Are SP's prepared for Swine Flu Epidemic?

Guest s******ecan****

maybe its just me but......

Having read the replies to this thread it seems like there is a pretty blase attitude out there in CERB world about H1N1. Seems odd considering how much we all tend to proclaim our concern about health issues.

This flu is serious folks, no its not some end of the world grim reaper aspiring to be the modern version of the great plague but its the most serious flu to come around in a long time. It seems to be particularly bad for young people.

I plan to get the flu shot for H1N1 not just for me but also to protect those I come into contact with in the risk group (elderly and young relatives top my list of concern). I don't want to take a chance of infecting them.

I notice this thread got started in August, anybody changing their views about this now that we are closer to the actual flu season.

I normally line up for the annual flu shot but this year I think I will also get the H1N1 shot. No fun being ill with any sort of flu.

I think those of us who've been around a while are getting a little bored of every year's latest flu hype. Seriously, this has been going on since the seventies.

What's worse, one year, they'll have a shortage of vaccine, and then they advise otherwise reasonably healthy people that they don't need one, and the next year, they'll have a glut, and they'll be insisting everybody needs one.

I think I read somewhere recently that, despite ever increasing numbers of flu shots given annually, the rate of deaths from complications of flu has remained stable. I'm inclined to believe that -- not necessarily because I think the vaccines don't work, as that I think our lives are becoming more and more complicated every year (with respect to what we do, where we go, who we meet, what we eat, the amount of distractions in our lives, the stress, being kept alive longer through various medical interventions, etc.), and that's bound to have an effect on the average immune system walking around out there.

I've never gotten a flu shot, and I won't be getting one now. It is a personal decision, and so I feel it would be wrong for someone to try to talk someone else into or out of getting one. If a person is on CERB, they're on the interweebs. They have access to plenty of information to base their decisions on.

Guest gagagaga

personally, i get the flu shot every year, and i will get the h1n1 as well. having extra antibodies is always a good thing...there is nothing negative about it.

I agree though, it is a personal decision that everyone should make on their own.

I think the reason I never get sick is because I have never had a flu shot and my immune system is always flexing its muscles from years of hard work.

This also supports my theory as to why children are susceptible to H1N1, as for some reason an alarming amount of kids are getting flu shots which results in little chance for their body to build up a defense.

Again, just a theory.

Also, hand sanitizers have to be the biggest waste of money and packaging for use outside of hospitals. I think everyone needs to go around in radioactive jumpsuits if they really want peace of mind.

Taken from: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/emu/pan_flu/

What is an influenza pandemic?

An influenza pandemic is a flu outbreak distinguished from seasonal influenza by its scope and seriousness. It becomes a worldwide epidemic, or pandemic, when a disease spreads easily and rapidly through many countries and regions of the world and affects a large percentage of the population where it spreads.

How does an influenza pandemic start?

The viruses that cause ordinary/seasonal influenza ? or ?flu? ? are constantly changing. An influenza pandemic starts when a new strain of flu virus emerges, and is different from common strains. Because people have no immunity to the new virus, it can spread quickly and infect hundreds of thousands of people. Influenza pandemic strains can develop when an animal or bird virus mixes with a human virus to form a new virus.

With the H1N1, they are estimating that 35% of the population will be infected, compared with 10% for the seasonal flu. It is a new strain that the general population has no natural immunity to, thus the higher infection rates. Generally, influenza strains result in 2000 to 8000 deaths annually; with H1N1 we are looking at 80 deaths in 2009 [current of October 15th].

The main threat of H1N1 is that we have no natural immunity to this strain, thus the higher infection rates, and also why we are seeing deaths in different population categories [they are now saying H1N1 is higher in women 18-60 years of age]; adults 18-65 years of age are at a higher risk of infection and serious symptoms. Children are not at a high risk for serious illness/outcome, but are a main source of spreading the virus to more vulnerable groups given the nature of school-recreation-home routines.

Basic moral of the story: If you feel sick, STAY HOME. I cannot stress this enough. Too many people are shrugging off symptoms, however mild, and are continuing their routine - infecting others in their workplace, etc. Many places are offering guidelines and extended sick leave to encourage their employees to stay home.

• Like 2

I tend to agree with a lot of the previous comments, it's not really a pandemic. People are making way to much out of this. Yes the percentage of people who will contract H1N1 is higher than the normal flu bug, but as Katedot just said, if you feel sick, stay home!

Personally I've survived Malaria, Beri Beri and Scarlett Fever and I'm still here. I think too many people in this country especially are panicing!

Anyone thinking about getting the Flu shot.. Or Swine flu shot should read these links.

