Objectify, or an intelligent ad?

Or neither?

Saw this today, made me think and I was just curious as to what people here thought. Comparing women to objects, or getting the point across well?

maxresdefault.jpg

No poll because I rather not dictate the choices.

Facts are facts and to most men we are objects! Women are lusted after, what's important in the end is that when in their presence you treat them like a person, respectfully, and not like an object. Lets face it sex sells and this ad is like thousands others, doing it's job, like it or not.

• Like 1

This ad is confusing. It is not a good sales pitch because it is not clear. Also, it is just selling the idea of something used. It does not really target a specific brand clearly. The bottom line is that I do not think that this ad works. It helps no one and it may offend some people.

Holy shit.

I did just check before posting though, and thankfully that's not a real ad, just something someone slapped together on their own computer. Aston Martin has nothing to do with it. And "the photo was taken from the January 2012 issue of Playboy Germany, showing dutch Playmate Rosanne Jongenelen."

And no kidding -- that would be the most disgusting ad I've ever seen. I'm cool with innuendo and even evoking the sexual allure of luxury items. But this would have been far beyond the pale.

EDIT: On the other hand, I just found that the slogan was used with a less explicit but still same-themed ad. And I even have trouble with this legit one.

bmw-ad.jpg

• Like 4

I'm with MightyPen on this one (but then, I don't know I've ever disagreed with him).

Using sex to in advertising is certainly not new, but this one goes a little far in my mind. It gets especially problematic when you've got the idea of "ownership" or "used" mixed into it.

Guest c**io**m7
Facts are facts and to most men we are objects! Women are lusted after, what's important in the end is that when in their presence you treat them like a person, respectfully, and not like an object. Lets face it sex sells and this ad is like thousands others, doing it's job, like it or not.

I have to agree. Using sex, whether in your face like this one, or subliminal such as the early 80s Dr Pepper ads with the cartwheeling, pantiless cheerleaders, has been the norm for decades. It is the #1, most effective form of advertising.

As disgusting as this fake ad may be, this type of advertising will never die.

Holy shit indeed. I find both disgusting. And she looks fourteen years old for chri**'s sake.

EDIT: On the other hand, I just found that the slogan was used with a less explicit but still same-themed ad. And I even have trouble with this legit one.

Guest S****r

I don't know...I thought it was kind of clever. Took me a couple of seconds to get it, but.....I certainly can't see it going mainstream, but I thought it a good parallel--that something doesn't have to be "virgin" to be great. I have always had a used car, and have been very happy to not have had the big payments due on a new car!

Guest P*rry

There are a number of blogs about the bogus ad.

I found the "ad" in bad taste.

What first came to my mind when seeing that ad...never mind the girl in the picture for a second here. Pre owned Aston Martins? That's what I found shocking aside from it being a fake ad to begin with! If the ad were real, I never would have thought they'd be pushing that market unless pre owned meant buying a vintage Aston Martin. Then put the model in the mix and yes, it's very tastelessl Companies in Europe seem to get away with racier ads containing sexual innuendos because their attitudes toward sex are far more liberal.

Remember that Fiat commercial with the mother, daughter, father and boyfriend driving and they go under a tunnel and when they are out of the tunnel, it's the mother who ends up in the back seat looking like she just made out with the daughter's bf? That is clever advertising in the Western world and and is not as tasteless or in your face so to speak. Many North Americans are not as open minded and not used to this kind of advertising.

And there you have it.. Imo, the fake Aston Martin ad is a clear, blatant description of comparing a woman to a car. Deja vu? lol. I think that company would never dream of using an ad like that to market their cars.

Edited by Nicolette Vaughn
Wrong word

The fact is sex is used in advertising. It's nothing new. These ads aren't the first offenders, nor will they be the last. And why is sex used in advertising, sex sells

But on a lighter note

RG