Is anyone else here following the end of the tv series Breaking Bad as closely as I am? The fifth and final season ends in three weeks, and I've found it absolutely gripping.

I discovered the show late (in the middle of season 3 as I recall), but have watched it religously ever since. I think it's one of the best television shows ever written, brilliantly conceived and executed; truly grown-up, smart, literary-level drama. It's in a special class with just a few other shows like The Wire and Deadwood.

Sunday nights are absolutely sacrosanct in my schedule for the next three weeks as the show draws to its conclusion.

Anyone else watching?

• Like 2

I am. This show, then followed by The Newsroom, have turned Sunday evenings into my first ever tv-marathon in my life.

The only thing I don't like about the show is the Lydia character... but otherwise, it's perfect. It's part of what makes television worth watching.

• Like 1

Yeah, Lydia is kind of weird. Neurotic. It was so cute to see Todd's affection/lust for her in the last episode.

It's jarring to see the Scottish actress who plays her speaking with her natural accent (see 0:47):

Inside Tohajiilee

"He actually fancies Lydia! Gosh... you'd have to be really messed up to fancy Lydia!"

been watching breaking bad from the beginning . all i gotta say about it , if there is anything but a bad ending for walt , the whole series will have been a waste .

I'm in Salt Lake to see my grandson, so the PVR is a must. I'll have lots to catch up with BD and a number of other show when I get back.

Guest realnicehat

Sadly, it's the best thing on TV and it's almost over :(

I've always loved the vague foreshadowing (pink bunny in the pool, Walt breaking in to his deserted house for the ricin) at the start of the season that always has you guessing.

Can't wait to see how it turns out although I won't see it until Monday after I download it.

I currently have a Monday marathon of Hell on Wheels, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Ray Donovan and now Boardwalk Empire again.

Guest Ot**w***og****n

I've watched the first four seasons of Breaking Bad on DVD so I'm waiting for the complete final season to come out on DVD and I'll watch it then. I've really enjoyed the entire series as I have with Sons of Anarchy of which I watched five seasons on DVD. It's great to not have to watch commercials too.

Guest **l****uz

I've been watching religiously these last two seasons...I really wasn't interested until I downloaded the first three seasons and was immediately hooked!!

Did anyone hear about the company that made the Breaking Bad lego replica in the UK?? Apparently, LEGO put out a statement that it had nothing to do with it...see the link below:

http://www.businessinsider.com/breaking-bad-meth-lab-toy-set-2013-9

Can you imagine this being bought for and played with by children??

I have tried to watch this show for the first 8 episodes and found it rather slow. Someone please tell me it gets better from there! I found the Walter character to be pretty mentally draining after watching it. If I could get into it like Sons of Anarchy, that would be awesome.

I have tried to watch this show for the first 8 episodes and found it rather slow. Someone please tell me it gets better from there!

I think most people find it got better and and better with each season, though I have to say I personally found it pretty compelling right from the start. That first season took its time but also had some high points: Walter's dilemma about killing Crazy 8, and the "this isn't meth" scene to gain the upper hand with Tuco.

The show charts Walter's descent as he gets drawn deeper and deeper into a high-stakes, violent, and complicated enterprise while battling his own ego and thirst for power after a largely powerless life. It does take its time so that each step in that progression makes believable sense, and to examine the effect on Walter and the people around him. I guess you have to enjoy watching those character moments, and Walter's steady distortion away from where he started, for the show to really seize you.

• Like 4

Guest Ot**w***og****n
I have tried to watch this show for the first 8 episodes and found it rather slow. Someone please tell me it gets better from there! I found the Walter character to be pretty mentally draining after watching it. If I could get into it like Sons of Anarchy, that would be awesome.

I too found this to be the case but be assured the drain of getting through the first season is well worth it. You'll be hooked on it. Sons of Anarchy is excellent and I've enjoyed the first five seasons immensely....lots of twists and turns in it. Everybody lies so sorting it all out can be a challenge!

Guest *Ste***cque**

I can't wait for the final season of Breaking Bad to come out on DVD. That's how I watched the previous seasons and it is clearly one of my favorites of all time. I would give it another try, Nic.

I have been thinking about watching Son's of Anarchy if it's as good as they say. Something to watch after BB is gone. I suppose I could always re-watch The Wire, it was that good.

