think, as anything above it would slow it down. And it got to the point where most of my apps wouldn't run anymore on the phone...so Apple pretty much forced me to buy a new phone to keep current (figuratively and literally)...hence not going back to Apple.

Apple wants you to remain their customers by buying the latest iphones, to keep current.

anyways, that's my take and experience.

• Like 1

I just don't get the part why the OS upgrades are not made available to older hardware models. It appears that the hardware makers don't expect you to use one for a year or longer.

Went from iPhone 4 to Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3, and when the iPhone 5 is out, I'm back to what was stable. Lots of problems like:

- at maximum setting, screen is very dim when outside during the day.

- when set on ambient light setting, the display of my phone with another Samsung Galaxy S II was considerably dimmer.  

- occasionally the phone will just power off for no reason, sometimes powering right back on, sometimes it must be manually powered on.

- a couple times I've plugged the phone in to the charger, it indicates it charging, only to pick it up an hour later and it's lost power instead of gained charge.

- when leaving the house and disabling wifi, sometimes apps such as mail and browser no longer have a network connection. Turning wifi on and off or switching to airplane mode on and off sometimes works. Other times its necessary to power phone off and on to get it working.

- battery life is very poor and I've even ensured to occasionally allow battery to lose all power before recharging.

- find the GPS in the device to be somewhat slow to respond.

- with the variety of keyboards, it takes twice as long to compose something on Android.

And OS updates.....get them direct from Apple and don't need to wait for the carrier to tweak it first. I'm still waiting for Android 4.0!

Now I switched to Android as I thought it would be more configurable but that only open my phone to vulnerabilities from suspect apps. I now run a content checker and an anti-virus app on my phone! That's the reason I ditched Windows for Mac.

So going back to something that works and is dependable.

I just don't get the part why the OS upgrades are not made available to older hardware models. It appears that the hardware makers don't expect you to use one for a year or longer.

Well like what's in it for them? It's an older model, they are not selling it any more and anyone that has it, well they already got your money so why do anything that takes their time (and therefore money). And then there is the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" thing, so they come out with this "upgrade" you are looking for and it breaks something and now they have to own that. I don't know why any business would take risks without a reward or do something that costs them money but doesn't make any in return for them. That said, if it is a popular model, lots of custom ROMs and upgrades available on the Internet to suit any taste.

Went from iPhone 4 to Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3, and when the iPhone 5 is out, I'm back to what was stable. Lots of problems like:

- at maximum setting, screen is very dim when outside during the day.

- when set on ambient light setting, the display of my phone with another Samsung Galaxy S II was considerably dimmer.

So your Galaxy S2 is different than another when set to use ambient light as a guide to screen brightness? Well then we have a hardware problem, obviously.  

- occasionally the phone will just power off for no reason, sometimes powering right back on, sometimes it must be manually powered on.

- a couple times I've plugged the phone in to the charger, it indicates it charging, only to pick it up an hour later and it's lost power instead of gained charge.

Both of these issues seem related, probably a poor (intermittent) connection to the battery.

- when leaving the house and disabling wifi, sometimes apps such as mail and browser no longer have a network connection. Turning wifi on and off or switching to airplane mode on and off sometimes works. Other times its necessary to power phone off and on to get it working.

Well that makes some sense. If you intentionally disabled Wifi you just turned off the network it was using, how rude not to give you that email or web page with no network :) Seriously, with Wifi it won't connect (at least mine won't) to just anything and this is a good thing. Two tools have cured me of this kind of problem. I use "Wifi manager" to decide what Wifi network to connect to and also Widgetsoid "toggles" to quickly turn on or off Wifi and my data. Once you get used to using these toggle buttons and Wifi Manager (yeah, this should have been part of the Andoid OS" then everything falls into place on this one.

- battery life is very poor and I've even ensured to occasionally allow battery to lose all power before recharging.

Well that isn't even necessary any more (to drain before charging) because it isn't NiCad any more, it's lithium-ion and it doesn't have "memory", of course your memory of batteries that used to have memory is still in tact :) In fact these new batteries are "opposite" of what you remember. The more you charge them when they are not completely exhausted the longer they will last so if you are treating your battery like you used HAVE to, then that would explain it. But the screen does take a LOT of power, so unless we have nuclear batteries...

- find the GPS in the device to be somewhat slow to respond.

Yes, I have to agree with you there. But then my phone also makes a poor vacuum cleaner too :)

- with the variety of keyboards, it takes twice as long to compose something on Android.

Reminds me of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home:

Scotty: Computer! Computer? [He's handed a mouse, and he speaks into it]

Scotty: Hello, computer.

Dr. Nichols: Just use the keyboard.

Scotty: Keyboard. How quaint.

You should talk to your Android more often, it's probably lonely. When I arrived in Ottawa last evening I spoke to mine like this. "Text message to wifey: finally arrived in Ottawa after flight delayed, call you when I get to the hotel". Never touched the "keyboard" and it heard, understood and obeyed, opened up a new text message addressed to wifey and typed exactly what I said, I would have been surprised with any other result, keyboard, eh? How quaint. :)

And OS updates.....get them direct from Apple and don't need to wait for the carrier to tweak it first. I'm still waiting for Android 4.0!

Well I have a choice of 20 or 30 different "upgrades" for my phone but I choose not to bother with them. It is what it is when it is what it is.

So going back to something that works and is dependable.

