When you get a tattoo...

I never had any urge to get a tattoo, but I've seen enough of them. I've always wondered, what motivates you to get one? And how do you decide what you want? I'm always a little taken aback when I see a number of totally disparate designs on someone, I have to wonder. (If I were going to get more than one tattoo, I'd probably try to at least coordinate them somehow.) Tell me about it.

I knew for a long time before I got mine that I wanted one however for me to decorate my body with lasting art (which is what a good tattooist will give you) it had to be meaningful to me. It took awhile to figure out what I wanted and mine is totally custom to me and what's important to me. Having said that, I found the whole tattoo experience stimulating and arousing (while also relaxing and enjoyable) and that gave me the yen for more. I have another in mind it's just finding the time, money and right artist to draw it.

I have heard different motivations for placement IE. where it won't get deformed by weight gain or loss, where it can be seen constantly as a reminder, where it's not seen for employment reasons. My thought is that those seriously into tattoos for the esthetic and meaningful, choose based on the tattoo they want and the skin they have available. Most serious "collectors" don't plan out placement, sometimes it just happens. Those who just want tattoos tend to pick the "obvious" spots....lower back, ankle, upper shoulder, wrist etc.

Like everything else inn life, it's a personal thing whether it's serious or frivolous. Mine is now part of me and I would feel loss with out. However, anyone calling it a tramp stamp will automatically be kicked in places they don't want to be kicked because my placement has meaning and the meaning is NOT "isn't that where all girls put it". Boot to the head!! lol.

• Like 1

Guest S**a*Q

I started with my first one 17 years ago, when I was 18. I was hooked from there on in.

I plan, by the time I'm old, to be covered from ankle to wrists. :) There's something about tattoos for me... I love the attention they garner.

I look at older photos of me and I'm all EW GROSS! So much white skin.... YUCK!

My left arm, right upper arm and back are all cover ups. I went to a shitty tattoo artist and was stuck with BAD BAD ink. My artist now has done all my designs and all my inking. I expect to have him do all of me. I trust him.

Oddly enough, when it comes to the boys I'm attracted to, I really don't like tattoos on other people. Well not that I don't like them. Cleo's are awesome... and she's way sexier with them. I think it's okay for girls, but not boys in my life. I wouldn't date someone who stands out more than I do. I need to be the centre of attention. Lol! (Oh, one more exception... My tattoo artist is a friggen doll, and he's super covered in ink.)

I'm working on a full back piece right now, then covering the last spot on my right arm with a pin-up who looks exactly like me (tattoos and everything). After that, it's down to the legs, I have the right ones planned out, but not the left yet.

I'm really top heavy when it comes to my ink and I don't like it. MUST GET MORE!!!

I love how tattoos are more mainstream now. People need to understand tattoos don't change who we are on the inside, I'm still the same person no matter how much ink I have. My tattoos just make me more interesting to look at. :D

I tattoo what I like, or what I think looks good. The only ones for me that have any true 'meaning' are of my four animal companions, and a fifth one of a dog that was dear to me who passed away recently.

A co-worker at a spa I was working at last year looked at my leg and said 'wow, you just tattoo what you like on you, don't you?' And I looked at my tattoos of cats, cupcakes, the Beverly Hills, 90210 logo...and realized, HELL YEAH! So I asked myself, what else do I like? DICKS. So next week I'm getting dicks tattooed on my leg. Yup, I'm serious.

The more tattoos I get though, now I take the coverage and placement into big consideration. I have no big spaces left (except my chest, which I never intend to tattoo). I know I want to have my ribs, feet, and neck tattooed at some point, so I will somewhat always have that in the back of my head when I meet a new tattoo artist who's stuff I like. I recently began a piece on the back of my thigh, and I booked the consultation purely on the fact that I wanted a tattoo in that spot, and I'd been wanting to be tattooed by that artist for quite some time. As I walked to my consultation, looking at his portfolio, I realized that every vague idea I had of what to do didn't match his style. It was right when I walked into the shop that it popped into my head, and I looked at him and said 'FLYING MONKEY'. I knew I'd chosen right because he said 'AWESOME. That's all the info you have to give me', and he drew me a phenomenal piece.

• Like 1

Guest S**a*Q

I totally missed the meaning part... I just went on a tattoo rant. LOL!

Most of mine have no meanings, my big pieces don't, they are simply UBER colourful. My SW sleeve and egyptian back piece are fun.

I have a quill on my arm for my writing.

Another one of my tats is the same as my little brother's. We got matching tattoos to represent family.

The pinup of me will be to represent my sexuality and how I'm not afraid to be who I am.

I'm currently deciding between full legs or if I'm going to break it down into thighs and calves...

