Accounting: need help please

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I'm in my last year of my business degree. I am having some difficulty with the accounting course though. I understand the concept(s) as far as accounts recievable, cash flow etc. As well as the basics, liabilities and assets, capitial and equity.

However, the charts are bit confusing, and sometimes i can't get it to balance. I'm a visual learner, and my class is heavily computer based, so i'm having a hard time grasping the concepts without a paper and pencil to do each question while its being taught. I'm getting frustrated as I should be able to understand these simple concepts but the method of teaching is screwing me up.

If there's any accountants out there, I'd be willing to trade for tutoring. Please Pm me for details. Thanks!

At some magical point, it will 'click'. The first test/midterm I ever failed in my entire school life was the first of 3 in my first Accounting course at college. bleh. By the final exam I had the highest mark in the class.

Really, some things that seem impossible now, you will get that moment of connecting with it.

So if you learn well with pen and paper, go get it and do it :)

On the computer, i always feel like you can't see the whole picture, with paper and notebook in front of you, you can spread it out and see what is going on.

• Like 1

A trick I learned when its not balancing try doubling the number and look for a post that is the same amount or divide the number in half and do the same. Often its just a matter of posting something on the same side.

Hey, Empty83 is right. His method of doubling or dividing in half is often a very quick way to have that pesky mis-posted entry jump of the page or computer screen particularly when you have a number of entries to go through.

I'm not in Ottawa right now to help you in person but I'll offer any help I can via distance to help clear things up free of charge. Feel free to PM me if you like and I'll give you my email.

Oh BTW...... I know that you mentioned trading services but I know there are lots of accounting tutors in Ottawa that will charge you MUCH less than your services are worth. You'll be better off to go that route IMO. Any tutor that's any good in a 1 on 1 session should be able to help you see things more clearly in 3 hours at maybe 40ish$ an hour.

Edited by nlwoodchuck
  • Like 3

Oh BTW...... I know that you mentioned trading services but In know there are lots of accounting tutors in Ottawa that will charge you MUCH less than your services are worth. You'll be better off to go that route IMO. Any tutor that's any good in a 1 on 1 session should be able to help you see things more clearly in 3 hours at maybe 40ish$ an hour.

I agree - thanks!