Ok guys...this is just for us boys.

Being of a certain age, I experiment with keeping my mojo.

Ok, I admit it. I did the typical midlife crisis thing. Bought a motorbike, went to the gym, dropped some weight...but most importantly - I dyed my hair back to its original dark shade. Hey, I just wanted to look my best.

Didn't work the way I hoped. My SO laughed at me. My kid hid in shame. Friends asked me what I do to hide my roots. I think as one ages, the skin tone & colour changes. If you colour the hair, the aged skin tone & new hair just looks unnatural. I've seen it on other guys, and it looks so obviously stupid. One middle age, mid-life crisis guy can spot another middle age, mid-life crisis guy from a mile away.

Do you think guys should try to continue to push back the cruel hand of time or just suck it up and just keep it au naturale. I still got hair, but the forehead seems to have gotten bigger. Anyone got any suggestions?

Signed,

Dye-job

My mid-life hair crisis was not as much about the gray appearing, but that the bald spot was now dominating (I started losing my hair at 25; I like to think it's because I have a lot of testosterone in my bloodstream).

Instead of dying my hair, I just shaved it off. I've been shaving my head pretty much every morning since. The people around generally agree it works well for me.

I've got a circle beard (a.k.a. goatee) which started as playoff beard, but never went away. I've got a lot of colors in there: black, copper, gray. I like to think it suggests maturity.

It seems that as the years go by, men's hair get affected by gravity -- the hair on top has slid down into a beard and chest hair. Thinking of silverback gorillas, I sometimes jokingly look at myself and think "silverfront".

• Like 1

Guest webothscore

Jabba,

To answer your question, natural is the way to go. Looks better plus many girls dig salt and pepper.

Aging gracefully and accepting what nature gives you is tough but I think it tends to look better than most of the alternatives. For men with receding/thinning hair, I feel like the best bet is just to keep it really short, like, "shortest setting on the clipper" short.

It's kind of like telling Nature, "You can't fire me...I quit!"

All the other things are good. Not being overweight takes the years off. Staying fit makes you look and feel younger. Hair? Don't worry about it. Very few ladies care anyway as long as it's well cared for.

Or you could try this:

799352d1368665561-obsession-%85dude-enough-enough-combover.jpg

Guest *Ste***cque**

I have used Grecian formula or "just for men" as I started to go grey. The trouble is I'm not consistent. I use it and a month later I get a haircut and I'm greying again and just live with the grey for a few months before covering up the grey again. Of course, I'm not trying to fool anyone. I just like to see myself without any grey for a time.

My natural state right now is kind of a salt and pepper look but at some point I'll just stop using anything and let the grey take over. I don't want to look like Dick Clark with dark hair in my 70's.

I accept who i am and how i look.

I try to loose a few pounds as we all try to do, but i am not ashamed of my hefty frame.

Hell, i am proud of my loss of hair.....saves on shampoo and prep time

As for color and gray.......it is part of life

But i always mske sure i am clean, trimmed and not smelling rude in any way.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm well past the mid life crisis (I think anyways) and started the enlarged forehead thing about 10 years ago. I've always just kept it short and let the salt and pepper thing take its course. Now if I could just lose a little more of the love handle I'd be just right.

Another note on the hair loss........

Just consider it more room for the solar panel to run the sex drive!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

My hair was thinning and at the time I was playing a lot of baseball and didn't like wearing a hat and sunscreen became a must so I shaved it off, liked it and it suits me. Because I wear black cloths I've got the biker/poet thing happening. Sunscreen first thing and good to go and my head browns up nicely.

But truth be told if I could I'd have shoulder length hair.

Peace

MG

I am lucky that I am not balding. I have salt and pepper hair and I keep it short and I don't mind it. The ladies like it and when they guess my age and it is always 5 to 7 years younger than I am. (maybe they are like us and always guess younger to be safe). Anyways I go with the flow and take what I got.

• Like 1

Well I had a small bald spot in the back of my head a few years back. Instead of combovers, I embraced my baldness and went for a brush cut on the sides and shaved the top of my head, looks far better IMHO.

I'm much more comfortable now with a brush cut and bald on the top.

