Website Design - Help me !

Hidy Ho Peeps

I just officially kickstarted a new part time business this morning and made it official with the great big world out there.

NOW ... I want to build a website with my own domain and also to build it myself.

I have built a couple in the past for companies I worked for but they were free sites because they were cheap asses . The pop up ads annoyed me to be honest.

Sooooo....I had been looking this morning on the web for a good building program and it dawned on me that there are a whole bunch of my Cerb friends here that are a wayyyyy smarter than me so I am asking for HELP !! Please !!

For those that help me I promise I won't target you in any more of my jokes !! haha at least in 2012 ;)

Thanks in advance for any help you folks give me and any others who are looking for a website design site.

For the ladies who help me I bow to you and am giving you a virtual kiss hug and a squeeze on the bum ;) virtual till we meet at least !

For the fellas....well thanks ;) haha A virtual handshake

And for you travelling ladies always remember the wise words of Confuscious

"A man who run through airport turnstile backward going to Bangkok"

Cheers :chug:and have a grrrrrrreat weekend folks !!!

• Like 1

A number of the web hosting sites provide a 'builder' with the monthly subscription. Failing that your choices range from DreamWeaver to something simple as a text editor (I use Xemacs or TextMate). Mid range tools on the Mac include RapidWeaver.

Will you be using Flex/Flash ? If yes then you can't run away from Adobe's Flex Builder.

Most web site designers are now moving to HTML 5 and CSS.

Hidy Ho Peeps

I just officially kickstarted a new part time business this morning and made it official with the great big world out there.

NOW ... I want to build a website with my own domain and also to build it myself.

I have built a couple in the past for companies I worked for but they were free sites because they were cheap asses . The pop up ads annoyed me to be honest.

Sooooo....I had been looking this morning on the web for a good building program and it dawned on me that there are a whole bunch of my Cerb friends here that are a wayyyyy smarter than me so I am asking for HELP !! Please !!

For those that help me I promise I won't target you in any more of my jokes !! haha at least in 2012 ;)

Thanks in advance for any help you folks give me and any others who are looking for a website design site.

For the ladies who help me I bow to you and am giving you a virtual kiss hug and a squeeze on the bum ;) virtual till we meet at least !

For the fellas....well thanks ;) haha A virtual handshake

And for you travelling ladies always remember the wise words of Confuscious

"A man who run through airport turnstile backward going to Bangkok"

Cheers :chug:and have a grrrrrrreat weekend folks !!!

• Like 1

Congrats on your new venture. As Etasman200 points out there are several options to choose from. The right solution for you lies in what your expectation and functionality of your website is to be.

In the sites that I build I use a multitude of resources and webtools, it all depends on what they have to do.

If it's just a billboard then any basic builder will do, although you might want to focus on more recent basic builders as Etasman also said the shift to html5 is strong and CSS is pretty much common place. If you expect to have several different users contributing content, then a CMS such as joomla or wordpress may be a better option. Do you want this site to be something people on the go will want to use, then consider a tool that will easily allow a mobile version of your site that's lighter on graphics to save on data transfer costs.

There's really a lot to consider. A project management tool I always find helpful in determine resources and requirements is a Workback plan.

Determine first where you want to be with this website, then work backwards as plot the path as to how to get there, this way you can easily identify what tools and resources you may need along the way to get to your final objective.

• Like 2

notepad++ is your friend! :D

-- dreamweaver is easy to get used to and a great tool too.

I would spend time and get away from flash... its kind of dying quickly...

• Like 1

I cannot strongly enough recommend against any of those WYSIWYG programmes. The code produced is awful beyond belief. Just learn what you are doing. Takes little extra effort and costs less.

Read the manual to start

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/

HTML 5 is still being developed, but here is a good start after you learn HTML basics in general.

http://diveintohtml5.info/

Once you have a grip on HTML follow the links to learn about CSS to create the presentation.

Most importantly, ask questions online. You can ask me for starters. I have little doubt other CERB members would offer to answer questions as well.

There are HTML/Web related newsgroups under the comp.infosystems.authoring hierarchy.

The National Centre for Supercomputing Applications used to have the most wonderful, kick, perfect primer on HTML. Then they just took it down getting worrid about keeping up small details like new tags and such as opposed to allowing it stand as the fantastic overall concepts it was. The page now links to other tutorials. It is at http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/primer.html.

I am going to mention it twice now because it is the best and most important thing in creating your own site -ask questions when help is needed.

• Like 1

I would like to add that mobile device support is moving away from Flash towards HTML 5. iPhones never supported Flash and Adobe has dropped Flash support for Android 4.1.

Thanks guys ! It really did help a lot !

For those that PM'd too me a big thanks to you as well.

It is now a work in process after some help from you folks :)