Perhaps a term that's overused, "nice people/person". He's a nice guy, she's a nice girl, they're nice people. We all know someone we call a nice person, or someone who calls themselves that. But do they deserve that title? Can nice people be selectively nice? I mean, can they do mean or bad things sometimes, say mean or rude things sometimes and still be nice people?

Or, are nice people nice to everyone? Should they be ? If someone is "nice" shouldn't they be expected to always be nice? :icon_confused: What's your opinion?:)

Very overused point of view IMO.

Its all perspective, is it nice to give money to one charity over another? or would a "nice" person divide the donation.

Good people are everywhere, but even the greatest of people have bad days. At that point they would seem to be quite the opposite.

Who are we to label people good/bad/nice/not nice?

I try to be a good person. Mutual respect...be good to me and I'll be good to you. Never hurt somebody unless they ask for it. : )

• Like 2

Guest c**io**m7

Yes, nice people can definitely have their bad days...bad weeks...bad months. After all, even nice people are human.

I kinda think there is elements of good and bad in all of us... we can be Nice one moment and then seen as not so nice by someone else. In my employment I have a fairly large number of people who work for me.... depending on the day and the decision I make I am either Nice or a Prick...perspective plays a large part.

All that said... i have in my 50 plus years met a relatively small number of people who I can only say are truly NICE they are caring... compassionate people who seem to always put the needs of others ahead of their own needs. They are great parents...amazing friends and truly spiritual people..... these are the people who you meet and realize just how lucky you are to have them in your life.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Guest P**aq

Nobody could be nice all the time, otherwise they would combust or something, lol. Someone who can be a saint to many can have a bad day, and when they are having that one bad day, you might run into him or her on the street and think "what an ass" when in fact they are Ghandi or John Lennon in disguise.

I heard that serial killers are often described as being a "nice guy" al la John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy. The thing about people is our fascinating ability to be many things at once, switching from persona to persona smoothly and sometimes unpredictably.

That does not mean we are a population with multiple personality disorder. Rather, it may be more accurate to say that we are not all just one thing. I can be nice. But I'm not nice all the time. In this way I can be a life long hobbyist and a loving husband of thirty years. None of us is just one thing.

• Like 2

The word "nice" is too general to use based on a person's disposition. If someone is considered a "nice person" then there are usually other adjectives used to describe them. It is often synonymous with "kind" or "genuine" as well.

Based on the human ego alone, everyone has an agenda whether it's intentional or not and everyone wants to feel accepted. Yes, people can selectively be nice to a select few and then have a completely different attitude and demeanor towards others.

Some people are nice to others just because they have a good spirit about them who also have healthy boundaries that they set out for themselves. Other individuals are people pleasers/doormats and haven't set certain boundaries for themselves resulting in not so good experiences with people who may take advantage of them. People may view them as "nice".

If you really want to know if someone is "nice" or not, take a look at how they different people in different settings. That should give you an indication. Actions/behaviour speak louder than words. No one is perfect but if you meet someone who does something out of the goodness of their own heart then it's a good sign.

Perhaps a term that's overused, "nice people/person". He's a nice guy, she's a nice girl, they're nice people. We all know someone we call a nice person, or someone who calls themselves that. But do they deserve that title? Can nice people be selectively nice? I mean, can they do mean or bad things sometimes, say mean or rude things sometimes and still be nice people?

Or, are nice people nice to everyone? Should they be ? If someone is "nice" shouldn't they be expected to always be nice? :icon_confused: What's your opinion?:)

• Like 2

I was thinking about this thread yesterday. I met an old boss last night and memories of that job started to rush in. It was my first office job, and it was an experience.

The thing is that I've always hated my old boss. He did a lot of things wrong. The stuff I went through was excessive. I was so happy when he got transferred and I got a new boss. My new boss was amazing, and fun to work for.

But when I actually got thinking about it, my batshit insane boss taught me a lot. We used to disagree a lot with how to proceed with projects, and would rip my ideas to shreds, but I was more determined to prove him that my way was better. With the boss that came after, I can't think of one thing I actually learned. I didn't need to, it was extremely relaxed, I was young, and all I cared for was my shorter hours and more pay.

We tend to sometimes live in a very binary world. It's either one thing or another. No shades of grey. It makes things simpler to deal with people. Going back to 'nice people', the description is thrown out frequently. But so is the opposite - "Oh she's such a bitch, he's a monster, etc".

I think I'm comfortable using the word nice. Sometimes even if someone doesn't exactly embody the word, perhaps being labelled as nice might give them something to aspire to. But a negative label does nothing but create divide.

Nice thread

Edited by piano8950
i sppel rong
  • Like 2