Tigers or the Giants?

It is World Series time again and let the games begin.

I am struggling with which team to cheer for however.

As a long time Expos fan who always believed that the National League played a better and more exciting brand of baseball I am am leaning in that direction. They also have Scudero who I always liked a s hustle player for the Bluejays.

Detroit on the other hand is a welcome relief to seeing the Yankees or the Red Sox so I am a sentimental fan for them.

However, sorry Sandimoon, but Let's Go Giants.

It tears me up me to say this Sandi as you are a very worthy and fun rival .....but I am gonna cheer for the same team as you ;) Go Tigers !!!

Gotta go with the Tigers on this one. Heading into the post season I, much like the rest of the baseball viewing public, didn't put much faith in the Tigers. They were after all the only post season team that didn't finish the regular season with at least 90 wins. That said they have the starting pitching AND the top to bottom hitting that should secure a championship for owner Mike Illitch (who also owns the Red Wings of the NHL).

As mrnice2 points out San Francisco does have Scutaro who hit an amazing .500 in the NLCS but the rest of the Giants lineup isn't hitting what it needs to to win. Scutaro has thus far accounted for 17 of San Frans 95 total hits all the while the team as a whole is hitting a dismal .234 in the post season. Detroit on the other hand is hitting a very respectable .271 with 87 total hits in three fewer games.

Detroits team ERA sits at more than a run and a half better than San Franciscos coming in at an astounding 1.74 vs 3.36. Add to this Justin Verlander a perpetual Cy Young Award winner is slated for game one while the Giants have to counter with a less than stellar Barry Zito due to their series going to 7 games against St. Louis.

Yes I picked the Giants to represent the National League and no I didn't have the Tigers coming out of the American League but I still have to go with Verlander and Detroits cadre of starters over San Franciscos Matt Cain and co. Add in Miguel Cabreras Triple Crown performance this season, due in no small part to the protection Prince Fielder affords him in the lineup, and I say The Series is Detroits to lose.

Tigers in 6!

Edited by stevecurious
  • Like 1

My pick was Detroit but I have to admit I was shocked last night with how Verlander pitched. He got rocked big time, he looked quite shaky! But all credit to San Fran - they played great. Love the crowds there too! Way to go Panda - three consecutive home runs is quite the feat! He only hit 12 all season and now he has 6 in the post season. Could be an interesting series.

I give the Tigers one more game to smarten things up...then I will talk to Illich and step in as interim coach...

These are my signals .... hopefully the boys would pick up on them quickly ;)

6005255_f260.jpg

Lee Richards is a great hockey fan but since the World Series is on he attended his first baseball game last night in San Francisco. After a Giants base hit he heard the fans roaring run....run! The next batter connected heavily with the ball and Lee stood up and roared with the crowd: "Run ya bastard, run will ya!"

The next batter slammed a hit and again Lee, obviously pleased with his knowledge of the game, screamed "Run ya bastard, run will ya!"

The next batter held his swing at three and two and as the ump called a walk Lee stood up yelling "Run ya bastard, run!"

All the surrounding fans giggled quietly at him and Lee sat down confused.

Sandimoon who was sitting beside him, sensed his embarrassment and whispered in his ear, "He doesn't have to run, he's got four balls."

After this explanation Lee stood up in disbelief and screamed, "Walk with pride man! Walk with pride!!!!"

• Like 2

They got rid of Bonds forget about'm. Champ Series, the depth and now the bats!!! My fav: The Freeeeeak! No matter that Tim is now relieving, he is fu--king perfect and Zito got the nastaaaaay (since game 5 nlcs)

Lastly...I wanna do Bochy haha

have to love it --- SF up quickly by 2 in game 3

GO GIANTS

Additional Comments:

no team has ever come back from 3 down in the world series

nuf said !!!

• Like 1

Well, well, well. So much for statistics and as they say, that's why they play the games!

The nice thing about baseball is that there is always next year. Within days people will be looking ahead to spring training and Stevecurious will be touting his Red Sox.

For once an underdog came through. Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants!

The Giants were unstoppable

I do not know how the Giants ended up as underdogs

They were tied with Atlanta as the 3rd best team in the National League

Detroit, on the other hand, was 7th in the American League and only make the playoffs because the White Sox fell off a cliff

Sometimes it is good to be under estimated ... no pressure