I am extremely anti-vaccinations for a number of reasons, but rather than get political I suggest ppl read some of these links and make up their own minds.

http://www.wnho.net/vaccine_ingredients.htm

http://www.rense.com/general59/vvac.htm

http://www.whale.to/v/phillips.html

http://www.rense.com/general87/avoid.htm

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside..:handjob:

I was the one who wrote this concern, as of now, this is a pandemic, those of you who disagree have their heads buried in the sand, and yes the rate of transmission is rising and has just begun. I dont think our SPs have no idea what is going to transpire in the next few months, except please protect yourselves, because its not just another flu virus.

Unfortunately, sps will be under a lot of pressure to continue to provide full gfe (if they do bbbjs, they will encounter problems from clients if they try to replace it with a cbj) and if they kiss they will not be able to not kiss. Just as client pressure has created full gfe over straight full service, it is really unlikely clients will book if the sp attempts to add restrictions when she had very few.

Those sps who have always had some restrictions will continue to be able to provide a similar level of service, but I can just hear the complaints already if any sp attempts to establish some safety precautions. It is unfortunate that so many out there consider themselves invincible, and after all, if they get ill, it won't affect their income. If they bring illness, she is out of luck, in their opinions, but since they wouldn't have a need to revisit for a week or two anyway, does not affect their lives. :cry:

Everyone has to be on guard regardless of the latest flu strain. I believe that each one of us has a unique immune system and what is important is that we know our bodies. I side with Christine that flu shots are not a magic bullet and sometimes cause more damage than we can imagine. I am not susceptible to virus strains but bacterial just about flattens me. If we listen to our bodies we know when something is up. When that happens...stay home.

Cat

I think the vaccination/no vaccination debate is a point of agree to disagree and leave it at that.

sort of the Religion and Politics at a diner party.

on a lighter note

play a lil'game called Pandemic 2: Extinction of Mankind

http://www.awfulgames.com/games/pandemic2_eom/

the premise to to wipe out humanity! :-D

Anyone thinking about getting the Flu shot.. Or Swine flu shot should read these links.

I am extremely anti-vaccinations for a number of reasons, but rather than get political I suggest ppl read some of these links and make up their own minds.

Or, you know, you could link to a site that is Canadian content and updated as of 2009.. :roll:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p01-tab01-eng.php

Politics and cerb shouldn't mix, but if you're going to link to a site that is run by a REVEREND with a personal agenda.. Just goes to show you're not fully researching both sides of the facts.

• Like 6

cuz they're fuckin idiots?

I had a touch of something last week , think it was the "piglett flu". only lasted about 12 hours. I feel the need to give it a name tho :-P

you have to leave miss piggy alone

masturbation leads to the H1N1 virus?? sigh.....I'm doomed then

hehe

then we should all have it

The last two times I got the shot I got sick really bad with the flu 3 and 6 weeks, about 10 per cent of the people catch the flu with the shot.haven't had a major flu since stop getting the shots.

The flu vaccine contains inactive (killed) viruses, meaning they cannot cause infection. Side effects common to the vaccine are low-grade fever and aches, which some mistake as symptoms of flu; also, since the flu shot is given during the cold and flu season, there is a good possibility that you are seeing causation where there is only correlation (ie. You may have been infected prior to the vaccine, or you may have contracted a virus such as rhinovirus, which can cause flu-like symptoms). Remember, correlation does not imply causation.

I am not saying that everyone should be getting the vaccine - I personally haven't decided for myself yet - but I AM advocating that you fully research the information provided by professionals, rather than relying on hear-say and myths. My PM box is open if anyone has any questions, but I will preface this offer by stating that I am not a physician, but merely someone in the healthcare field with access to the latest information.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 3

and never experienced any side effects or caught the flu that was covered by the vaccine, and if I caught a flu it was no where near as strong as some people get it. but that was my experience.

But Kate is right, informed decisions is empowering.

The piglett flu......I love it!!! Now I know what I am suffering from! Thank god I received an answer to my dilemna...guess I just need a bunch of fluids and some rest and I will be as good as new! I AM SO SICK of over reactions to everyday normal cold's and flu's. Let's just get on with life, wash our hands and deal with regular viruses like the mature adults we pretend to be!

PS if you take care of yourself, visit the doctor regularly and take your vitamins your risk of deadly infections is very minimal! Other than extremely deadly viruses...most medical emergencies could have and would have been averted with regular medical check ups....and no you don't need a "family" doctor in Ottawa....tons of walk in clinics!!!

The flu vaccine contains inactive (killed) viruses, meaning they cannot cause infection. Side effects common to the vaccine are low-grade fever and aches, which some mistake as symptoms of flu; also, since the flu shot is given during the cold and flu season, there is a good possibility that you are seeing causation where there is only correlation (ie. You may have been infected prior to the vaccine, or you may have contracted a virus such as rhinovirus, which can cause flu-like symptoms). Remember, correlation does not imply causation.