I am pretty sure I'll break the areas down, my right calf will be dedicated to my favourite authors, so books and whatnot.

The left is just for whatever I want... Random ones that I think are cool... I wouldn't mind a bunch of horror icons, Freddy, Jason, Chucky, Frankenh ooker, one of my characters... and so on.

I would also love to get corset laces on the back of my thighs... Similar to this but in an electric blue and black.

4313711211_01696547a0.jpg

I want my chest done, but that's last... I have no idea what I want. I might go big for the last piece and cover a full side from hip up to the ribs and to my chest.

And that's about it. :)

I love tattoos, they are beautiful works of art. To me my tattoo's are like jewelry or adornments. I have two different tattoo's, one was to cover a childhood scar and the other was to highlight a favorite body part my lower back.

When I was a child I was really rough on my body and I was clumsy to boot, bad combination. My poor mother was constantly washing me up and I have had a couple trips to the hospital. Anyways, my stomach was left with a bit of a scar. Nothing to noticeable to anyone else but it bothered me. So I was reading that tattoos cover up scars really well. I thought about the tattoo for about 6 months to make sure this was something I wanted. I looked at many tattoo's to find the style and shape I wanted, brought in the tattoo to the shop. They altered the picture I had showed them and made a tattoo that would fit my scar. I LOVE MY TATTOO. Every time I look down now I'm reminded of childhood memories. They did make my scar into a thing of beauty.

My second one was a little les meaningful. I love my lower back and didn't want a tramp stamp. So I was obsessed with lady ga ga's back tattoo. I also spent a good amount of time thinking about this. I looked at many tattoo's and nothing was quite the same. I knew that I had to have this tattoo. So brought the picture in and they modified the tattoo to fit my body. I look at this tattoo and I am so happy. I the tattoo highlights my lower back in the most perfect way, better than jewelry ever could.

I don't know if I ever want to get anymore tattoo's but I do think about the placement of the tattoo's. I have decided against two separate tattoo's because if I was to get a different job, the tattoo's would stick out. I like to show my tattoo's off when I want to and put them away when I need to. No one would ever know that I have tattoo's when I'm fully clothed and that's the way I like it. I always like to call my tattoo's my secret garden because I have all flowers, lol.

I've got a tattoo on each wrist, they where a gift from the person who is the center of my world on our second anniversary. Two words on each wrist to remind me that I'm all ways hers. Their placement and meaning are important to both of us.

Down my right side from my under arm to the top of my leg it says Blessed be the whores and witches. I live in a house of whores and witches and the bulk of the people I care about are one or the other or both. I wanted the tattoo to make a bold and unflinching statement that all though we are oft miss understood we should also be loved and treasured.

I have other marks on my body as well, two brands a star on each collar bone. One was done the weekend of my engagement and the second on my wedding day. There are also thin white scares left by scalpels and knives all are part of the map of my life.

One day given family history I expect my mind to fail, but I'll still have my hide to yell my story.

Every tattoo I have has a story behind it. Some have been spur of the moment with friends dear to me, and others I have contemplated for some time, including using a sharpie marker to draw it on to make sure that is where I'd want it to be. I am working towards a half-sleeve and so at the moment they may appear to be disjointed... but there is a plan. Tattoos are expensive ;)

Well the closest I came to getting tattooed was back in my Army days, and also back when I drank. One night a bunch of us went off base and got drunk in a gasthaus (I was posted in West Germany) Well my comrades in arms thought it would be a good idea to get a totally drunk RG tattooed.

Cheap bastards though, didn't have enough money...THANK GOD!!!

Why thank god, well any tattoo they would get me would be, I'm sure, embarrassing as hell. And why do I say that, well another soldier had a nice handlebar moustache which he took care for and loved...it was his pride and joy. What did his comrades, same as mine BTW, do???...he got drunk one night, and he lost half his moustache...yup they shaved half it off while he was passed out drunk. Next morning on parade he was so hung over and didn't notice half his moustache gone. When the CSM did his morning inspection just split his sides laughing

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. While I am personally glad I never got a tattoo...just not me. And I have a military and law enforcement background, jobs which seem to either attract or have their fair share of people with tattoos. I also grew up in an era where men could have tattoos, but it was unheard of on women. But since partaking in this lifestyle, I have met ladies who both have no tattoos, or one or two discrete tattoos to some covering major parts of their bodies...and a lady is beautiful whether she has or doesn't have tattoos

A long winded rambling from a guy who's canvas is bare LOL but finds a lady whether with or without tattoos beautiful

RG

I am not a young guy, and had no tattoos until after seeing Jessica (Jessicamassage) for about 6 months...I found the tattoo on her leg to be oh so sexy on her spectacular body. I was inspired by her, and got an an arm bar..