Whoresâ?? Glory, A Documentary by Michael Glawogger

Right, and I buy Playboy for the articles, come'on dude :)

I can understand your skepticism but those that really know me would set you straight :)

In fact my last encounter with a third world lady was on New Years eve (my associates didn't want me ringing in the new year alone) and the lady not yet understanding the platonic or social only nature of our 12 hour appointment immediately disrobed upon arrival in my resort suite without any encouragement. I come by my handle of "BackRubMan" quite validly due to formal training in massage therapy so the remainder of some massage oil that was imported by a visiting (very wonderful) CERB lady from Canada (who had since returned to Canada) was put to good use. Of course the lady was most impressed as she had never received a massage before :)

Right, and I buy Playboy for the articles, come'on dude :)

Ohhh... I guess that's okay too. Probably some good reading between the pics.....

I saw this doc a few weeks ago and felt the same way as Backrubman. I really liked that we didn't get "experts" or celebrities interupting with judgemental commentary.

I couldn't believe the segment in Thailand where you see female prostitutes work all day so that they can then spend all their earnings hiring male prostitutes/gigolos in the evenings. That just blew my mind.

Thanks for posting this! I've been watching all the sex work-related shows/documentaries/movies I can as part of my own personal nerdy fascination with how sex work gets portrayed/discussed in such formats. I'm adding these to the evergrowing list :)

Currently I'm watching an Australian series called "Satisfaction" which I'm rather enjoying. http://titsandsass.com/satisfaction-2007-2010/

Unfortunately, I could not find it on Netflix - I guess because it is Canadian Netflix.

Yes, I imagine that is the case.

It is a well known fact (at least right now) that there is really no difference between a "Canadian" and an "American" NetFlix subscription other than where you access it from. So if you fly, drive or walk to the US then your "Canadian" NetFlix subscription magically changes and you have access to all the US content.

Of course if you are not up to traveling to the US just to watch NetFlix then you can do so "virtually" by using a service like Strong VPN. Such a service offers many other advantages as well (I'd never use a public Wifi hotspot without it, etc.)

I am currently in República Dominicana on an open Wifi network but all my traffic is encrypted and CERB would think I am in New York (based on my IP address).

... I couldn't believe the segment in Thailand where you see female prostitutes work all day so that they can then spend all their earnings hiring male prostitutes/gigolos in the evenings. That just blew my mind.

Yes and it is a very common phenomenon. Not that "particular" use of their earnings (I found that a little over the top also) but I've often observed the total lack of regard for the value of money or any sense of planning for tomorrow or even a raining day... something I don't really understand, at least not yet.

The ladies of República Dominicana, while they may work at rates that are shockingly low compared to Canada, they are still very high income earners compared to most other people here. Just the same, they take "live for today with no worries about tomorrow" way too far - often with predictable consequences that they seem totally oblivious to. They often won't work at all unless they "must", passing up opportunities and then let their financial situation get so desperate that they are then desperate and will do the same work they could have done a week ago for half the rate now as the rent is due. When they do have income it is spent on clothes they don't really need, treating their friends, anything and everything that amounts to having little to show for it. I've tried to decode this behavior and understand it, even through detailed conversations with them but it just seems cultural that they have no concept of the future (beyond their immediate needs today). It makes me sad because I know if they had the business sense of the ladies in Canada they could be quite affluent but even though they earn more income than most Dominicans they are always poor (well perhaps not "today" but by tomorrow they will be). Odd but true.

Yes, I imagine that is the case.

It is a well known fact (at least right now) that there is really no difference between a "Canadian" and an "American" NetFlix subscription other than where you access it from. So if you fly, drive or walk to the US then your "Canadian" NetFlix subscription magically changes and you have access to all the US content.

Of course if you are not up to traveling to the US just to watch NetFlix then you can do so "virtually" by using a service like Strong VPN. Such a service offers many other advantages as well (I'd never use a public Wifi hotspot without it, etc.)

I am currently in República Dominicana on an open Wifi network but all my traffic is encrypted and CERB would think I am in New York (based on my IP address).

Thank you. I have heard of using the VPN route to bypass, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Hope to soon ;). Curious to find out how much we have been missing here in Canada!

Thank you. I have heard of using the VPN route to bypass, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Hope to soon ;). Curious to find out how much we have been missing here in Canada!

It actually works the other way around also. I was watching a movie in Canada (before leaving for República Dominicana) and then unable to find it using NetFlix US version but fortunately the aforementioned VPN service lets you "adjust" or change the country in which the VPN tunnel ultimately terminates.

There are also easier and cheaper ways, a friend of mine was able to get the US content on his PS3 (or some such gaming console) just by changing his DNS settings (Google is your friend here). That should work for a PC as well.

I think they make it so easy to bypass the content restrictions as they know everybody does it and very few would subscribe to the really stripped down Canadian version if they couldn't. That said I did find one movie available in Canada and not available in the US but the VPN connection is definitely the preferred method as it even lets me watch NetFlix US on my Android smartphone, it also makes email and all Wifi or data related traffic much more secure.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. I actually use PS3 to watch almost everything on Netflix. Changing the DNS on PS3 sounds interesting, so I googled it. There are many How to links shows up. One of the links that came up was a bit shocking to me -

http://www.hsmagazine.net/2010/12/caution-do-not-alter-your-ps3s-dns-settings/

I really have to study a bit further before proceeding.

For those of you who live in Ottawa (which seems to be most in this discussion), you can rent the DVD at Invisible Cinema, which is a video rental place located at Bank and Lisgar. That's where I rented it from.

Most people seem to actually believe that video rental stores are extinct, but I manage to live in the past and see all movies by still renting DVDs and going to the cinema. I'm like a dinosaur among you! Roar!

• Like 1