Highlight of your life

I don't know about the rest of you...but the holiday season always gets me in a melancholy, bluesy type of frame of mind....I guess I'm just an incurable bumhug :p

I figured I can't be the only one who gets this way around this time of year so I thought would start an upbeat thread to put a smile on peoples faces.

We already have the highlights of the day thread....but I'm sure everyone has that one key moment in their lives that they can think back on and it never fails to make them smile....a moment you will take with you to your grave....Either something you accomplished, something that was done for you, an important person entering your life, the birth of a child etc,

Here's mine:

About a hundred years ago...when I was 19....I was walking home from work at something around 2:30-3am. It was a weeknight so the streets were more or less deserted. I lived within walking distance of my work. I was walking across the bridge (a very high bridge) to get to my place when I come across this drunken homeless person, climbing up onto the edge of the bridge. No one else was around and this person was completely oblivious of my presence, so they were clearly intending on jumping. Thankfully after about a half hour (may have been only a few minutes actually....but it sure as hell felt longer) I managed to talk this person down off the edge and I walked them back to a shelter. This was the first thing I ever did with my life that seemed to actually matter.

Now the cynic in me tries to convince me that this person probably just went back the next night and finished the job. I honestly don't know. But I prefer to think that this was a life altering experience for the person and it changed their life around for the better. This was quite obviously that person's quintessential "rock bottom" moment. And after hitting rock bottom is there anywhere else to go but up? Maybe this person got cleaned up and went on to create a beautiful piece of art. Or maybe they fathered a child who will one day cure cancer. Or maybe they're just living an uninteresting, plain, normal, but healthy, and happy life.....which honestly....would be no less profound. Who knows?

Anyway, that's the moment that never fails to bring a smile to my face when I think about it (as terrifying an experience as it was lol).

So everyone....what was the highlight of your life?

Additional Comments:

And on a more "typical-of-me" note.....yeah I guess my first blowjob would have to be up there too :D

• Like 1

When my nephew was born.

When we were told my nephew had six months to live (that wasn't the highlight), but the highlight, later the doctors told us they were wrong, he will live much longer (mind you to say we all went through hell thinking he would die in six months is an understatement)...that was nine years ago.

RG

• Like 1

My father-in-law diagnosed with lung cancer. Then, exploratory surgery on lymph nodes came up negative. Then, surgery to remove 1/2 of one lung yielding a large, non-malignant growth. In 2 weeks, we went from despair, to resignation, to jubilation. That was 10 years ago and he is still going strong.

Guest S**a*Q

Graduating high school. I dropped out and didn't expect to finish, but I did.

&

Publishing my first of many stories. :) (With more to come!!!)

The high point for me came after 20 years of searching for the right situation. Three years ago I entered into a service agreement to look after the home of someone I respected, a year and a half later we negotiated a fealty agreement so I sold or gave away almost every thing I owned and moved into their home to take care of them. I found someone who holds me well and whom I can serve. The high point was a life time contract. Sounds odd I know but I've met quite a few others who live like this.

Kay

I completely agree with Butterfly Kisses ...

nothing since has compared with the way I felt when I first held my son 31 years ago and then my daughter 29 years ago !!!

I still frequently remember how fantastic I felt