And that is what really matters in this Android vs. iPhone or Ford vs. GM thread. What ever you are more comfortable using. I had a flip phone, like a Motorola W385 (one up from the original Razor) until about a year ago. No one could believe they still worked :)

I'm not sure this smart phone thing is all a good thing. Yesterday, I get on the plane and EVERYONE (except me) in executive class is staring at a BlackBerry like it has some mysterious "power" over them, I swear they were all like zombies! It actually kinda freaked me out! I think if I could broadcast the right hypnotic image to all those little screens at once I could have mind control over the entire world! Hmmm.... seems the smart phone manufacturers have beat me to it.

So it sounds like you have an S2 that works different from another S2 configured the same way? And an intermittent connection to your battery? And still treat batteries like we used to have to? And have a lonely phone because you never talk to it and use the keyboard?

Hope this helps!

Guest Ou**or**n

A few other points I find in favour of the iPhone...

If it breaks (and these things to, see above above comments on the Galaxy) and you live in a city with an Apple store you just take your phone in and they'll give you a replacement. Apple tracks your warranty through your iTunes account so you don't have to do anything to prove it's in warranty.

If it breaks outside of warranty, again take it to an Apple store and sometimes they'll offer you a refurbished model for only a couple of hundred dollars. This is a lot cheaper than buying a new unit.

If you break something on the phone you can take it to a number of third party stores in every city that stock major parts (front and rear glass, digitizers, etc.) and can repair it for very reasonable costs.

Battery replacements can also be done by these companies - no need to send it to Apple.

If you have an Android, in-warranty repairs are hard and out of warranty repairs are nearly impossible.

Here is one susch site: http://www.palmmediccanada.com/repair.htm

The yearly IOS upgrades may slow down models greater than 2 years old but the market for used iPhones is so robust you can buy a phone on a 36 month contract but sell it for enough money to cover the fees to early upgrade. Thus if you stay on contract you can always keep your phone current within 24 months. The widespread availability of iPhone unlocks make selling used phones fast and easy.

If you don't want a contract buying a used iPhone can be quite cost-effective. If you have a friend with a 7-11 in their city you can buy a SIM and get a $10 a month data plan and great pre-paid minute pricing.

iPhone

I cannot believe Microsoft made it into this thread, but since I know she uses that device to take pictures of her hotness I cannot fault Sweet Shay for bringing up M

@backrubman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmGjB-G6v8

Additional Comments:

So I just freed myself from iPhone and iTunes... I got myself a Google Galaxy Nexus and I'm updating it manually to the latest release, Jellybean.

I think Android is for the more techno savvy users who like to tinker and hack... and that's why I favour Android over Apple.

• Like 1

I currently have an iphone 4 32gig. It's nice and I have no complaints but when I get the chance I will most likely switch to a samsung or possibly HTC.

I work at a job that allows me to try out the latest smart phones and tablets here are some things I've learned so far.

In my experience the iphone's most appealing quality is the app store/ itunes.

The android phones give consumers choice specially on the hardware side of things (things like screen size, memory, camera resolution).

The weakness of the iphone in my experience is that you are stuck with the hardware performance until apple releases a new phone or the they update their OS to take advantage of new hardware (i.e. like when they released IOS 5). Most graphic intensive apps, games in particular, benefited greatly from ios 5.

The android is almost the complete opposite. The variety of manufactures allow the consumer to choose the best hardware for them. If you want a big screen no problem and iff not get something else. Expandable storage for media no problem most have a mini SD. Customized versions of the OS can be found on the internet for those who like to tinker or are not happy with the OS their vendor packaged with the phone. Some OS versions will even increase the performance of the phone.

The weakness of the androids come from google's bizarre handling of its app store. They changed the name from google market place to google play..why ...its like they are not sure of the direction they want to go. They're awful at promoting new apps via google play (editor's picks are always the same, user has to dig through app database to find the gems). I have personally seen their billing system fail miserably on a few occasions. In general making apps for android is less appealing from a developer point of view. Although android phones out number apple's the returns on development are much higher on iphone.

Developing apps for the android means testing on possibly dozens of devices. Since there is no standardization in hardware. What ends up happening is that you can get an app that runs great on one phone and is barely use able on another. This discourages development on android exclusively and leads to most apps having been ported over from iphone. Which then just adds another layer of testing that needs to be done just to make sure the apps work properly. This sometimes means some developers chose to develop on iphone/ipad only because its just not worth the bother to port to android.

Its already been talked about but it really comes down to how tech savy you are and how much time you want to spend tinkering with your smart phone. Those who just want to get on with it should get an iphone. Those who like to have a choice in hardware and OS should go with android.

I don't think there is a 'better' choice. It depends on the person.

....but man that new samsung s3 is some nice :P

I bought a galaxy note and never looked back. I previously had a nokia E7 working with symbian. It had the option of the slide up screen to expose a nice hard keypad, I am not a fan of touch screen txting. (big fingers).. lol

I sometimes use an iphone and I do like the smooth feel of apple, but overall I am an android fan. Especially with the note's 5.3" screen and the stylus pen. The ICS 4.04 is nice, I do hope there will be an option to upgrade to jellybean, before the note 2 comes out.

Absolutely Android. I have my eyes on the Galaxy Note. It`s big enough to have some useful screen real estate and small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. But at $750 or 3 year contract, ouch !

Previously owned iPhones, now have an Android.

iPhone will work, but will limit you if you like to do lots with your phone. I used to jailbreak mine and just barely got the functionality that I get out of the box with an Android. But if you don't want to customize everything and are happy with the way apple does things, buy the iPhone!

For me, I'll never go back to apple for my phone.