What Did You Want to be When You Grew Up and Is It Anything Close to What You Do Now?

Various dream jobs passed thru my head as a kid like Fire Fighter, Jet Pilot...but the one that seemed to stick which I had throughout my teen years was;

Hotel General Manager.

And it would have to be a major 5 star hotel in a big city like Toyko, London, New York or Paris.

I think I liked the management/leadership of it but also loved the idea of working in the hospitality industry and having stars, politicians, and leading business people staying at 'my place'.

Since as far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a commercial pilot. I took all the right courses in high school, joined the air cadets, and then went to college to get my mechanical engineering degree. While out playing fastball one day, I got the ball smack in the right eye. Now a day, a detached retina is a quick fix but back then, it was a dream killer. Commercial pilots needed 20/20 vision and my eye was unrepairable.

I bounced around for years doing various mundane jobs. I started as a fishing guild one summer and worked there for a couple of months. I got fired for playing around with one of the customers daughters. hehe

Even though I had the education to do basically what I wanted, I chose to be a garbage collector. First starting on the back end of a truck throwing in bags of garbage and graduated to driving them... then the larger front end trucks. That was much more satisfying... and smelled better. hehe

I quit that job to take a 6 month vacation to tour Canada and some Northern states by motorcycle. Best trip of my life.

When I came back, I opted to get into the construction industry. I liked to build things so I learned everything I could. I eventually started my own company and earned my first million in less than a year. Unfortunately, being the trusting person I always was, my two silent partners skipped town with over 20 million and left me holding the bag. Eventually I was bankrupt and destitute.

Since my credit sucked, I had a hard time finding a place to live. I had various on and off again jobs for the next few years but none of them have come close to my original dream. :-(

Now that I'm semi retired, I think I finally found the best job of all. hehe

Guest a**4*

When I was a young lad I always wanted to be a conversation officer protecting our natural resources that would have been a job I would like to do

I wanted only 2 things to be financially secure and be a great Dad. On the financial front I am happy to say that my family has no major concerns. As for being a Dad... i was blessed with two amazing children who have made me look like a way better dad than I think i am.