new computer

I want to get a new computer...I'm thinking f getting the i-pad...which one is better? The original,i-pad 2 or the new i-pad? I mainly need it for emails and browsing..nothing much else.

thanks,

Emma

I have both the ipad and the ipad2. The newer the better from a speed perspective. But all variants are suitable for browsing and emails. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

The ipad is great I still have my first Gen model and us it frequently. As great as it is, make no mistake it is not a computer but more of an accessory or appliance that will enhance your computer experience be it Mac or pc but an ipad is not yet at the stage where it could outright replace your current desktop or laptop. :)

• Like 2

it's a glorified iTouch or iPhone...so if you plan to type a lot then maybe a laptop would be better.

maybe something like the Mac Air, has portability like an iPad but is more suited as a computer.

but if you want the iPad, go with the latest but it depends on what you want to spend.

Hi Emma,

Basically, if you often require your keyboard to create content and this is a machine you want to do everything with, you are probably better off getting a laptop. The latest ultrabooks are very small thin and lite and they will provide you with a much better all around machine. Tablets are mostly so far great for consuming information and media as a complimentary device if you already have a main computer.

Really depends what it's purpose is

Emailing Internet searches integrating photos it's perfect. Unless documents you do are huge then it's not really a big deal , even then yo can dictate easily into text with dragon and itsva free app.

Having the newest iPad with a 3 g linkup makes it as portable as a phone.

I haven't used any of my laptops in a year.

If you are just using it for emails and browsing you can probably pick up a 1st gen for cheap on ebay. Get a 3g wifi model if you want to get a data plan and use it on the go. If you're not going to do any media consumption on it get an 8 or 16 gig model. The downside of the 1st gen ipad is the weight as it can start to feel heavy after holding for a while. The camera is sub par takes low res pictures. Screen is not retina display so it's kind of hard on the eyes after a while.

the ipad 2 has better hardware to run the latest apps. Screen is still not retina display quality but its wieght is lighter than the 1st gen. Again I'd suggest the 3g wifi and a data plan if you plan to use it on the go. 8 or 16 gig model if you are just browsing and emailing.

The ipad 3 has the nice screen. Great for extended browsing sessions or watching movies as the strain on the eyes is not as bad. It's unfortunately heavier so its not fun to hold in one hand for too long. I personally don't see a reason to get an ipad 3 unless you really are set on having a nice screen. It's more for media consumption like watching movies. 8 or 16 gig model if you are just browsing and emailing.

For e-mails and web browsing, I would get the cheapest but new iPad 2. It's $100 saving over the new iPad.

Guest jake_cdn

Take the plunge and get the new iPad. True the main features are the 4G access and the enhanced screen but it is worth it especially when streaming videos are important to you. I have used Notebooks/Laptops for ever and I cannot believe that I waited so long to buy an iPad. The battery life is outstanding and portability is unmatched. The only real drawback is the lack of access to MS Office types of applications. If you plan on doing databases and spreadsheets then a Laptop would be better.

I do enjoy my iPad and all of the applications available.