Computers for Dummies

I tried to read the "Computer for Dummies" book and it stilll didn't help me.

I just bought a new to me laptop and I was wondering if anyone who had a general understanding of computers, help me understand what I just bought and what all these GB HD MB abbv.'s mean and just help me understand!!!! lol

Please & Thanks

Aubrey

Hd is your hard drive.

GB is a gigabyte, how much memory or hard drive space you have.

MB is megabyte, the size of your memory or harddrive

any other questions

If you PM with your exact questions I might be able to help with some or all, and I don't know we could post here and I am positive someone else would know.

Maybe this is something you should keep to yourself. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I just bought a new to me laptop and I was wondering if anyone who had a general understanding of computers, help me understand what I just bought and what all these GB HD MB abbv.'s mean and just help me understand.

What do you want to do with it?

My suggestion is try to take a course. Most cities during the winter offer these for a couple of hours one night a week through continuing ed. I am a fan of life long learning, and find these are pretty inexpensive. You'll also benefit because you're approaching it at the same level of others, and they'll be asking the same questions as you have.

Guest V***s*aP*I

I have a friend that is an IT consultant, If you really want to learn about it I am sure he can help out.

Computers can be confusing! I'm actually a high school computer teacher - The trick is to not be afraid to try things! If you screw something up, you'll learn most from actually digging around and trying to fix it.

Specifically, it depends on what you want to do with it? A new computer probably with windows 7 - which means it's pretty user friendly. The control panel can be your friend.

What is it you're trying to do?

Aubrey, add me to me the list of people willing to provide help. Ask questions in public, PM me or get my email from a PM and ask there. Whatever you like.

Or we can even do a real time chat at some point if it would help.

I know this will sound crazy at first, but I think you would benefit from trying to find online episodes of the television series Bits and Bytes. It is very, very old, which is normally in the computer world a bad thing, but it sounds to me like it would help. It is so old that it felt a need to explain he very basics. There are episodes that are useless to you, like one that give specific instructions on how to use computer that they stopped making in 1984 with a modem so you can connect to other computers at 300 baud. However, they do things like explain how computer memory is measured. The numbers they use will be small, but it is the same idea as we use today. For example, they will tell you what bits are, how they make up megabytes, and they act like 1 megabyte is beyond human comprehension, while today a $35 computer will have 512 megabytes of memory. The idea is the same though, memory still works in computers the same way, a bit is still a bit, a byte is still a byte. That is just one example, basic concepts like that are what the series mostly covers, they just frequently intersperse it with what is now obsolete specifics of their day.

Again though just as for help if you have questions.