Razor bumps or STI?

Guest *Ste***cque**

It seems lot's of guys like to manscape but how do you prevent razor bumps caused from shaving down there? I've postponed seeing an SP in the past if I get razor bumps simply to avoid any uncomfortable situations. Sure, I could say "Oh these, they're just razor bumps. What, you think it's genital warts? That's crazy, I don't have any STI's. Here's a letter explaining the difference." :) Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, or in this case a genital wart out of a razor bump but wouldn't you be concerned if you saw what you thought could be a potential STI on a client? How would you handle that. My way is to avoid seeing an SP until the bump goes away. Btw, they are razor bumps as I have been tested and received a clean bill of health.

I use an electric beard trimmer now and never use an actual razor. It's easier on the skin and you won't get the razor burn. More comfortable I find as well. If you're still looking for the completely hairless approach, waxing might be the way to go. There's a few providers who offer grooming as well so you could turn it into an adventure!

Guest **cely***r***ne

Razor burn is just hair follicles getting infected with bacteria, which then causes redness and inflammation of the shaved area...But it can be prevented and fixed!

Here are some tips from what I do to stop the burn! (I am too chicken to get waxed..no thank you)

Prevention:

Before showering, apply a hot cloth to the area, hold it there while your fixing the temp. of your shower water. Then rub in a moisturizing lotion/oil to the area you wish to shave. Razor bumps are often caused from dry skin and shaving irritates this. Use a moisturizing shaving cream infused with aloe and vitamin E. Always use a new and sharp razor. Do not use the same one you shaved your face with! After showering in warm water rinse the shaved area in COLD water!! Sorry, but it does help.

After shaving

MOISTURIZE!!

I use Tea tree oil, or witch hazel on my bikini area

Witch hazel has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and astringent properties, which help calm irritated and inflamed skin. Pour some witch hazel hydrosol on a cotton pad and wipe it over razor bumps.

Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it can also be very useful in preventing and treating razor bumps and infections.

Try it out! It will work!

xo

Edited by **cely***r***ne
spelling

Guest realnicehat

Excellent tips from Penelope. I wish I'd known them the first time I decided to shave the nether regions.

I did buy a good moisturizing shave gel and a brand new razor but I made some pretty big mistakes. I shaved the whole area, from belt line to balls. When I was done it still felt kind of stubbly so I lathered up and did it again, this time in the opposite direction (against the grain). Still it seemed stubbly so I went up, down, sideways, diagonally, parallel to the pecker until I was smooth as could be. But a day later...stubble trouble. I went at in again. The whole area seemed a little sensitive but the stubble was gone so I was happy.

The next day I noticed a few raised bumps but I didn't think much of it. The day after that there were more still, with the first ones turning sore and red. The next two weeks were pure hell! I had numerous (ie 30ish) ingrown hairs. Some down deep so they were just red and sore. Others became infected, raising pus filled white heads (not what you want to see down there!). As old ones healed new ones developed. Some that I'd foolishly plucked came back ingrown a second time. Wearing underwear hurt. Pants were worse. It was a good 2 weeks before things died down and a month before all the redness was gone. No lady would have seem me during this period. It looked like I had genital warts, herpes, leprosy, and possibly a gun shot wound! (yes, I've been tested. I had none of those things. Well, there currently is no accurate blood test for gun shot wounds but new research looks promising.)

Now I just use a good trimmer in the pubic area and a brand new razor on the boys. I haven't had a problem since. If you must shave I'll add this one further tip. Shave with the grain and only go over the area once. ONCE! Shaving against the grain makes it easier for the skin to grow over the remaining bit of hair and multiple passes irritates the hell out of the skin.

Learn from my pain......also, stop laughing. Assholes. ;)

Edited by realnicehat

I have very sensitive skin, so I am very prone to razor burn. Penelope Davis gives great advice! I have recently began to moisturize right afterwards, always use a new blade if shaving and I have been using Fucidin. Fucidin is a perscription but it helps to reduce the redness and inflamation..If at home remedies don't work I would ask for Fucidin, its worked wonders for me :)

Guest *Ste***cque**

Funny post, RNH. It was a good cautionary tale though! Maybe we should make it a sticky? :) I suppose a Real man would probably use a machete to trim down there but we guys no longer need to prove anything anymore, do we? Besides, when I apply tea tree oil to my package I can try and do it in the most manly way I can think of.

I may do the same drill for my neck as I get them there too. Thanks for the info! The tips were quite helpful.

Guest realnicehat
when I apply tea tree oil to my package I can try and do it in the most manly way I can think of.

