Windows 8.1 released by Microsoft

Guest S*rca****sid

I dunno, Microsoft gets its share of detractors, and I suppose I'm one of them. I didn't see the point of getting XP when 98 worked fine for games and whatever else I was using it for. I didn't see the point of Vista when XP worked fine. Now I don't see the point of 8 when 7 works fine. They lost me by focusing on touch screens when I don't have a tablet or a Windows phone and have no interest in getting one. Good on them for trying to win back desktop users, but it's probably too little too late for this release cycle.

I have a touch screen and find the Windows 8 version works well. For me the tiles worked fine, but even using legacy software it was only a touch away. I did the upgrade yesterday and it went without a hitch. I am a believer in keeping current as each successive version becomes more secure and stable.

Recommend running the update assistant first. I had to update a few programs including my internet security software as they were not compatible with Windows 8.1 Had no problem with the update afterwards.

I sincerely hope this 8.1 will smooth things with Win8... ughhh!!

Win8 is driving me nuts with its constant intruding pop-ups and sliding this and that...

XP was good and Win7 was just marvy.... :-)

I had no choice when I got this new HP laptop, Win8 only.. OH it will be like Win7 but even better... boy was I wrong...

I'll stop here... ;-)

XP was good and Win7 was just marvy.... :-)

M$ do seem to alternate between good and bad versions.

95 was good.

98 was bad

XP was good

Vista was bad.

Win7 was good

I haven't tried Win8, but I haven't heard much positive stuff about it.

It'd be nice if they could build on a good release for once, rather than screwing everything up...

I had installed 8.1. Its UI and touch make better sense than 8.0. That's not to say there's no room for more improvements. Kudos to MSFT.

M$ do seem to alternate between good and bad versions.

95 was good.

98 was bad

XP was good

Vista was bad.

Win7 was good

I haven't tried Win8, but I haven't heard much positive stuff about it.

It'd be nice if they could build on a good release for once, rather than screwing everything up...

You forgot Windows Me (millennium edition) which was really bad.

I've been using Windows 8 for about a year and am happy with it. To the average user it is Windows 7 with some bells & whistles, and most glaring, the start screen instead of a start button.

The biggest problem people have with Windows 8 isn't software or device compatibility, but just that it is different. All software I've tried to date has worked flawlessly on Windows 8.

When Windows 95 came out, everyone hated it -- Windows 3.1 was so much better.

Everyone got used to the differences and grew to love it.

When Windows XP came out, everyone hated it -- Windows 98 was so much better.

Windows Vista's biggest issue was that it changed the security paradigm making it harder for the bad guys to do nasty things to your system. The changes caused poorly written, rule breaking & buggy non-Microsoft software to fail, and many software developers just pointed the finger at Vista instead of accepting responsibility, and people bought their BS.

When Windows 7 came out, almost all the bad software (non-Microsoft) had been fixed, but a lot of people still didn't like it -- Windows XP was so much better.

Windows 8 suffered the same problem -- being different and requiring people to learn new ways of doing some things.

Sadly, many people don't like to learn new ways to do things -- anything different is bad.

But how do you improve things for people without changing anything?!

Guest f***nds4f**

I totally agree with qwerty. People hate change. XP has horrible security problem. Windows 8 has better start button feature which people hate.

Windows 8's default Web browser, Internet Explorer 10, was rated best in a recent test by NSS Labs, detecting and blocking over 99 percent of malicious downloads without any help from a third-party antivirus program. This compared with 70.4 percent for Google Chrome, which uses the same Safe Browsing API as Firefox. Opera and Safari only managed to block about 4 percent of the malicious downloads.

Windows 8 started up more than twice as fast as Windows 7. In a comparison with Mac OS X Mountain Lion, running in Boot Camp on a MacBook, Windows 8 even started up faster than Apple's latest desktop operating system. And it's not just startup time: Windows 8 ran several benchmark performance tests quicker than either Windows 7 or Mountain Lion. Microsoft has clearly put work into improving performance in Windows 8.

I have Windows 8 on my desktop, but windows 7 on my laptop. I hated Windows 8 at first, and still am not thrilled. But essentially, I just made sure the desktop was one of the tiles on the start screen. One click and I'm in the desktop which looks pretty much like windows 7, except minus the much loved start button. But really, it isn't that hard to figure out how to turn the computer off. So once you do that work around, you really have windows 7 with a fancy new overlay, which i ignore and don't bother with.

Guest f***nds4f**

If you still like the start menu in windows 7, you can download classic shell (it is free).