Westerns, Got A Favourite?

Guest realnicehat

Rain is imminent and I have a mountain of laundry so I'm spending Canada Day indoors.

Feels like a day for stare downs and six shooters so I'm going to watch some Westerns. I'm leaning towards Tom Horn, Open Range, and Silverado not necessarily in that order

What about you, any favourites or suggestions?

Guest A*ro**n

Not a movie but a TV show. Deadwood. Fuckin' love that show. Such rich dialogue and Ian McShane should be recategorized as a force of nature.

Perhaps atypical, but Blazing Saddles.

If we are going legitimate I still like Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales and in Unforgiven. Of course, any of the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns are a good way to kill time.

• Like 2

Rio Bravo

El Dorado

True Grit

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

High Plains Drifter

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Magnificent Seven

RG

• Like 4

I'm a fan of the Western, but I tend to look for the oldies if they have the actors like

Jimmy Stewart, Henry Ford, The Duke John Wayne, Glen Ford, Robert Mitchum, Bronson and Widmark

They don't make them like they used to.

Guest realnicehat

If I may add to my own thread, some John Wayne favourites are:

Mclintock - The mud hill fight scene is priceless

Big Jake - "I thought you were dead". "Not Hardly"

The Sons of Katie Elder

I'm a fan of the Western, but I tend to look for the oldies if they have the actors like

Jimmy Stewart, Henry Ford, The Duke John Wayne, Glen Ford, Robert Mitchum, Bronson and Widmark

They don't make them like they used to.

Those are the best of the best. Robert Mitchum has always been a favorite of mine, something very very sexy about that man. The duke, my fathers favorite, he watched everything he played in. Although I'm not a huge western fan I would say anything with the Duke or Clint in it would be worthwhile:)

• Like 1

High Noon with Gary Cooper is pretty good as is How the West Was Won which had an all star cast.

Another older western

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

John Wayne, James Stewart, Lee Marvin

And John Wayne and James Stewart starred again in The Shootist, John Wayne's last movie, James Stewart playing the doctor

RG

I like the classics (The Good , The Bad, and the Ugly especially) but I'd have to agree with the mention of Deadwood for the top of the list. Nothing else like it.

Mostly because of Val Kilmer's performance as Doc Holliday, I'd also give a nod to Tombstone.

• Like 1

Once Upon a Time in The West is my favourite western.

I find The Quick & The Dead a good entertaining pulpy modern western.

El Topo is the weirdest western you will ever see.

The Good, The, Bad & The Weird is the best eastern western. It's got endless crazy stunts.

My favourite Clint Eastwood one is For A Few Dollars More.

tumblr_mlc7wovafw1qgpddwo1_500.jpg

My favorites have always been the Clint Eastwood ones. All the ones that have been mentioned plus

High Plains Drifter,

Hang'em High,

Two Mules for Sister Sara,

but his best one was Unforgiven.

3:10 to Yuma

My Name is Nobody with Henry Fonda and Terence Hill.

And John Wayne movies

In the new ones I like

Silverado

Wyatt Earp

The Quick and the Dead

Oh Jeez you may as well ask me to pick my favorite child!! (if I had children lol). Pretty much any western with Clint Eastwood is awesome. The "Man With No Name" trilogy, Pale Rider, The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Planes Drifter, Unforgiven...all pure Eastwood epicness!

Then there's other awesome westerns like Tombstone, Appaloosa, Young Guns, The Proposition, Wild Bill, Django Unchained....god....the list just goes on an on. Yeah I totally can't pick a favorite.

If I must pick though, I guess out of the Eastwood westerns I'd have to pick the Man With No Name trilogy,

if only because it revolutionized westerns as we know them today.

Out of everything else I guess I would pick Tombstone. I can't watch this movie enough times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo8rhsPv170.

I forgot to mention one of the true classics,

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! with Newman and Redford.

• Like 1

One I'll say don't bother watching is the remake of True Grit. Saw it last night on Cogeco On Demand. Wish I had watched a rerun of the original True Grit instead

RG

• Like 2

Guest A*ro**n

I saw this trailer yesterday for an upcoming Japanese remake of Unforgiven starring Ken Watanabe. Looks interesting, although I'll have to brush up on my Japanese.

The Wild Bunch...Sam Peckinpah......1969 Might be the best of the best.

The Long Riders... Walter Hill ......1980 The James,Younger, Miller and Ford bothers all played by brothers.

Not much else to say

Peace

MG

• Like 1

Rio Bravo - with John Wayne and Dean Martin

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart

Stagecoach - John Wayne

• Like 1

Guest fi****ek

I'll toss in some overlooked, underrated westerns.

The Hanging Tree (1959) directed by Delmer Daves, starring Gary Cooper, Karl Malden and Maria Schell.

The Stalking Moon (1968) directed by Robert Mulligan, starring Gregory Peck, Eva Marie Saint and Robert Forster.

Ride the High Country (1962) directed by Sam Peckinpah, starring Joel McRae and Randolph Scott.

Hour of the Gun (1967) directed by John Sturges, starring James Garner, Jason Robards and Robert Ryan.

The Big Country (1958) directed by William Wyler, starring Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons and Burl Ives.

The Professionals (1966) directed by Richard Brooks, starring Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin and Robert Ryan.

One Eyed Jacks (1961) directed by Marlon Brando, starring Marlon Brando and Karl Malden.

Got more if anybody wants 'em.

Guest ***nno**n***

My first western I ever watched was Seven brides for Seven brothers.

I thought it was great.

My last Western was Django unchained. But then we all know Quentin Tarantino is an amazing director.

I saw this trailer yesterday for an upcoming Japanese remake of Unforgiven starring Ken Watanabe. Looks interesting, although I'll have to brush up on my Japanese.

Yeah I'm looking forward to this one too. I'm sure it will be subtitled when it eventually comes out. I think it's kind of fitting that they adapted it into a samurai flick considering A Fistful Of Dollars (Clint's breakout role) is actually a remake of Yojimbo, a Japanese samurai movie.