Transgender artist arrested for baring breasts on plane

Guest Miss Jane TG

Haha. Well played ladies, well played!!

Should be an interesting court case to follow. I have a feeling a lot of news will be covering this story.

I have the feeling a lot of news will be covering this story as well. By the law, if they did not have their sex changed, they will be treat as men. Nina Arsenault is the ex-lover of the murderer Luka Magnotta arrested in 2012.

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud here, but my guess is if a guy took his shirt off and wandered up and down the aisle of an airliner he might be facing arrest too

My guess here, and I'm not a policeman or lawyer, is that the arrest was likely under some provision of the Aeronautics Act

Anyhow, my two cents worth which means not even that, since we don't have pennies anymore LOL

RG

There are a lot of layers to each of the events reported in this news story. While I could offer a comment on each of them, the one that struck me most was the lack of discretion in how the law was dispensed.

Did the flight attendant need to report the alleged behavior of the passenger to the flight deck? The main job of the cabin crew is to help ensure the safety of the flight, meaning that if in their judgment a situation develops or could develop that would disrupt that safety, it is within their authority to take action. In this case, the cabin crew deemed the situation a safety risk, and reported it as such to the flight deck. I.E. judgment led to lack of discretion as to action. The pilots cannot leave the cockpit when the aircraft is in flight. They must rely on the (good) judgment of the cabin crew as to the risk being reported to them, and on that basis make a decision as to remedial action. In this case, they called for the flight to be met by police. Interesting, though, that the flight crew did not deem the risk (as described to them) to be so severe as to divert the flight to the nearest airport in order to eliminate the "risk."

Then there're the actions of the RCMP... (Shades of Robert Dziekanski...)

Of course, all of the facts are not known, yet. One thing seems certain, and that is the alleged provocation that set all of this in motion could have, and arguably should have, not happened at all. Could it have been all avoided with some sensitivity on the part of the flight attendant? Maybe. Was the ensuing reaction to the ignorance(?) of the flight attendant by the offending passenger(s) somewhat over the top? Probably.

One thing is certain, though: When it comes to flight safety, no one but NO ONE is going to get any latitude if it is put "at risk." 9/11 and a fellow named George W. Bush have seen to that.

So, the next time you find yourself on a commercial flight, know that the cabin crew, however intelligent or ignorant, can exercise some scary authority over you, without discretion.