Why are North Americans so disrespectful to the aged

Why are we so ignorant about and to, who should be our most treasured populace, the "older generation". In other countries they are revered, respected and treated so much better. They can and do teach us so much, they are our history keepers and without knowledge of our past how could we improve our futures?

I have had some of the best conversations with seniors.I love their company and enjoy their openness, life lessons and bravery. I mean it really does take strong person to age gracefully, its not for the weak of mind:)

It especially saddens me when I see an elder person out by themselves struggling along in a walker or a wheelchair and see that they have become invisible to most. I wonder if they have families, are they living comfortably, what have they been through, what have they accomplished and are they alone?

If you have an elderly neighbour, relative, or see someone that you think my be alone why not offer your company and assistance, you will make a stranger a new friend and give someone purpose:) and the feeling that they aren't forgotten.

• Like 5

Guest S****r

Good admonition, Cristy!

I guess our society over values youth and potential more than they do wisdom and life experience.

Good admonition, Cristy!

I guess our society over values youth and potential more than they do wisdom and life experience.

Good point, but more should realize without those before us many wouldn't have the ability to prove their potential, after all a road has to be created and cleared first before it can be walked on:)

Good point, but more should realize without those before us many wouldn't have the ability to prove their potential, after all a road has to be created and cleared first before it can be walked on:)

Not to forget that they have been through before where we are going through now. We tend to overlook the fact that one day, we'll be just like them and we will wish to be treated with the respect that we deserve.

• Like 1

I think Summer has hit on the core; out culture, like others, reveres youth and dynamism.

One of the problems with our particular culture is that we get most of our cues from media: tv shows, movie, and especially ads of all kinds. These things chase money, and the youthful set have the most to spend on consumer goods. So all of our cultural messaging is about them, their awesomeness, their privileged position and their material desires.

Past cultures had that same reverence for youth, even if it was less pervasive and less scientifically targeted at us. But they also had different cultural messages transmitted through mutually-dependent families, communities, and even shared social institutions like churches, that gave us a different perspective and reminded us how valuable wisdom and experience can be. But, with the erosion of these influences, almost all that's let for us today is the media and its cultural message of youth and consumption. Not a very healthy or realistic sole focus, but that's something we often learn too late.

• Like 2

This is a very emotional issue for me. I agree that we mistreat and disrespect our seniors, and veterans. It makes no sense to me. They are the ones who built this country, who's taxes and contributions are the foundation for our roads, hospitals schools etc. They deserve our thanks, gratitude and help. I always hold doors, reach items high up on shelves at grocery stores and do what I can to make them feel appreciated. My Mom is 77 and has early Alzheimer's. My hope is people will treat her the way I treat seniors I run into. Yes, they are a bit slower than they used to be. They drive slower, sometimes with their blinker on for blocks. They get confused at the cash sometimes. Their minds aren't quite as sharp as in their youth. Please be patient, for one day it will be you who needs a helping hand. (End of sermon)

• Like 5

I must confess I hate getting behind a slow driver (be it senior or not LOL) but I don't lean on the horn, just pass when I get the chance.

But seniors get treated with respect, as do all people, by me. And not just holding the door. There is a senior who uses a walker living below me in my apartment building. Taking out the garbage for her is difficult so I do it for her. But the biggest time I spend with a senior is my mother, who at 84 years old has problems with her eyes (for which she has had surgery) and I have taken her to her doctor's appointments. Also, and thank god she wasn't mad LOL, but I had to contact her doctor because she is starting to have memory problems. I don't just occasionally visit my mother, I (and my brother too) stay in touch regularly. I'd hate for her to slip and fall in her condo (a possibility) and no one knowing. She's already been told not to change the light bulbs in her ceiling lights just so she won't fall

It's one of those cycle of life things I guess.

Anyhow, a convoluted rambling

RG

• Like 1

I think in North America, mobility and distance are great, and many kids accept jobs all over the world. The family unit is far more dispersed, and many seniors are left alone, respect is still there but the daily contact no longer possible. I am glad that they are making successes of their lives and wouldn't want it any other way. I know that in my own instance one is in the Middle East and the other in the Southern US. I am rather fortunate to be able to travel and visit, but do know that I will have to fend for myself in the future as I age.

• Like 1

I can relate to you coz my mom suffers from Alzeimer also...she is now 82! My brother, sister and I have learned to let go...meaning not getting upset over the repeating as its not easy to deal with...I just try to make her smile and laugh as much as possible...

• Like 1