So, I really find the question of romance an interesting one. When I was much younger, I used to look at some of the guys that were sweet talkers and always seemed to get the ladies. But I knew these guys and frankly it was more of an act than genuine.

I am not much of an actor, and not much for open public affection. So for me romantic, is being honest, telling the person that you care about how much you care about them, and giving them yourself passionately in love making.

So, I am a private romantic, certainly not a public one.

The idea of romance is alive and well in my mind , though is indeed difficult to define. The dictionary definition posted by Nathalie for the most part seems rather cold and mechanical and that is the anethisis of romantic to me. The closest part of that definition is the use of the two words idealism and chivalry. I have always been idealistic and even after all of these years I still feel that I have not lost my idealism.

I do like Nathalies simple statement of romance being the inspiration to make someone feel special. When one meets a person for whom the desire for romance becomes instinctive, a natural act, something that you strive for with pleasure, then you know there is that connection present between the two of you.

In a great relationship those things would commonly be present but also there will be the desire to prepare those extra special moments that might include the candles, and massage oils, the culinary treat, and all of the little nuances that you know your partner enjoys and appreciates.

Sitting in a small cafe for hours sharing a bottomless pot of coffee or tea and discussing and talking and laughing - with truths and feelings being shared is another way of feeling a romance or building a romantic atmosphere. Part of the 'romance' is the ability to 'know' the other person and that simply takes time for a meeting of the minds to occur.

I believe that it would be difficult be it as a hobbyist/patron or SP/MA to be a romantic in a short encounter, but this is where the illusion comes in. A short encounter for the first time, where one walks into a room with the lighting dimmed, the candles burning, with the lady having taken time to dress and prepare and making it clear from the moment that you meet that there is only one focus for her - that can help to create that romantic feeling that I enjoy.

I like to think that I am a romantic and that it is something that I shall never lose, both in real life and in this environment.

Romantic, at least in this lifestyle, is somewhat of a minefield. Yes, I would say there are ladies who create the romantic atmosphere, but atmosphere is but a part of being romantic. I say a minefield, only because both parties must remember this isn't a true committed romance, leading to a permanent relationship with one another. And you can enjoy the moment, but remember, it is a moment, not a capital R Relationship and not for a lifetime. Hope that comes out right

But romantic in this lifestyle goes beyond atmosphere, and beyond the sexual. To me, romantic involves a level of trust. A comfort level develops between both parties to share personal aspects of their lives. And this sharing, it is private, something special between the two of you.

That to me is intimacy. It happens when you connect/click with a lady. There are things shared with me, and things I've shared with special ladies, which are between us And no, nothing ever told to me in private gets shared. (well except for recommendations, but only after the lady approves)

So in short, to me romantic is more than ambiance (low lighting, candles etc), and it is more than sexual, it is the intimacy created when two people trust one another to share aspects of their lives

And that trust comes from getting to know one another, something I don't believe can happen on a first one hour encounter with a lady. But if you meet ladies you click with, and spend time with them on repeat encounters, it can happen, and it can be very special

RG

Romance is like dancing, just the two of us and some times I lead and some times you lead and in the end ideally we're dancing together...

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I believe that it would be difficult be it as a hobbyist/patron or SP/MA to be a romantic in a short encounter, but this is where the illusion comes in. A short encounter for the first time, where one walks into a room with the lighting dimmed, the candles burning, with the lady having taken time to dress and prepare and making it clear from the moment that you meet that there is only one focus for her - that can help to create that romantic feeling that I enjoy.

I agree that it is hard to establish this in a first encounter with a patron, especially if the encounter is short. It is easier to develop this with time and through repeat encounters, as RG mentioned below...

To me, romantic involves a level of trust. A comfort level develops between both parties to share personal aspects of their lives. And this sharing, it is private, something special between the two of you.