I accept who I am instead of trying to fight it

RG

Salt & pepper hair is a sign of experience and wisdom :) I think it's sexy, personally. Even pure grey or white can be sexy on a man who wears it with confidence. A confident man will accept all aspects of the aging process with pride and make it look graceful. I have always liked older men though, so that's just my opinion, but I know I am not the only one who feels this way. :)

Embrace it! :biggrin:

• Like 5

Salt & pepper hair is a sign of experience and wisdom :) I think it's sexy, personally. Even pure grey or white can be sexy on a man who wears it with confidence. A confident man will accept all aspects of the aging process with pride and make it look graceful. I have always liked older men though, so that's just my opinion, but I know I am not the only one who feels this way. :)

Embrace it! :biggrin:

You are so correct Ms. Emily J... Once you accept that you are aging, it becomes easier to manage and even seems to slow down a little. I fought the process for awhile and lost! I've lived hard and played hard and I have earned my gray hair! Perhaps a little bit of a badge of honour. I'd shave my head but I'd look like a Cabbage Patch doll! Tried it once and it simply didn't work with the shape of my melon!

• Like 1

I'm afraid if I shaved my head, my balls would grow bigger (don't ask me why).

If the pills grew bigger, they would droop out of my shorts. I'd either have to dye or shave my nut sack just to look well groomed...it's a vicious cycle dudes!

BTW - what kind of wax would you use to polish the boys?

Well, I think i'm at least a few years away before i'm allowed to have a mid-life crisis. However, I did start finding grey hairs in my late teens. I must admit It freaked me out at first, but I eventually shrugged and figured there was tons of other ridiculous, inconsequential stuff I never worry about, so why would grey hair be a special case :P

Well the cool thing these days is for guys to be completely bald. In my day a guy didnt look that good if he was bald. I still have a full head of grey hair but ya know one day I may shave it all and grow a goatee. That's the cool look now.

• Like 1

Do you think guys should try to continue to push back the cruel hand of time or just suck it up and just keep it au naturale. I still got hair, but the forehead seems to have gotten bigger. Anyone got any suggestions?

Signed,Dye-job

Nope. Be yourself. Don't dye your hair. Keep it au naturale .....or buzz that stuff fuzzy stuff off there and be Mr Clean. Low maintenance IMO.... The chicks will either dig it or run away like school girls waving their arms ....

As far as the bigger forehead Jabba....quit running into walls and stuff.

That opinion help ? ;)

• Like 1

I started losing my hair, just like my dad, in my mid-20s. I've also had a beard since I was a sophomore in high school, probably to prove that I can grow hair ... just not on top of my head. :D

I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. My beard, which I always keep closely trimmed, is now very much salt & pepper, but my hair remains black. I've never worried about going bald one bit, because the more hair I lose, the more head I get. (Badum-TAH ... thank you, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.) :lol:

I won't ever color my hair, nor will I be a client of Hair Club for Men. It's who I am and if that's good enough for me, it's just going to have to be good enough for everybody else.

This seems to be one area where men tend to have an advantage over women. We seem a little more sanguine about aging and are less likely to take extraordinary measures to avoid it. Obviously not universally true but on the whole, women generally seem to be less comfortable with just letting nature take its course.

Either that or we're

. ;-)

If you're losing you hair, just go bald! Or at least really short. I was eighteen when I started losing my hair so one day I bought a trimmer and a Mach 3 razor and I went to town! That was thirteen years ago and I've never looked back!

• Like 3

Well I'm only in my mid thirties so the silver has just recently started coming into my hair and beard. No way in hell am I ever dying it. I'm lucky enough with my family genes that I'll always have a full head of hair....and I currently have it long, down to about the middle of my back. (y'all can start calling me a long haired girly man...I'm cool with that :p) My point being is that I'm totally looking forward to my long silver mane! I'll be beating the soccer moms off with a stick! :D

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat
I'll be beating the soccer moms off with a stick! :D

Posted via Mobile Device

As long as they're not beating you off.............that is totally frowned upon at the soccer field.

As long as they're not beating you off.............that is totally frowned upon at the soccer field.

It's only frowned upon if said soccer mom and I get caught! ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest realnicehat
It's only frowned upon if said soccer mom and I get caught! ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

So you'll tint your windows but not your hair.......well played.

Well, definitely balding. Not going to worry too much about it. I keep my hair cut reasonably short, unlike when I was younger and it was very long.

I've had a neatly trimmed beard for going on 30+ years. I grew it in undergrad and kept it. Very few people outside family and high school friends have ever seen me without a beard. Certainly none of my current friends. Not even my wife. Over the past several years it's slowly turning silver-gray. Several people have suggested I shave it off to look younger, but to be honest I'm hesitant. I like the gray, but I also have a hard time imagining myself without it. It's now just part of my identity. I think I'll keep it.