If other girls are lowering price???

Gouging?? That's a bit hysterical, isn't it? After all, using the services of an SP is an extreme personal luxury. Not a life necessity like food, fuel, heat, shelter, shoes for your kids. Gouging happens when one jacks up the price of something that people can't go without. If they raised the price of Porsches by 25% one year, though, it would not be thought of as gouging because Porsches are luxuries for those who can afford them. There is no obligation to make them cheap enough for everyone to have one.

To put some perspective on this matter, when I first worked in Toronto in 1982, the going rate was $250/hour. That's what I'm charging today. During that time, rents, many food costs, cost of a new car, fuel and heating oil have risen steadily (which I don't mind so much; I am more upset that quality and customer service has plunged). In one year, due to the application of the HST, my home heating oil bill shot up 8%. I'm not talking about luxuries, but life necessities.

Prices may fluctuate a bit from one year to the next, but looked at over the course of decades, our rates are stuck in a rut.

Generally, it's considered to be in very poor taste to complain about the price of luxuries. No one owes you a luxury experience. It's something you can either afford to treat yourself to or not. Merry Christmas!

These clear, concise and accurate words are just one of the reasons I have such a crush on you Miss Christine!!!

cat

• Like 1

I should note too that sometimes a rate fluctuation is just a miscalculation on our part. But when we know we've screwed up, we have to put it right. Sometimes that means putting the price down a bit. Other times, raising it.

When i first started seeing people out here in the sticks, I lowered my rate. My reasoning was that the lower rate would compensate my Ottawa regulars for coming the distance to see me. But it turned out that those regulars who could and would come all this way to see me continued paying my old rate, even though I told them a lower rate was available. And for those who couldn't or wouldn't come out here to see me, the lower rate didn't affect their decision.

Meanwhile, I was advertising and picking up new clients out here, at the lower rate. Which was not good for me. The lower your rate, the more appointments you need to accept to cover your costs each month. In my situation, I need to keep traffic to a minimum, so by simply returning my rates to where they were before I left Ottawa, I could cut down on a lot of traffic. Of course, I continue to honour the lower rate for those good customers I acquired at that rate. But the higher rate takes more pressure off than you'll ever know.

Over the years, many prospects have informed me that if I'd simply cut my rates in half, I would get twice as many customers. They say this like it's a good thing. But let me ask you this: if someone told you if you worked for half what you do, you could work twice as many hours, would that sound like a good thing to you? Run twice as hard for the same amount of money? I just don't see the selling point in that argument.

• Like 5

All I can say, when I look back at all of the escapes I have had this past year (and since I embarked on this lifestyle) with the ladies of CERB, one thing that isn't even an issue is the donation. The rates you have all charged don't come close to reflecting the real value of the escape, companionship,memories, (and even in some cases friendship) you have provided to me. The rates have all been more than fair considering what has been provided in exchange

So I would just like to say to you ladies, charge what your time and companionship is worth, don't let any guys try to pressure you to reduce your rate. And a Thank You to the ladies I have seen, and provided a positive escape in my life

A quick Christmas rambling

RG

• Like 2

This is so well written! I want to bookmark it and send it to anyone who ever questions rates! Well said and very well explained.

Gouging?? That's a bit hysterical, isn't it? After all, using the services of an SP is an extreme personal luxury. Not a life necessity like food, fuel, heat, shelter, shoes for your kids. Gouging happens when one jacks up the price of something that people can't go without. If they raised the price of Porsches by 25% one year, though, it would not be thought of as gouging because Porsches are luxuries for those who can afford them. There is no obligation to make them cheap enough for everyone to have one.

To put some perspective on this matter, when I first worked in Toronto in 1982, the going rate was $250/hour. That's what I'm charging today. During that time, rents, many food costs, cost of a new car, fuel and heating oil have risen steadily (which I don't mind so much; I am more upset that quality and customer service has plunged). In one year, due to the application of the HST, my home heating oil bill shot up 8%. I'm not talking about luxuries, but life necessities.

Prices may fluctuate a bit from one year to the next, but looked at over the course of decades, our rates are stuck in a rut.

Generally, it's considered to be in very poor taste to complain about the price of luxuries. No one owes you a luxury experience. It's something you can either afford to treat yourself to or not. Merry Christmas!

• Like 3