Public Consultation on Prostitution-Related Offences in Canada

Reading the comments is SO frustrating. Such ignorance and these are the people influencing the laws the government makes. We don't pay taxes, we're diseased, even if we're in by choice it's because the demons won or because we're poor and destitute or have a drug habit. We're out to desecrate people and relationships, I mean *ARGH*. So frustrating. Let's hope the Supreme Court is still on the ball as I have no faith in the government or the voices being heard over those of sex workers. Would have been nice to see a comment or two from them.

• Like 7

Funny though...listening to Canada AM this morn they said it like this...

" went in favor FOR the prostitutes" well not really!!! Cause having a chance of harassing our clients will obviously force us change our methods, agencies and drive us into the shadows even worse then before:(

• Like 3

Honestly, this whole matter makes me nauseous. I really felt that the laws that we had before were the best compromise, especially considering the ways they were enforced. The most screwed up markets in Canada always seemed to me to be the ones that tried to regulate it through bylaws and licensing.

I also don't see how any of this is going to reduce street prostitution or make street prostitution any safer.

But how lucky for the CPC to have this issue dropped in their laps just in time for the next elections. Great distraction.

Sigh.

• Like 7

The new legislation is being presented this week. Let's wait to see what the new legislation actually IS, before we get ahead of ourselves.

I'll post again when it comes down, along with a brief from our Canadian sex worker rights legal team about what it will actually mean for all of us.

Follow or check out @CDNSWAlliance for all the latest. This is an alliance of all the main sex worker advocacy and rights groups from across the country. You don't need to have a Twitter account to see their tweets or click the links they post.

• Like 2

Well, the survey was... interesting.

They start with an overview of the legal models relating to sex work, but unaccountably omit the one that exists in Canada at the moment.

They consider all responses to be received from Canadian individuals, unless the response self-identifies as being from a foreigner or a group. They make no mention of the possibility of duplicate responses.

I really can't see the point of this. The problems with the survey are so bad as to make it meaningless. It doesn't even look like it's been properly rigged to ensure the "right" answer. I don't honestly think it has any purpose other than its own existence, so that the government can say, "Look! We did a survey!"

With this, I can assume a visit to my business lawyer is in order...

IANAL, but I don't see the point, yet. There's no legislation even officially proposed, never mind far enough through the process that we can really see what it'll look like. And so there's still nothing concrete that your lawyer can give you advice about.

• Like 2

Yes it will take time, I agree...BUT it s also going to take time for me to make my own changes.

I would see my lawyer as I need to understand and prepare to make changes for my business. I am an agency in a very small town, so if they are going through with Nordic model I need to know exactly what "benefiting off others" is going include. Not just the girls who work here that pay me their fee, but also to the person I am paying my rent to. This is not the case for INDY providers, but I strongly feel agency's can become a target for them to watch closely, whereas I am stationary and do not travel it would be much easier for LE to gather info and harass my clients. Granted, they have their hands full with looking at the agency's who cause disturbances, minors etc.

Besides, should it not be expected that I would, as a business owner who have many people depending on the fact I keep myself in the know, to protect the people that surround my business and especially protecting my clients that come and go from my location? It's the whole reason I have a lawyer in the first place.

• Like 2

IANAL, but I don't see the point, yet. There's no legislation even officially proposed, never mind far enough through the process that we can really see what it'll look like. And so there's still nothing concrete that your lawyer can give you advice about.

I must say that, even with the old established laws, I found most lawyers to be totally clueless. Let's see what shakes out, and then find and share the lawyers that actually know what they're doing.

• Like 1