I've watched BB from minute one and put it in the same league as The Wire and The Shield. I'm glad they decided not to overstay their welcome and have been able to keep the quality at a high level as we seen with the brutal last season of Dexter there's a limit to story line.

I look quite a bit like Heisenberg not Walt their looks are quite different. I received a Bailey's black pork-pie hat a couple of years ago as a gift and at first it attracted some attention. Folks new I look familiar but weren't sure why. The final countdown will be fun!!

Peace

MG

The best news I have heard this week is that they are doing a spin off prequel of the series "Better Call Saul!" based on Bob Odenkirk's lawyer character Saul Goodman. This has a ton of potential, but probably not as dark. Maybe that will bring Mike back from the dead.

• Like 1

The best news I have heard this week is that they are doing a spin off prequel of the series "Better Call Saul!" based on Bob Odenkirk's lawyer character Saul Goodman. This has a ton of potential, but probably not as dark. Maybe that will bring Mike back from the dead.

I agree. Bill Odenkirk is a very funny guy AND a respectable actor; he's done the tough job of keeping Saul amusing but not cartoonish. And notice how much more serious he's playing Saul now that things are getting so dicey and he's genuinely afraid.

(My favourite Saul moment was the negotiation when buying the house from Jesse's parents, taking complete control of the situation after they'd dismissed him out of hand as a two-bit ambulance-chaser. "What do you say, counsellor... do you concur?")

I see they're billing the start of the series, at least, as a prequel to Breaking Bad... so this talk of a spin-off doesn't absolutely guarantee that Saul survives the three more weeks to the BB finale. ;)

I LOVE Jesse! lol

The mask they made for Brian Cranston to play Walt is amazing..I didn't know it was a mask until I watched an interview.

I know the ask you mean! It was a one-time-only thing that Bryan Cranston wore for a bit at ComiCon. Someone manufactures them (they cost thousands of dollars each), and Cranston (who had regrown his hair by then) put one on and walked around the convention floor.

People were getting their pictures taken with a guy whose mask made him look "just like Walter White!", not realizing it was Bryan Cranston himself under the mask. :)

It really was spooky-effective, for a mask.

Cranston discusses this with David Letterman (around 6:00)

Even better, Jimmy Fallon does a whole Breaking Bad spoof here:

... watch for especially brilliant guest appearances around 9:45.

Is there a way that Skylar can be killed off... somehow????? (and not JUST because she reminds me A LOT of the ex wife....)

• Like 1

Is there a way that Skylar can be killed off... somehow????? (and not JUST because she reminds me A LOT of the ex wife....)

Old Dog is a national treasure, but I can't agree with him here. The character Skyler is, it seems to me, the only possible wife for Walt - who else could take his BS and keep standing? Cranston has the most impossible acting job on television, but Anna Gunn has the second and she crushes it.

That said, I'm glad I'm not married to Skyler :)

Edited by snapper
Duplicate post

I thought last weeks episode was the last. I'm glad I was wrong. That would have been a Soprano's ending.

Episode 14 was great, a perfect ending.

Thanks for the ride BB.

Guest realnicehat
I thought last weeks episode was the last. I'm glad I was wrong. That would have been a Soprano's ending.

Episode 14 was great, a perfect ending.

Thanks for the ride BB.

Um....you know there's two more episodes right?

Yup, last night's episode was possibly the best hour of television I've ever seen -- for writing, cinematography, and of course acting.

In Walt's phone call toward the end of the episode, he has to say hateful things in Skyler's direction that are really intended for the audience he knows is listening in; the whole speech is designed to help position her as innocent, abused wife instead of accomplice. Those minutes should win Cranson the Emmy all by themselves. And Anna Gunn did a great job as Skyler on the other end, realizing what Walt is doing and playing along -- so hopefully she'll be around for what's left of their family, at least.

It's true, the episode could almost have been the series finale. Walt's world has collapsed, everything he'd hoped for is destroyed, and he's completely on his own. He's paying the full price for his own crimes at last.

I'm guessing the last two episodes are about two things: a) getting revenge on the Aryan guys and destroying the organization (including Lydia?), and b) bringing Walt's personal story and most probably his life to an end, hopefully with a bit of redemption while tying up Jesse's final fate.

I usually agree with a lot of other people and prefer to wait 'til I can watch everything at once on disc. But this is one case where I'm happy to see these last hours bit by bit, week by week, reacting and discussing things with others as they happen. It's television I'll remember in 20 years, and how often can you say that?

• Like 3