Favourite movies to marathon

With the arrival of the cold weather, it's time to come up with activities for curling up on your couch with a blanket and a big bowl of popcorn

This doesn't necessarily mean favourite trilogies or series - but what films do you like to marathon watch, all in a row?

Mine would be Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

The Matrix trilogy (Seriously, if you haven't watched them all in a row, DO IT. It's flawless, it's like one continuous film)

That's all I can think of right meow, any suggestions?

I lovelovelove trilogies like Back to the Future, or Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Before Midnight, but with both of those sets each film stands on it's own just as well as the rest, and you can watch each one without a feeling of missing something from not watching all of the films.

• Like 1

Oh, The Back to the Future ones are a good suggestion!

Which series I'd be tempted to grab depends on what I'm in the mood for:

Some fun action - Indiana Jones! (actually, there's never a wrong time for Indy).

Silly humour - break out some Austin Powers

Witty dialogue - throw on a few Quentin Tarantino flicks.

Classic action - How about either the Lethal Weapon series or The Man With No Name (I can't say I'm much of a fan of either Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood as people, but damn if they aren't fun actors to watch!)

Horror - Paranormal Activity or Evil Dead

Fantasy - Gotta pick Lord of the Rings for a series, but I'd be more likely to just grab a combo of classics: Princess Bride, Willow, Labyrinth, etc.

I can't say I actually marathon movies very much through. Rarely have the time for more than one. I do find I've been playing catch-up on a lot of television series, and will binge watch my way through a season to catch up.

Well lets see

James Bond (Sean Connery) series

James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) series

James Bond (Daniel Craig) series

Dirty Harry/Magnum Force/The Enforcer(I haven't forgotten Sudden Impact or The Dead Pool, just wish I could LOL)

Band of Brothers miniseries

A few

RG

• Like 1

I'm just about ready to watch the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy again.

The early James Bond films are fun to watch in series, too. So strange to watch "Dr. No" and see Sean Connery jetting about in 1962... It's just 50 years ago yet the world is barely recognizable. Not just the technology (which is enormous) but people wearing suits... and hats.

DN_108.jpg

• Like 1

Jeez while talking about James Bond, I forgot the other JB (Jason Bourne) and the trilogy of movies that came out

The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum

RG

I would definitely have to say the Back to the Future trilogy, but if I was to keep in the spirit of Halloween it would have to be Friday the 13th or the Child's Play franchise.

How could I have not mentioned the TERMINATOR movies?! This is probably the last series I marathon watched. Except the third one. I can do without that.

Terminator 2 may have been my favourite movie growing up... I had a MAD crush on Eddie Furlong as John Connor, and I just might have watched the movie so many times I knew the script by heart. Oh and I had all the collector cards in the collector album. Yep, I'm cool like that.

Some of mine:

Lord of the Ring trilogy (extended versions)

The Godfather series

the Austin Powers

Airplane 1 and 2

Mel Brooks movies

perfect for this week (hehe):

The Evil Dead series

the Hammer films (wonderful "B" horror films)

Great choices so far, I'd like to add:

• James Bond (Roger Moore)
  • Porky's (1 to 3)
  • American Pie (1, 2, Wedding, Reunion)
  • Revenge of the Nerds (1 to 4)
  • Planet of the Apes (original '70s): [Planet of the Apes, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes]

I've done a few movie marathons...

Star Wars

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

The Bourne Trilogy

Indiana Jones

The Mummy

Tom Clancy's (recently passed away) Jack Ryan series (The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and Sum of All Fears) and Liam Eeeson's Taken I and Taken II work for me.

Guest realnicehat

I tend to do my movie marathon's based on an actor or director rather than a series.

For example:

The Kevin Coster baseball series:

Bull Durham

Field of Dreams

For the Love of the Game

Or the Costner westerns are good too:

Silverado

Dances with Wolves

Wyatt Earp

Open Range

There is nothing like a good Tarantinofest as well:

True Romance

Resevoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill vol 1 & 2

Inglourius Basterds

Django Unchained

Or if I'm in a really goofy mood the Kevin Smith Jay & Silent Bob Series.

My next marathon may be a TV series though. I think it's time to watch so many episodes of Deadwood that I can't finish a sentence without the use of the word "cocksucker"

Additional Comments:

Oh, I forgot the Nicholas Cage mid 90s action trifecta (3 action flicks in 12 months):

The Rock

Con Air

Face/Off "I want to take his face. Off."

Guest *Ste***cque**

Star Trek movie marathon, but I haven't done that for years. My favorite that I watch every few years is the Godfather series. I've watched it so many times I can quote long stretches of dialogue and do a pretty good imitation.

"She was beautiful! She was young. She was innocent. She was the greatest piece of ass I ever had, and I've had 'em all over the world!"

Of course, I could be confusing the Godfather with my CERB life.:)

I have binged on many of the aforementioned titles, but lately I've been marathoning with television and mini series.

Game of Thrones

American Horror Story

Band of Brothers

Rome

Deadwood

Battle Star Galactica

Weeds

Mad Men

Breaking Bad

just to name a few. Jeez, I gotta get a life!

• Like 1

Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels, Snatch and Rock'n Rolla are my all time marathon faves. X-men, Shameless, Dr Who, Angelina's Hackers, Girl Interrupted, Tomb Raiders and Salt. Oceans 11 thru all of them! I also love to fall into TedX series...

cat

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

How about a Coen Brothers Marathon?

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

O' Brother Where Art Thou?

No Country For Old Men

And then you can overcome all the creepy weirdness with creepy hilarity the Farrelly Brothers:

Dumb & Dumber

There's Something About Mary

Me, Myself & Irene

Wait, no one has mentioned the Alien franchise yet? WTF?

I'm doing this one as soon as the last movie is available on video:

Shaun of the Dead

Hot Fuzz

Paul (optional)

The World's End