Post #1000......with a antlerman rant!!!!!!!!

Well.....I have finally made it to the big 1000....yes...after months of useless postings....jokes.....questions...and even a few wonderful experiences that I was lucky to share.......I made it to the big 1000.

So I figured, why not start the next bunch of posts off with a rant...a good rant...one that we all can relate to.

A rant that is not about this hobby...

The rant may be partially that I have not had enough coffee this morning?.or that I have had an exceptionally bad week??but a rant is a rant.....right?.....well....listen.....

Common courtesy?..being polite??..basic stuff??.the things we have forgotten as a society.

I am talking about the please?thank-you?and little things in life that can bring a smile to a face?..put a bounce in your step??and just make a day seem better.

Here I was just arriving at work?.I park in the parking structure close to work, and get my things, then head to the stairs for the nice sunny walk down 2 flights to the street.

Now being the gentleman that I was raised to be?.I see 2 other people coming in right behind me.

So I open the door?push it in?step in and hold it open for the two people following me.

The fist person?male..mid to late 40?s walks right past not even a nod or any thank you.

The second a lady about a decade younger than the male, walks by?.brushing me as she does only have 3? of door open space to get through??gross?..as she does pass she actually is able to dislodge my pass from the clip and it falls to the ground.

She turns looks sees it fall to the floor?.and keeps walking away?..!!

What the &*^%^%(????????

So I bend over?...pick it up?and say in a loud enough voice?..?Sorry my fault?...I should be more careful when holding the door for people?.have a nice day??put on a smile antler?keep going?..

Then I walk outside and head towards my building?..I am following some people?..3 people in fact all going through the same door?..the first person holds the door behind him to allow the next person to at least get to an open door?.same for the next person??and they actually did a head nod to acknowledge the fact a little politeness was done.

But what the f...k was with the person in front of me who slips through the door as it swings closed and into my f...k...g face!!!!!!

Again?my sarcastic and caffeine depleted body speaks out???thanks for holding the door???..another reminder to self to smile?.look friendly??.smile??

Then as you head down the hall??there?..in front?..2 people walking side by side?down the middle??in a hall wide enough for 4 people?..only leaving room enough room to pass a 90lb frail skinny anorexic talk show guest on either side of them?..not nearly enough room for me??

It unfolds like a slow motion movie scene??..man I really do need coffee??.

I keep my smile?make pleasant eye contact??give the good morning nod?..as we get closer?..movie goes to slower motion now?..they do not move........

I hold my line of travel?..my shoulder?2 ? from one wall?.leaving my other shoulder exposed for the obvious collision?

screw them?I moved once?..they have to move?..common courtesy?.make room?? nope??here it comes!!!!

I hold my ground?.slam!!!...Bash!.....POW!!!!.....just like the old Batman TV show?.

?Oh!.....I am sorry?..I guess I should have placed myself flat against the wall so the two of you could have progressed without interruption?..?

?Please excuse me for not being polite enough to allow you both the entire hall to your selves?..what was I thinking?.....?

I turned around and went on my way..........screw them I am thinking?..all with a smile?..

I will hold doors for people hoping for that little nod of the head?or that word that even if spoken like a whisper makes the effort worth while??..?thank you??.I even get a shiver down my back when someone says ?thank you???thanks??..

I love it!!...simple courtesy??.being polite?..

I follow it with a robust friendly ?your welcome?

So what is wrong with people?...........why not be a little polite?show a little niceness??common curtisy????pay it forward just a little??..

I wave at people who let me in to the line of traffic??..

I say ?Thanks??or ?Thank-you?

I hold elevators open?..

I smile when in public?

Hell?I even offer my arm to the elderly??(I am getting close myself)?when I see they are in any distress of an awkward situation.

Am I just plain stupid?

Should I just give up this hopeless chivalry?

Do I need more coffee before I go out into the day?..???...

• Like 1

Antler, keep up with your chivalry as it is very obvious that many people in society do need to learn the fine art of it.

