Christmas is a good time of year for all the jokesters. Do you like to give a funny gift or play a prank on anyone this time of year ?

I read on line- someone takes an expensive car out for a test drive puts a big red bow on it and drives to a random house and beeps the horn. I thought this was hilarious. Lets face it with the latest tradgedy and all the hustle and bustle some of us need a good laugh.:biggrin:

• Like 1

I think BBC (Britain's version of the CBC) have conducted my favourite pranks of all time. Not for Xmas though.

One day in the 60s, they announced that due to some sciency wiency thingamajig, the earth would have no gravity for half a second, and if someone jumped at the exact time, they'd experience weightlessness. Viewers called in excitedly saying they were able to do it!

But as far as Christmas pranks go, this one is pretty good. Although I feel pretty bad for the guy

• Like 1

Good hearted pranking is fun, but you never know how people will react. I heard a great interview on CBC the other day discussing it. This was because of what had happened with nurses suicide following Aussie DJ's prank call to the hospital where Catherine was being treated. After listening to the recordings of the event I personally didn't think it was that bad, but some reality shows are starting to get a little bit over the top. I guess you have to be able to take the heat if it goes terribly wrong.

A classic prank, again from the BBC when times were simpler was their April 1st report on the bumper crop of spaghetti to be harvested. They convinced many viewers that spaghetti grew on trees in a region of Switzerland that borders on Italy! The BBC was flooded with calls from viewers eager to learn how to grow their own spaghetti, it's a true classic!

• Like 1

Good hearted pranking is fun, but you never know how people will react. I heard a great interview on CBC the other day discussing it. This was because of what had happened with nurses suicide following Aussie DJ's prank call to the hospital where Catherine was being treated. After listening to the recordings of the event I personally didn't think it was that bad, but some reality shows are starting to get a little bit over the top. I guess you have to be able to take the heat if it goes terribly wrong.

I feel bad, I completely forgot about that when I posted this. You do have to be careful who you toy with, but I do think most people can take a joke especially when they know it's all in fun and not done to hurt or harm anyone but to make you laugh.

One unintentional radio prank I thought of was the original 1930's "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast starring Orson Welles where the script opens with a news report that aliens are invading the earth. The result being most of the audience panicking under the belief it was really an alien attack. If I recall correctly Orson Welles had to go back on the air to reassure everyone it was just a radio show not a news report.

A freind of mine and I have pranked back and forth for many years always trying to be harmless yet creative.

One year when it was my turn, I placed an ad in the classified section of the paper shortly after Boxing day with the headline 'WANTED TO PURCHASE - USED XMAS TREES" followed by free pick up and his phone number. Suffice it to say his phone rang a lot.

• Like 1