Should A Girl Have An Intelligence Limit For A Guy

So I was talking to one of my best friends the other day.. she has a PHD in some stuff I dn't care much about so she figured we are all morons to her. lol...

She's into that Brain Surgeon/Rocket Scientist type. Like with actual Intelligence and stuff. ANYWAY! She was curious about dating a guy with slightly above average to average intelligence...so, I told her it's more about being able to hold a conversation with him, for me personally it's not about building a rocket out of household appliances that's capable of making it to the moon, or curing aids with the mold growing on your cheese in the refrigerator. I like guys who have a few brain cells to spare, so if you're that type of guy, I'm going to be attracted to that. 2 guys can have the same IQ, but have a different ability to carry on a conversation that goes beyond Hockey and micro brews. She wasn't with it though,

How about you?

IQ per itself doesn't not define intelligence...my own IQ is 118, which while it's a bit over average, I have the most herp derp moments someone can imagine.

But I like intelligent people that can hold a conversation...I can talk about micro brewery, but not about hockey.

I can tell you a lot about 14 century France but not exactly the current politics of all the Middle East

Guest realnicehat

I think we set all sorts of limits for our potential partners, intelligence level is just one of them. Just look at the online dating sites. They ask you to choose preferred levels of physical attributes, education, income level etc.

Although, she may be limiting her dating pool by focusing on only guys with all the letters behind their names. There are a lot of highly intelligent people out there who pursued different interests rather than 15 years of post secondary education.

But if she is content to date the doctorates why try to convince her otherwise? When it comes down to it we are all just looking for someone who "gets" us. If she feels that she relates to those men better then it seems like a logical starting point.

I do kind of feel like people who have a similar intelligence level would be well suited as a couple. That being said I had a fantastic long term relationship in which I was far smarter than she was. I''m not bragging, it was pretty obvious to everyone. She was blonde, gorgeous (people would stop us on the street!), affectionate, made me laugh every day, and never wanted to leave my side but she literally couldn't spell her own name. Still, I'll never regret all those hours I spent throwing her tennis ball or rubbing her belly ;)

Sometimes super intelligent people (ie Mensa Top Of The Class LOL) may be really intellectually gifted, a genius, but they can't fit into for lack of a better word, the regular world...sort of a square peg in a round hole.

Back when I was in university a prof of mine was talking about a friend of his (they got along I guess because they were both geniuses) He said his friend, also a prof was really intellectual, but had problems functioning in day to day society, for example taking a bus (OC Transpo a struggle) He just saw the world differently I guess

But to answer the question, if a lady is comfortable with a guy interpersonally isn't that all that matters. I know some ladies with degrees who are in relationships with guys who are in blue collar jobs.

And some of the smartest, ok not academically but common sense wise are people who in one case has high school, the other didn't even finish school. And no one should worry about what anyone else thinks, as long as you are happy and the guy is happy too

And the most important thing isn't how smart you are, but are you a good person, and that transcends intelligence.

Don't know if that is an answer or not

But for the slower of us here, a picture

Coffee%20Mug%20-%20Far%20Side%20Rocket%20Scientists.jpg

RG

• Like 2

In general what I have found is the more intelligent the person, the less I have in common with them, higher strung and less fun. Again, this is what I have noticed.

My SO's father is a retired nuclear physicist who's favourite show is Bugs Bunny.

I can talk to him all day without feeling dumb.

My boss has his masters degree in mechanical engineering and he bores me to death on a regular basis.

Being highly intelligent doesn't make you personable or interesting.

• Like 3

One thing to consider is that there are many different types of intelligence. When we say intelligent we usually think of good at school or puzzles, but there are others such as musical or visual.

I suspect that a lot of SP would probably rate as gifted in interpersonal intelligence (i.e. dealing with people).

• Like 2

I agree that there are a lot of different forms of intelligence. I am a great trivia player for example, and a lot of people attribute that as intelligence. In my mind I just have a good memory for minutiae and a fast recall system.

In terms of intellect I have the most admiration for folks who have what we refer to as common sense, and a pragmatic outlook.

Guest webothscore

Geez, I keep responding to Secret's threads tonight, all with initial lightheartedness followed by seriousness. So here goes, my marks in university were more than acceptable, but now the brain I like to show is one where I pull the bottom of my sack all the way up, scrunching all my man parts, forming a brain :) almost all men have done that. If they say they haven't, they are not being truthful, but seriously, I don't believe in opposites attract, rather, the closer the personalities and intelligence, the better.

Edited by webothscore

I am wondering if she is more responding to ambition and pursuit of interest more than intelligence. It doesn't always take a high IQ to do well in school, but it does take drive, ambition and interest to keep doing it long enough to get some letters after your name. She may also be attracted to high school drop outs who are highly successful entrepreneurs. The point is more that she likes a guy who has interests and ambitions beyond beer and hockey, and is working on achieving those goals.

I test well on IQ tests, but lack the ambition to stay in university to the PHd point, but also lacked the desire to write papers, do research, make the reports look the way people want them to look. Sometimes creative people also have trouble focusing on these kinds of things as well, not that they can't do it, more that they don't want to do it, and would rather spend their time doing other things.

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

my IQ is about 148 or so...genius by measure. The local mensa folks have been bugging me to join but I have to say I would way rather spend the day talking to some old farmer or veteran or basically anyone with something actually interesting to say than some who feels that because they are a "genius" everything they say should seem interesting.

genius doesn't mean much, IQ means nothing, and functional intelligence does not trump a personality...ever.

I could sign my name, Notch Johnson Phd(Pretty Huge Dick) but I do not want to make myself feel superior to anyone else. All kidding apart I can't talk to people that have or think they have more brain then the average joe, it's like their sh!t don't stink.

• Like 2

Guest realnicehat
my IQ is about 148 or so...genius by measure. The local mensa folks have been bugging me to join but I have to say I would way rather spend the day talking to some old farmer or veteran or basically anyone with something actually interesting to say than some who feels that because they are a "genius" everything they say should seem interesting.

genius doesn't mean much, IQ means nothing, and functional intelligence does not trump a personality...ever.

Dude, you started a massage business targeting female service providers as your client base. We already knew you were a genius :)