If it takes a few snide comments to uncourteous people so they may in fact actually think about it and possibly change their ways, so be it.

It will be for the betterment of society as a whole.

Being 35 I am not terribly old, but growing up I was instilled to my very bones with the fact that if you can't be anything else you can be a polite and courteous person.

I am much like you Antlerman, doors get held open, I allow people in front of me, I always, always thank people when they are courteous. Hell, if I am passing someone within their space bubble (I walk fast), say on stairs or escalators, I hold my arm behind my back and say excuse me as I pass, even if I don't brush by them.

This extreme lack of manners and common courtesy drives me as insane as it does you! I hammer these beliefs into my sons day after day. I tell them what my mom told me, at the end of the day I don't care if you are a doctor or a janitor as long as you respect yourself and other people I am happy.

Great rant Antlerman!

• Like 1

Congrats on 1000 Antlerman...You are one of most humorous gentlemen on this site and are responsible for many belly laughs.

As for your rant....you sound exactly like me..definate lack of respect and common courtesy in this world today and it is not just the younger people...there are a lot of 40 year olds with the same problem.

My advise is for you to just keep being you and maybe you and people like us will slowly change the world back to what it once was.

I call this the me, me, me world now...all most people are concerned about are themselves and they live life with blinders on....living a very selfish life, along with a total lack of respect.

Well, I hope you get your coffee, and having gotten this off your chest, you can enjoy the rest of the day. Have a good one.

• Like 1

We need more people like you Antler...just hope when you offer an arm to an elderly lady you don't get bonked over the head with a purse or umbrella...remember Ruth Buzzi on Laugh-in?

Thanks, and congrats on reaching 1,000 - now you can aim for 2,000.:lol:

Hell...I remember back in University (yes....contrary to belief I have some education).....I was going down the hall with some friends......our Philosohy teacher was behind us.....

She was a Woman's libber and bra burning bitch from hell......She was an-earth mother who had hairy arms and legs....believed that no woman should rely on a man.....hard core type....mix that in with the look of a flower child in a peasent skirt....crap her tits were down to he belly button.....

Anyway.....I was last through the door...and out of habit......I held it open for her....

"I am a woman, and I do not need a man to open the door for me"

I stood in shock :shock: out of something I did that was just plain basic.......

I looked at her...looked at my buddies.......asked her to step back...and slammed the door in her face.................:-P

She came running after me and my buddies as we were laughing.....demanding an apology for my actions.....I laughed....looked at my buddies and said " have I ever applogized for slamming the door in your faces....??"

Where they laughed and replied......"we are not women who are dependant on men for appologies!!!"..........

She stood there in disbelief as we walked away laughing again......

• Like 1

Anita...I truly think that you make some valid points here, but this should be accompanied by a good old spanking for our friend Antlerman!

He should stop in Winnipeg on route to Vancouver to see Anita so I can spank him too!

Being in a bad mood or having a bad day or having a bad life, that's no excuse for lack of courtesy. It's selfish is what it is. I've had many angry, miserable days and I don't even like people for the most part, but I'm still always polite and courteous. Do unto others and all that shit, you know?

But it is vexing sometimes, especially when you are being nice and the same respect is not reciprocated. I went grocery shopping last night with my son, he's in the cart and I have a about 30 items in there to unload as I pulled into the lineup. Then this cute young thing shows up at the cash with just a pineapple in her hand and instead of standing behind me, she positions herself next to me in way that was suggesting to me that I should let her go ahead. Maybe she wasn't, who knows, but I don't kiss anybody's ass just because they are good looking, and I was getting that vibe from her since she probably always gets what she wants.

