Network Hard Drive, yes or no?

I am thinking of buying one of these, but some of the reviews are scary.

I do have an external hard drive for backup, but a wireless would be more convenient.

Any thoughts?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10091788&catid=23795&atab=&PCName=&nAllReviews=true&logon=&langid=EN

Anita,

Interesting product. I looked at the specs and appears to be a significant drive failure rate. Most likely can be attributed to cooling in the external drive closure. Its not clear who the manufacturer of the actual drive is such as Maxtor, Seagate(Now Maxtor) Quantum, IBM etc.

I have TB's of external drives. Some are Firewire but majority are USB 2. I like the network access feature of the drive, but not really too enthused about the wireless access feature over a network with respect to backing up GB's of files. Surely, on speculation -- some data loss would occur or be corrupted. To summarize, I would consider the network access feature but would avoid wireless network for backup.

TigerDirect has a decent selection of Network External Drives. Take a look

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=207&name=NAS

Hi Anita,

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Do you just want a place to store files or do you want to stream video or audio?

If it's to backup, like Kih says, it is not a good choice.

If it's to be able to access specifically audio and video, you might

want to look into a media storage device. Some of them allow wireless

streaming.

Hope this helps.

Redstorm

I don't believe this model is wireless, other than the fact that if you plug it into your wireless router you can access it from your laptop elsewhere in your house.

These drives are a good solution for those who arent comfortable configuring a network or setting up permissions on the network. I to have a few Terabytes of storage over 3 or 4 drives all of them easily configured to be accessed from any computer in the house. Although I have read that some Seagate external drives aren't networkable, but that's not been my experience yet.

There's a non chain store in Ottawa ( the trailing edge) selling the 500 GB version, refurbished mind you, but fully warrantied like new for 99.00

If you also need a wireless router then I would recommend an Apple TimeCapsule. You are paying more, partly for the brand, however it is a simple joy to use it. I have it as a network (wired and wireless) storage device for my Linux, Mac and Windows boxes with only a software install. Granted with Linux it was self serve.

You can also extend the storage capacity by adding a USB external harddrive to it.

Finally it also allowed me to network my USB printer.

I am thinking of buying one of these, but some of the reviews are scary.

I do have an external hard drive for backup, but a wireless would be more convenient.

Any thoughts?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10091788&catid=23795&atab=&PCName=&nAllReviews=true&logon=&langid=EN

Thanks everybody for the input.

I just realized I live at the end of the world. The stores in Ottawa seem to have so many more to chose from :(

Couldn't you just relocate Ottawa to the West Coast? We have nice weather here ;)

If you also need a wireless router then I would recommend an Apple TimeCapsule. You are paying more, partly for the brand, however it is a simple joy to use it. I have it as a network (wired and wireless) storage device for my Linux, Mac and Windows boxes with only a software install. Granted with Linux it was self serve.

You can also extend the storage capacity by adding a USB external harddrive to it.

Finally it also allowed me to network my USB printer.

Thanks eastman, I like this a lot. I understand this is a storage and a router in one? My router is pretty old and I was never able to make it work with my Brother wireless printer.

If this would work with both Mac and PC, the 500GB version would be ideal for me.

Thanks eastman, I like this a lot. I understand this is a storage and a router in one? My router is pretty old and I was never able to make it work with my Brother wireless printer.

If this would work with both Mac and PC, the 500GB version would be ideal for me.

Yes it is a storage and router all in one, which supports wireless 802.11a/b/g/n.

Basically older devices might only be 802.11a or 802.11b but newer systems tend to support multiple variants. It could simple be that your old router does not support the wireless protocol the Brother wireless printer supports.

TimeCapsule works for both Mac and PC. It comes with PC drivers on a CD which you will need to install on the PC. It was very much an out-of-the-box experience with respect to the Mac.