Remembering those who were lost

My father survived WWII ... but nevertheless this is an incredibly important day to pause and remember.

• Like 2

Remember seeing this, dug it up on the web, and there is a lot of truth to it. Seems appropriate to post on Remembrance Day

It is the Soldier, not the minister

Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter

Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet

Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer

Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer

Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,

Who serves beneath the flag,

And whose coffin is draped by the flag,

Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

• Like 4

Guest ChantalSummers

If it weren't for our fathers and grandfathers fighting in the war, we wouldn't have the freedom we have today. Some of us may not have been born. It's great occasion to be mindful of not only those who fought but also of the wives and nurses during that time who were supportful. Lest we forget. Have a good remembrance day everyone.

My Grandfather fought for our Country in two world wars. He joined when he 14 by lying about his age. He was in many battles that were written in our history books and was awarded many metals for bravery and heroism.

He survived many battles and remembered bullets whizzing by his head and watching his comrades get blown to pieces within a few feet from where he stood. Our family believed he was invincible.

After settling in back home in Nova Scotia, he found himself working in the mines. The only decent jobs available for those times. He ran a crew of 10 men and as they dug deep below the surface, the canary dropped dead. That signified a gas leak and the men had to get out as quickly as possible or they would parish as well. The coal car was stuffed with men and there was no room for one more man. My Grandfather jumped out and told a young worker to get in. He said, send it back down for me after you surface.

The men road up in the coal car but new my Grandfather's chances of being alive after breathing all that gas, was slim to none. They sent the car back on it's way down but the hoist cable snapped. The car plunged into the depths of the mine and it's screaming wheels were a warning that it was totally out of control. My Grandfather was at the end of the mine as the car careened toward him. There was no room to maneuver to get out of the car's way.

Once the gas was cleared, the miners went back down to see if they could save my Grandfather. They found him at the end of the mine, crushed by the coal car.

My family recalls that he always said, "It's not fighting for my country that will be the death of me. It will be something else entirely and it will have little impact on anyone."

He was right about the wars not doing him in but the impact he had by jumping out of the coal car to let a young man get on instead is something that young man will never forget. He thought my Grandfather never knew what he had done for him that day.

He went down the mine shaft once again to be close to where it happened so he could pray for my Grandfather. As he set his light down, it slid on a rock and aimed on a wall of darkness. The young man went closer as he thought he could see something. Etched in the stone he saw a note that said, "David. It has been a privilege to know you. Please do me a favour will you. Say goodbye to my family for me."

The young man's name was David and he did say goodbye for him.

There are a lot of humans on this planet but only a few have the guts and the heart to fight for their country. Even less could give up their own lives to save another. I am so proud to be named after my Grandfather. Even though I never really knew him, I knew he was an honorable man of integrity. I'm happy to have the bloodline of such a heroic man. If it wasn't for him and the soldiers that were with him, we would all be living completely different lives.

I wish to personally thank all the brave men that fought for our freedom. May you all be kings in the plains of your heaven and may all the angels be CERB girls.

• Like 2

My Grandfather fought in the Second World War, and survived returning home with 5 bullet holes

He met my Grandmother overseas as she was a nurse for the army as well

I thank both of them as well as all the brave women and men who fought for our freedom, I remember and thank all those who lost their lives fighting in the war

Today is a Day of Rememberance.....We should all remember and be thankful as well as Grateful for the freedom we have

Lest We Forget

I remember all those whom I've lost under my command, the thousands I've watched loose their lives in The Gulf War, Bosnia 3 times, Croatia twice, Kosovo twice, Afganistan nine times, Iraq twice and Libya. I remember all my friends I've lost in the Afganistan and Iraq wars. They gave everything and asked for nothing in return. It is what soldiers do...we just want to be respected and remembered...we care and protect those who cannot protect themselves...we walk away from those we love, and ask for nothing in return. Remember us and remember those who gave their lives so you and millions of others around the world can be free.

• Like 3