Nope, not talking about grey hair here...

I'm getting quite a pile of snow accumulating on my house roof & I'm wondering if I should get someone to clear it off. Without exaggeration, I think I've got about 2.5 ft. loaded. It's a combination of wet snow, a layer of ice & then fluffy stuff. Typical Ottawa crap.

Throughout the day, I hear some minor creaks & I`m wondering if my house is under duress.

What do you think? Anyone else in the same boat?

Buy a snow rake at Home Depot. Clean off about 2-3 feet from your evestrough. Clean out as much ice as you can from evestrough on the non-sunny side. Wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the snow. Done it on my place.

You're probably fine for weight, unless you have a really old home. The problem that can occur with thick heavy snow and ice is ice dams. (picture thick chunks of ice right on the shingles. When it starts to melt a little it gets jammed up and since the water cant go down it works it way in under the shingles and into the home. Many perfectly good roofs leak that way.

Just to add to the wise advice in Phantom's post, one way to tell if you do have too much snow is that your inside doors will start "sticking". Best to clean some off but be careful not to crush your roof vents.

Never had a leak or warping door frames - god forbid!

I have this one kinky corner that seems to grow a huge and nasty chunk of ice every Winter. Happens to grow on the 2nd story roof overlooking my front entrance. Come Spring time thaw, this block of ice detaches itself from the roof and looks for victims who just happen to want to sell me some shit at my front door.

I have to modify my mailbox sign from "No Soliciting" to: "Duck you sorry bastard!"

• Like 1

depending on how high your roof is, it might be more dangerous to get the roof rake then to just pay someone to clean it off for you. if its a 2-3 story house its a bit risky with the falling snow and ice.

ive seen some companies advertise at a decent price to do it for you, doesnt seem overly expensive, but if your going to pay for someone to do it, you may wanna wait another storm or two and make it "worth your wild"

I'd just call a roofer and ask them what their reccomendation is for what type of shingles you have, what your venting situation is and how old your roof is.

Posted via Mobile Device

i got up and took all the snow off my roof lots of wieight on the roof with the snow and then it rains becarefull that you don't break the shingles if there old they break easy then a new roof in the spring is needed and away goes your play money