Interesting/awesome pictures

national_geographic_photo_contest_08_mini.jpg

An unexpected side-effect of the 2010 flooding in parts of Sindh, Pakistan, was that millions of spiders climbed up into the trees to escape the rising flood waters; because of the scale of the flooding and the fact that the water took so long to recede, many trees became cocooned in spiders webs. People in the area had never seen this phenomenon before, but they also reported that there were less mosquitos than they would have expected, given the amount of standing water that was left. Not being bitten by mosquitoes was one small blessing for people that had lost everything in the floods.

Additional Comments:

IMG_1728.JPG?v=97520112116

Many people pilgrimage to Uluru, but what is seen there often depends on where you've come from.

45-National-Geographic-Photos-Call-for-Contribute-Contest-2011-28.jpg

One morning while on the Big Island of Hawaii, I was exploring my surroundings to see if I could find something to photograph. I almost went back inside when something on this huge palm tree leaf caught my eye. I stayed around and it was this little gecko, startled by my presence he was hidden between the ridges of the leaf. He would pop his head up periodically to check his surroundings; as soon as he saw I was still there he would hide again. We played this game for a while until I got the shot. (© Lorenzo Menendez

• Like 2

1798553_649292625124455_1610516454_n.jpg

Rhizostoma pulmo, commonly known as the barrel jellyfish or the dustbin-lid jellyfish.

1622668_649290301791354_974825513_n.jpg

An 'Inari Fox' Art by Santani, inspired by GREMLINS

1779312_649284771791907_1692689518_n.jpg

Akhal-Teke, from Turkmenistan, is the most beautiful horse in the world!

• Like 3

Petrified Sand dunes on the border of Utah and Arizona

u4yjemu9.jpg

Coconut Crab the largest living arthropod in the world.

uveragyr.jpg

• Like 4