I am not saying that everyone should be getting the vaccine - I personally haven't decided for myself yet - but I AM advocating that you fully research the information provided by professionals, rather than relying on hear-say and myths. My PM box is open if anyone has any questions, but I will preface this offer by stating that I am not a physician, but merely someone in the healthcare field with access to the latest information.

Posted via Mobile Device

My point is if you research this flu shot, (in particular) you will see that it has been pushed through extremely fast. Also there are many front line health care workers that are refusing the shot.. risking their jobs in protest.. As well I have read some articles that have stated the researchers that created the H1N1 vaccine refuse to take the shot themselves nor to they recommend it to their closest family or friends.

Its obvious that the drug companies and Gov are in Bed together. Who thinks that profit might have something to do with this "pandemic"?

All I am saying is before you blindly roll up sleeve to take the shot, do a bit of research and make an informed decision. I don't think anyone can argue that..

I've been keeping my mouth shut and cringing over the h1n1 vaccine. Ok so those who know me just had their eyes pop out of their heads at the thought of me simply keeping my mouth shut... I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about the flu shots, vaccines, and the medical profession in general. Some good, some bad, and all of it more than slightly validated and justified many times over. Let's start by saying I know the medical system better than I ever expected to...

I don't hold well with hysteria over things like this (meaning viruses, flus, etc). Heck... I remember the drama of Sars. I lived in the downtown core, I was in contact with a fair number of people, and I had more to risk that summer than just myself. Amazingly not even a hint of it.

Though I can say that I saw more ineptitude that summer from people who wore the masks, and made a big deal of it when they saw people walking around without one. It was like people thought wearing a mask (even if they were bright enough to cut a hole in it to stick their cigarette through), and carried around alcohol based hand sanitizers thought this was the "magic that could protect them"... When often times they fell ill.

People like myself who frequently washed their hands, and then put sanitizer on, and who avoided shaking hands, or touching their face after touching things like door knobs, etc. seemed to have a lower chance of catching the "it" illness. Then Sars... Now H1N1.

Considering I am all too aware that I am "higher risk" because technically I should be in the weaker immune system category (lets just say wear bug spray with deet folks but that is another medical/political drama all together)... I will not partake in the vaccine. One reason is I am unsure how it will interact with Borillia Bergdorferi, another reason is I am unsure of the potential complications of mixing it with the very high dose antibiotics I require to do my day to day thing... Walk, speak clearly, etc.

Through it all I have followed along, and read up on things. I even use to be the one who went every year for the flu shot... Till 3 years in a row I was that "small percentage with complications". Deemed mild... but enough to make me stay away.

I am not a conspiracy theorist about vaccines and flu shots... I don't feel they cause this, that or the other... but I do think that for some they can cause irreparable damage. If you are not aware of how wrong it can go take a moment to view this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4MIm1mB7GM&feature=related and more about her http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMRWLgF8V8&feature=related

Yes... 1 in 1 million. For someone like me who bats odds like that already I won't do it.

Let me spell it out like this:

The yearly flu shot is nothing more than a sample last years virus in the hopes that it will provide some immunity for this years complexities. There is no guarantee that it will stop anything, and in truth it usually is completely ineffective against anything new.

The H1N1 Vaccine was developed, and put out in a fraction of the time it takes a normal vaccine to be put out in quantities much higher than normal. With higher volume comes my concerns of quality control... With limited human testing. On top of that... H1N1 is not a typical virus for humans (more near the bottom of this post).

Vaccines:

In the US they have 2 vaccines available. The first is a shot/needle which contains no live virus. The second is a nasal spray which contains live virus. I have no idea if the nasal one will be released here but it kind of concern me...

Here is a bit more info on what H1N1 really is. "Swine Flu" is not quite accurate from what I know. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

The panic and hysteria comes from this:

Why is 2009 H1N1 virus sometimes called ?swine flu??

This virus was originally referred to as ?swine flu? because laboratory testing showed that many of the genes in this new virus were very similar to influenza viruses that normally occur in pigs (swine) in North America. But further study has shown that this new virus is very different from what normally circulates in North American pigs. It has two genes from flu viruses that normally circulate in pigs in Europe and Asia and bird (avian) genes and human genes. Scientists call this a "quadruple reassortant" virus.

Another piece of info for everyone is that the time it is considered contagious is 1 day before symptoms appear and 5-7 days after, but it can be a longer time period in some cases.

Anyway... I guess this was my two cents or so... All I can say is do what you feel is best for you, and stay home if you are sick.