25714.jpg or 164.jpg or Paul-Gascoigne-Football_71255.jpg

All pretty manly...... ;)

Yep, I'm big on keeping that whole area as clean and smooth as possible. My advice:

- soak the region well with soap and water during a nice, long shower beforehand

- then apply plenty of shaving gel/foam to the "work area", and let it sit there for a few minutes so everything gets nicely moistened and lubricated. It, uh, doesn't hurt to manipulate the whole area and gently rub the foam against the skin to, uh, you know, help the process along. Ahem.

- Then use a good, sharp razor for the shaving part. This ensures you don't end up tugging and tearing the coarse hair and stressing your follicles. I hardly need to say: don't rush. Be thorough, and enjoy the process and exploring one of your favourite landscapes up close.

- Rinse and then apply moisturizer afterward (for as long and, uh, vigorously as you "need" to...) to the whole shaved area to soothe any stressed skin.

That's my routine and it's never given me any problems. If I skip steps (other than the fun ones), I end up with a rash, soreness, or worse. :/

• Like 2

Guest webothscore

Thanks a lot Phaedrus. My nuts won't stop moving on their own out of fear. While I trust Penelope, I still use the closest trimmer because I am not into having my nuts turned into lollipops. It's more important to me that the whole area looks well maintained.

As others have said, razor bumps will always be red. The best way to combat this is to buy a product called "Bikini Zone" that you can buy at Shopper's Drug Mart. Okay, I know what you're thinking...as if.. to buy a chick product but it does work. And using hair conditioner while shaving also helps preventing the red bumps.

Not to sound gross but sometimes it's possible to get ingrown hairs when shaving down there and with ingrown hairs, there will always be a whitehead in the middle that ends up popping like a pimple with white stuff that comes out. It hurts like an SOB if you pop it but once the stuff from the inside is gone, the redness and inflammation will go down.

• Like 1

Guest webothscore
As others have said, razor bumps will always be red. The best way to combat this is to buy a product called "Bikini Zone". Okay, I know what you're thinking...as if.. to buy a chick product but it does work. And using hair conditioner while shaving also helps preventing the red bumps.

Not to sound gross but sometimes it's possible to get ingrown hairs when shaving down there and with ingrown hairs, there will always be a whitehead in the middle that ends up popping like a pimple with white stuff that comes out. It hurts like an SOB if you pop it but once it's gone, the redness and inflammation will go down.

While I have never had that issue, I would think you would be right. I realize you are speaking generally. If it's anything like shaving a face, I guess here and there, irritation might occur. I am lucky with mostly clear skin. I guess for now, I'll stick with trimming close. One day I might try the bald eggies, and if I do, I shall put faith in Penelope and yourself. Okay, back to the OP's comparison and analysis...

I have very sensitive skin and am prone to ingrowns and razor burn, even if I use a new razor. My best kept beauty secret is Coconut Oil - literally solves EVERYTHING. I use it as an after-tan lotion, moisturizer for my face, to treat razor burn (instantaneously soothes the burn), and I have not had an appearance of even ONE ingrown since I started using it. AND it smells awesome. AND it's natural and anti-bacterial.

...BEST THING EVER.

• Like 3

I have read that the multi blade razors( like Fusion) are not the best to use because they shave so close it results in more ingrown hairs. If anyone has done a comparison of different brands I would be interested to know which razor you prefer.

Razor bumps ARE an sti. Pointless to separate the two. Not purely a razor phenomenon either. Can still get a folliculitis as the hair re emerges growing back out too.

You can avoid razor burn altogether by just doing a super short trim with electric razors. If you absolutely have to be pure bald eagle add some bikini neat or nair. Still gotta trim first to debulk the hair. It's pretty soft and the hair doesn't tend to be as prickly growing back in.

Additional Comments:

As others have said, razor bumps will always be red. The best way to combat this is to buy a product called "Bikini Zone" that you can buy at Shopper's Drug Mart. Okay, I know what you're thinking...as if.. to buy a chick product but it does work. And using hair conditioner while shaving also helps preventing the red bumps.

Not to sound gross but sometimes it's possible to get ingrown hairs when shaving down there and with ingrown hairs, there will always be a whitehead in the middle that ends up popping like a pimple with white stuff that comes out. It hurts like an SOB if you pop it but once the stuff from the inside is gone, the redness and inflammation will go down.

You are quite right, except that I don't give a rats ass what the clerk at shoppers thinks of my purchase. It's still better than buying tampons.

You don't have to '' pop'' those though. You can shrink them with alcohol or saline compresses, but lancing is superior to squeezing and hurts alot less. Try a tiny superficial flick with a sterile point of some description.