How do you change computer name windows 7

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while, and just cant seem to get it to work right.

When I got my computer, my bil did some work on it for me to make it work better. I appreciate that, but now, all my documents have my name on it. I renamed my computer, but the files still show xxxxx(myname)/computer name. I really didn't realize he was going to put my real name on my computer, and I cant seem to get to the buried link to correct this.

When I log on, it shows the correct computer name. But when I look at the file name for my word or excel, it shows both names. Can I fix this?

Not sure what you mean by Excel and Word showing your name, but could you be referring to the account name, which you should be able to change through Start | Control Panel | Add or remove user accounts ?

If that's the case, then your name wouldn't be an integral part of the filename, just the path. You could test this out by putting the file in a USB key and looking at it from a different computer.

Youcan change you account name as noted above Start | Control Panel | Add or remove user accounts ?

for word, its author that you want to remove... not the computer name.

If you change you user name you might remove the problem anyway, but any older documents will still show the user name that you had when it was entered. You can remove authors from the paper, but... for Word 2003 I could tell you how to do it, but can't figure it out for Word 2010 .

my editor used to have to remove names from computer Word documents all the time so I know its possible.

excel is most likely the same

I just tried it... for word 2010 you can alter your user name by going to the file menu and clicking options and the first part under options is "general" and it lists you user name and you can just change the name that is listed.

but I'm not sure if you can remove previous authors... I'll give it a try. no luck, but if you change you name in word and then edit a doc, your new name appears.

Youcan change you account name as noted above Start | Control Panel | Add or remove user accounts ?

for word, its author that you want to remove... not the computer name.

Yes, this is what the issue is. My computer shows the correct name I want it to be, however, when I save a document (word, excel) it shows in the file path the original name. I want to change this permanently so that it does not show in my file path. When I insert a comment onto my excel sheet, it shows that name too, so I have to delete it and type my comment.

Ok, I think I understand I need to rename my c-drive. Can't find a rename link. That might fix it.

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

If you simply renamed your Windows account, it does not actually change the directory name / file path. You would need to create a new account, move your documents, favourites, etc from this current account to the new one

Guest jrose

And then, depending on the version of Office, you may still have to make a change in it. For Example, in 2007 you go to file - options and in the Genreal options is "Personalize your copy of Office" with a name box.

And then, depending on the version of Office, you may still have to make a change in it. For Example, in 2007 you go to file - options and in the Genreal options is "Personalize your copy of Office" with a name box.

I cannot find general options anywhere. Software is Microsoft 7. When I go to the start up menu, type all programs it gives me "Microsoft office" -gives me options of word, excel, powerpoint. Have tried every which way but loose, and still don't seem to find it.....Older versions were so much easier to rename.

Guest jrose

In Excel do you have the first menu a different color called "File" or is it perhaps a Circle?

What's the name of Excel when you search the start menu?

"Microsoft Office Excel 2007" or "2003" or ? Depending on the version of excel / word depends on where that setting is hiding :)

You are brilliant. Yes, I hit the circle, and see that there was a link at the bottom of the spreadsheet that says excel options. Hit that link and there was the part I could finally edit. You are so awesome. Thank you so much.

xoxo

I am trying to sort out which "name" you want to change. There are potentially three "names".

For Windows 7, your computer has a name you can change -

Control Panel

System

Advanced System Settings

Computer Name

Change

You mention the name is in the path. This would be the user name as in (if I created a user named BCGuy42) C:\users\BCGuy42\precious.doc. To change that one, create a new user on your system (Control Panel - User accounts) with the desired name. As previously noted, move your docs to this new user.

The third possibility is the "author" defined in your Microsoft Office install. Changing that is as simple as File, Options in any open Office file.

Does any of that help?

Well, I was able to change the user name of my Microsoft documents. That I just fixed. That way, when I insert comments onto my excel spreadsheet, it shows the name I want it to show.

My User name - when I log onto my computer is also correct.

However, when I go into my c drive, and hit user - it is still showing the incorrect name. I cannot hit right click to change this. Have gone online to figure it out, and still, it is elusive to me. So, my file path shows computer>local drives>user>wrong name It will not let me edit wrong name.

Not a big problem, just driving me nuts!

Guest jrose

For that one you will have to make a new windows profile and transfer all your data over to it - even changing the user NAME won't change that item.

The Path for your user folder will be the profile name. Lots of times you will see "Owner" with pre done setups.

Take a look at this: (Supposed to be used going from 1 PC to another, not sure if it will work on the same PC but Easy in the name makes it worth the try :) )

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

Here's another link for doing it manually... but be careful if you delete the "old" profile and select "delete files" the files are gone for the most part without a LOT more work.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Edited by jrose
More info :)

What other people have said is true, you would need to create a new account and then transfer the files over. Im an IT guy so if you need assistance I'd be glad to help anyway I can.