The renovation show - Cerb version (how to from pros and wanna be's)

John Caines hosts a very popular call in radio show dealing with home renovations. I would like to start a thread where cerbies could ask for suggestions and give advice regarding renos, car maintenance,

electronics gardening, etc.... Let's share our hidden knowledge and abilities :)

This is the "how to" thread (how to anything....scrapbooking, stainglassing, photography etc....) so share what you are knowledgeable and passionate about and ask questions about what you want to learn!

• Like 5

I'm not a particularly good hand person so my contribution is simple. Look for the best company / tradesperson with recommendations that can do the work.

If dealing with electrical, plumbing or structural please hire a licensed trade person in that field. Doesn't have to be a licensed company just a certified person so you know he has knowledge and should be competent.

Any one of those things can cause serious damage or even harm someone when not done properly. Which can lead to doubling, tripling your expenses.

• Like 1

Well can't speak about electrical or structural but certain plumbing type issues can be done yourself.

Clearing a drain like in a sink or bathtub. First, go green, don't use draino. Sprinkle baking soda down the drain, then pour white vinegar down the drain. The bubbling action brings up or clears whatever is blocking the drain. Whatever comes up, throw out, don't put it back down the drain LOL

In hard cases, well a plunger can also be used on a sink drain.

Speaking of which, a plunger is your best friend for a clogged toilet...YUK

Whenever using a plunger make sure there is water in the sink/toilet bowl whatever

RG

• Like 1

For sink sometimes I can be as easy as taking the cap off the peep trap which is just a screw located on the u looking part of the pipe. Sometimes the peep trap is actually a screw on pipe for the convenience of remove able.

Small repairs are one thing but actual renovation should be done to standard. Did you know insurance company can refuse payout due to non licensed work?

• Like 1

For sink sometimes I can be as easy as taking the cap off the peep trap which is just a screw located on the u looking part of the pipe. Sometimes the peep trap is actually a screw on pipe for the convenience of remove able.

All I gotta say is holy shit, how easy! And more so, THANK YOU Empty83. Who knew you could just unscrew that little cap!

I had tried Drano and yes RG the baking soda and vinegar trick and it still was a slow draining sink. One little cap came off, two minutes to reach in and pull out the crap, and a free flowing drain.

Love it!

Additional Comments:

John Caines hosts a very popular call in radio show dealing with home renovations. I would like to start a thread where cerbies could ask for suggestions and give advice regarding renos' date=' car maintenance,

electronics gardening, etc.... Let's share our hidden knowledge and abilities :)

This is the "how to" thread (how to anything....scrapbooking, stainglassing, photography etc....) so share what you are knowledgeable and passionate about and ask questions about what you want to learn![/quote']

Who ever thought Meg that when I met you that all this time later you would still be helping me. :) Thanks to this thread an irritating plumbing problem was fixed to perfection in less than five minutes.

Kindred Spirits. :)

• Like 1

When we moved into our present house, we got all new appliances. Due to my background in, well, just about everything, Whenever one of the appliances died, I was able to fix it. I kept those things going for 20 years. Eventually, I began to suspect there was a desire (more like a insistence) that they be replaced. Somehow I was suddenly unable to repair a major problem with one of them so voila!... we have all new appliances.

Oh, and my contribution for a handy tip for today? Jars... pickles, mayo, whatever. Before you try to unscrew the lid, turn it over and hit the bottom of the bottle into your other hand. You'll hear a pop. The lid will come right off.

If you want to have fun and piss someone off, watch them go at the jar for five minutes or so and then do this. Yah.. sometimes I'm just mean. :)

I think I can fix anything and put together Ikea furniture without the instructions.

Reality, well that's another matter :)

The Japanese seem to have put ALL of the instructions on how to put an ikea desk together...in Japanese, but at least on youtube. It is still easier to follow than the manual instruction

Awesome thread! I was going to post a question a few weeks ago, then didn't. So glad you made this thread. I am a reno junky!

So here is the question....

I want to make my own back splash. Cupboards are in a peppercorn brown, walls grey, and the accent wall is a spring green.

I am thinking I can use smashed up terracotta flower pots. Fit them like a mosaic.

Or should I use the bottom part of the flower pots, ( circular) and line them side by each?

any suggestion for other material?

I want to make my own back splash. Cupboards are in a peppercorn brown, walls grey, and the accent wall is a spring green.

any suggestion for other material?

I have heard of this before and have seen pictures of floors and back splashes done in it as well, but how about pennies?

You can google pennies as a backsplash and see some how to's and lots of pictures.

• Like 1