Top 5 regrets in life

I am a huge believer in LIVING, not just going through the motions. People always find a reason not to do something... Be it fear, lack of money, etc. The way I see it, we only get to live once... And I plan to continue filling my life with experiences. Feel the fear and do it anyway. I have NO regrets.

I bet a lot of people, at the end of their lives when asked about regrets would say -- you regret the things you DON'T do, never the things you do.

• Like 2

I know exactly how you feel. It was the death of my grandfather that really set it clear to me. As soon as I realized how important that last moment is, I could feel a change within myself. What we do up to that moment is each person's decision. Me, I'm Living it today.

Be true, humble, compassionate & kind always

to yourself and to all others.

Have a sweet day!

• Like 1

Life.. is what we make it, i have many regrets in life ... soo far but im young and NOW is the time to change and move forward, past is past -- can only make today count, cause never know what tomorrow will bring, LOVE , LAUGH AND SMILE.

Good thread. An unusual regret many may say. My one regret in life is that I studies for so many years all the way to the highest degree and now in my mid 40's I have only 15 years of pension (not to mention I over-qualified myself for many jobs) and have to work another 20 years to have a comfortable retirement income. If I am born again I would only go up to the Bachelor's degree and go to work at 23 and retire when I will be 55 to enjoy the second half of my life travelling around the world.

I am very pleased to have stumbled on this thread again. Thank you, Al, for starting it.

I have many regrets in life, but I try not to dwell on them like many folks say here. There are many " what if's", and sometimes, I do wonder too. Like you, CH, I had worked hard to have obtained the highest degree one could study for. However, I had no regret in getting my highest education. What I would do if I were to reborn again though, I would have spent more time in doing the fun things most or all young people do such as partying and getting some girl friends to spend time with. But since the "reborn" is out of the question, I am grateful and indebted to cerb and my favorite ladies here for providing me the opportunity to live my "gfe" dream.

Guest ChantalSummers

These are amazing life lessons, Al. I can imagine they would be hard for anyone to remember all throughout and try to avoid making the same errors. It's very eye opening to me. These are all areas I know presently I can work on. Thank you for such an inspirational and touching thread. It's very appreciated. It's important to live for the moment and be true to yourself. Life is short. It's easy to take it for granted. But it's important to value it and live your dreams.

I try to live each day not having any, although before my father died I took advantage I'd say of time and all I was blessed with even him. So I would say that's my biggest regret not loving him better, I was so lucky to have had a father like him, miss him desperately and only wish I could have loved him more. But we all do our best at the time I suppose and really shouldn't regret anything . We do what we know to do with what we have, unfortunately sometimes there's always room for improvement:)

• Like 1

I have no regrets. For me, regrets are missed opportunities to learn the lesson that life has to offer us at that moment. An opportunity for internal growth, a wider perspective of myself and how I interact with others and the world around me. My motto is to look within myself first. I change cannot change what has happened but through internal reflection, I can change how I view and interact with the world and those around me.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...Ghandi

• Like 2

honestly my only regret is as much as I love my job to the moon and back I regret being so open about it in my life as proud and as okay as I think it is not everyone has the same opinion of our job and therefore I only regret being open and honest about it when people ask me what I did for a living. my only regret would be not being secretive enough lol

• Like 2

LOL! I love how you think! :-)

Additional Comments:

We are not defined by one moment in time or something we do or have done. This is only one small part of you. Who you are is the sum of everything you do, believe and live by. You are a beautiful spirit. Be proud that you are brave enough to be yourself and what you want to do. Have you heard the quote...

"You better be perfect before you judge me". :-)

Additional Comments:

oops! dropped it in the wrong post. It should go here :-)

We are not defined by one moment in time or something we do or have done. This is only one small part of you. Who you are is the sum of everything you do, believe and live by. You are a beautiful spirit. Be proud that you are brave enough to be yourself and what you want to do. Have you heard the quote...

"You better be perfect before you judge me".

I think i lived my life with the general feeling that you make choices and do what you think is right and then you should never regret your choices.... the regret is wasted as there really is no way to do anything about a previous choice.

What I have learned in the last few years is that while all that remains true it is an easy thing to say and accept for 99.9999999999% of our choices as these while often important choices are not FINAL choices so we can have no regrets but learn from the experience and move forward. When the choice however is a FINAL choice .... like the ones contemplated by people facing death or by people who are left behind when someone they love is gone....it suddenly is not so easy to say...no regrets an just move forward.

Add to this the associated guilt often felt by people left behind when someone dies....when perhaps there were things they could have or should have done and the whole regret issue can become a paralyzing quagmire that consumes the person.

Am I saying we are wrong to not have regrets no...just suggesting that regret...sorry....and grief can make this I much more complex thing.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7

I have made many mistakes in life and only hope that I have learned from each one. Do I wish I had sometimes made a different decision? Yes, of course. Can I honestly say that I regret the decisions I did make? No, I don't think so.

Each wrong decision is an opportunity to grow and if these experiences afford you the ability to help one person avoid the same mistake, then there should be no regret but rather, joy that your fuck-up has helped steer another to the better path.