The road not taken

Who knows? I really have absolutely no clue what might have happened if I'd turned right instead of left. Perhaps I'd be a millionaire by now; perhaps I'd have been hit by a bus. There are so many unknowns and variables that I'm afraid I consider speculation to be a waste of time, and one that tends to lead to sadness and regret when it isn't necessary....

I guess I look at it a little different. I have no regrets and have spent a lifetime making sure they aren't there. What if's can be thought provoking and amusing.

My choices in life have made me who I am, so I cant really regret anything. You are right though in saying it's not something we can take a peek at and see what would have happened. But sometimes I wonder about this and that. Not with sadness but more out of curiosity.

I think there is a real difference between what ifs and regrets. I have very few regrets in my life. I'm happy with where I am, love my family, am proud of my children. I certainly had many forks in the road. Some of those would have led to more money than I make now, and occasionally it gives you pause to ask what if. But generally I think it's far better to live within the moment, especially if you are reasonably happy. No life is perfect, and the bumps along the way are what makes the journey interesting. If you're not happy in your journey, however, one should always try to find the courage to try a different path.

• Like 1

I think my life has been largely governed by a series of random mistakes that have somehow worked in my favour. I didn't choose exactly the right education for the job I have, but its worked out very well anyway.

There was a girl I knew for a nearly a year before I got married. I found out she was attracted to me after I got married. We had a short affair and then had to end it. But I wonder what would have happened if she said something a bit earlier.

In spite of her poor timing she had a big impact on my life. I decided to go to grad school in part because that girl encouraged me to pursue an advanced degree (I don't think my wife had a clue what grauate school was). The grad school I ended up going to was selected by my wife in another city in order not to be anywhere near that girl.

What if I had stayed with my ex-husband (he's actually not a bad guy).

What if I had not moved to Alberta, and met someone who exposed me to something that still haunts me today.

What if I had had children.

What if I had just stayed a little bit longer beside my mother's bedside, rather than worrying about running out of money at the parking meter.

• Like 1

What if I hadn't blown out my knee at the NHL training camp. I would be rich and famous, instead of working a boring (but well paid) government job in Northern Ontario and playing in a beer league.

What if I had never taken that job in the US so many years ago. It would have meant that my approach to many aspects of life - culture, society, the role of government, economic opportunities, etc - would have lacked the perspective that comes from that experience. Happy I did it, but even happier to be back in Canada!