That to me is intimacy. It happens when you connect/click with a lady. There are things shared with me, and things I've shared with special ladies, which are between us And no, nothing ever told to me in private gets shared. (well except for recommendations, but only after the lady approves)

So in short, to me romantic is more than ambiance (low lighting, candles etc), and it is more than sexual, it is the intimacy created when two people trust one another to share aspects of their lives. And that trust comes from getting to know one another, something I don't believe can happen on a first one hour encounter with a lady. But if you meet ladies you click with, and spend time with them on repeat encounters, it can happen, and it can be very special

RG

The sharing that occurs when we trust is beautiful. This isn't necessarily applicable to the SP/patron relationship, but it definitely can be. There are many patrons I am proud to call friends who I trust with the intimate details of my life. It is very special when this happens and these relationships/encounters I will cherish for the rest of my life.

I love feeling inspired in that sense. Trust is a really beautiful thing and friends are sometimes hard to come by :)

I agree that it is hard to establish this in a first encounter with a patron, especially if the encounter is short. It is easier to develop this with time and through repeat encounters, as RG mentioned below...

The sharing that occurs when we trust is beautiful. This isn't necessarily applicable to the SP/patron relationship, but it definitely can be. There are many patrons I am proud to call friends who I trust with the intimate details of my life. It is very special when this happens and these relationships/encounters I will cherish for the rest of my life.

I love feeling inspired in that sense. Trust is a really beautiful thing and friends are sometimes hard to come by :)

I agree Nathalie. It is very special, and those ladies that have honoured me by sharing aspects of their lives, and me sharing aspects of my life with them I truly do cherish. I value the connections I have made with ladies in this lifestyle as much as other important people in my life

A quick additional thought. One has to be open to the idea that connections can be made, and it takes time to establish that level of trust.

RG

Romance to me is the time used to effectively communicate your feelings for someone, to observe their needs listen to their heart to unselfishly give of yourself -acts that leads to true intimacy

I love romance!

Of course the obvious gestures ... Gifts, holding a door for a lady, flowers (just because) are all so important.

But what I really like is when romance becomes embedded in how two people interact ... The looks across a room that crackle with electricity. The touch of a hand that sends shivers down your spine. The knowing smile, the secret joke that no one else is aware of. Then, romance is passion, bottled up and waiting to explode. Such intensity is the holy grail!

Porthos

I am and always will be a romantic. When dealing with ladies of this life, I am always polite and friendly, I'm patient and I compliment them well. Also, I believe in being generous. Same thing with the ladies I meet from outside this life. It's my personality.

I love romance!

Of course the obvious gestures ... Gifts, holding a door for a lady, flowers (just because) are all so important.

.... Such intensity is the holy grail!

Porthos

Interesting that from an historical perspective Romance as a concept began with the chansons de geste of the 12th century - variants of heroic poems. It was all about the deeds and "courtoisie" to win the hand of the Fair Lady. Gifts and lady's favours.

I would suppose the nearest now is simply the making of each other feel uniquely special when together.

The tools may vary with our skills: some converse better than they can cook - I belong to the King Arthur school of baking for example, but can usually string a few sentences together. I am a traditional kind of person though, and like to hold the doors, be the best host I can, that sort of thing.

In the end I do believe it comes down to the degree of "chemistry".

Absent that "connection" or chemistry, any action or statement can be viewed with cynical eyes and thus look to be self serving. With a well suited coupe on the other hand, even the simplest of things - a shared cup of tea or coffee as above - can take on an aura of Romance and leave a deep and lasting impression.

Now where is my White Charger and shining armour?.....

CB

Romance means so much to so many people, there are a zillion and one ways to be Romantic....while I consider myself somewhat of a romantic, here's a simple definition of what it means to me: basically romance is about two people sharing and creating a moment in body, mind, and soul...but even more important than this definition is to remember that even the smallest of gestures can be considered romantic, it doesn't have to be this long drawn out plan you've spent weeks preparing, though that is great as well...like beauty, romance really is in the eye of the beholder :-)...just me lil 2 cents :-)