Comes to my turn to start loading stuff on the conveyor and I say fuck it, she's just got a pineapple, let her go ahead. So I smile and wave her in front of me and she smiles back with a thankful nod. She places the pineapple on the belt at the end (guess it was really heavy) and needs to wait for the preceding person's groceries to get scanned through. So what does she do but stand at the back end of the conveyor going through her purse the whole time while the whole other load is scanned and her pineapple is the only fucking thing on the belt right at the very front. I'm standing behind her with a young boy who wants to get the fuck out of the cart and me wanting to load all that shit to move things along quicker...but she's totally oblivious to all this and just stands there like a wax statue and matching IQ.

So I think what happens a lot of the time is that nice people get drawn over to the dark side after having to deal with inconsiderate assholes all too often. My gut reaction with this situation was, "That's the last time I let somebody in line!" But I won't change, I'll still be polite and considerate. If I never got rewarded for it though, might just become jaded and say fuck it, no point anymore is there?

Guest f***2f***

Well this is an interesting thread. I agree with Emma that people are politer in Atlantic Canada and friendlier in general. i grew up here in Ottawa and always found people colder and less likely to be friendly or courteous to a stranger.

Having said that I find the people who work in my building pretty good for the most part when it comes to manners. Holding doors , pleasant nods and good morning or good afternoons are exchanged. I find myself always initiating though....and generally people will reciprocate....In Atlantic Canada people are spontaneous in their smiles, wishes of good morning or striking up conversations.

My pet peeve is that drivers in Ottawa always have been rude assholes for the most part. In Halifax at an on ramp or busy corner people let you in...usually on a one for one basis...I go, you go, pass it on....not here.....the watchword is speed up and close the gap...don't let that poor son or a bitch in no matter what!! and if he dares to think he might be given a break....lean on the horn and give him the finger!!

When I let someone in with a friendly wave....I usually get an astonished look of amazement (like they are thinking.."you simpleton, you are obviously not from here and don't know that the rule here is to never give anyone a break") when I let someone in. The thing that really pisses me off is when I let someone in and they don't wave or mouth a silent thank you but slip in and then cut people off at the next intersection without giving them a break....oiy vey!!!

I won't change though....I remain committed to being polite and courtesy...karma will repay us all!!:mrgreen:

Guest W***ledi*Time
move to nova scotia Sometimes fights break out between people waiting to hold the door open for you...8) we are very friendly there maybe too friendly? :lol:

nova scotia ... yep, this is what drives me crazy here in Nova Scotia: someone is always stopping to hold the entrance-door to the post office or grocery store open for you ... when you're still halfway across the parking lot from the door ... you feel guilty that they're standing there for so long awaiting your slow shuffling arrival, so you feel obliged to break into a trot, so as to get there sooner and release them from their self-imposed door-keeper's bondage. I'm always afraid that the local pigeons will mistake them for inanimate statues, and start perching on their heads before I get there to put them out of their misery ...

What really pisses me off is when I'm walking on the sidewalk and a group of two or three people are coming towards me and make no effort to walk in single file, forcing me either into the road or onto someone's lawn to get around them. Something else that's really started to irk me are those over-sized, ridiculous strollers that take up the entire sidewalk. And then you look in and they've got one teeny little baby in there. You'd think with the size of that stroller, she'd have more than one baby in there.

I also hate when 40-something obese women sit in the spaces for the elderly or pregnant on the bus and then complain about how they're not moving for anyone. I will always get up and offer my seat, even if I'm not in priority seating.

Hey Boner...don't forget west..people out this way are pretty polite and friendly for the most part...I would like to visit the east someday and check out how friendly the people are, I heard they are very pleasant.

Guest f***2f***
Hey Boner...don't forget west..people out this way are pretty polite and friendly for the most part...I would like to visit the east someday and check out how friendly the people are, I heard they are very pleasant.

Yes I've lived in the West too (BC and Alberta) very nice.....Victoria was a little stuffy when I first went there but it was getting better in later years once all those Easterners retired there ha ha.....kidding:lol:

Canadians do have a reputation abroad as being excessively, almost ridiculously polite.

A joke told in Australia: "Why don't Canadians go to orgies?

They'd have to write too many thank you notes."

• Like 1