we need more Marsha's out there, our oldest son is mixed and in todays society he still hears the racist comment and he only 23 and the comments all come when he leaves our small town to go to Ottawa or Toronto and especially when he is with his white GF. It for some reason does not bother him but it bothers everyone else around him. He just keeps saying that they are just ignorant, stupid and they need to get out from under that rock they are living in.

• Like 3

we need more Marsha's out there, our oldest son is mixed and in todays society he still hears the racist comment and he only 23 and the comments all come when he leaves our small town to go to Ottawa or Toronto and especially when he is with his white GF. It for some reason does not bother him but it bothers everyone else around him. He just keeps saying that they are just ignorant, stupid and they need to get out from under that rock they are living in.

I hear ya, I just got asked for a cheaper rate to book with Asia cause she is not white! I am speechless! Even though he responded to HER ad, and her name is Asia! OMG...he wont book with this white chick now either hahaha.

I don't mind if ppl have their preferences, but that was unacceptable in every way!

It reminded me of an episode of MASH that I saw. It was about an injured soldier who needed a blood transfusion and surgery. The (white) soldier told the doctors to make sure they gave him the "right blood type". While the soldier was in post op the doctors painted his body with some medical dye making him appear black. When the soldier regained consciousness he was horrified. He actually believed they gave him the wrong type of blood. After spending the next few days as a black man he realized how wrong he was about his prejudice. Then the doctors told him the story about Dr. Charles R. Drew, the man who invented "blood transfusion and storage". Dr. Drew was in a car accident and needed a blood transfusion and was denied because of his skin color. (This story about the doctors death was some what inaccurate, but the doctor was real.)

Dr. Charles R. Drew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Drew

• Like 2

I hear ya, I just got asked for a cheaper rate to book with Asia cause she is not white! I am speechless! Even though he responded to HER ad, and her name is Asia! OMG...he wont book with this white chick now either hahaha.

I don't mind if ppl have their preferences, but that was unacceptable in every way!

That's the first I've heard of that one as I don't mind paying more for Asian women because they are awesome. Some people's kids.

• Like 1

i am a mixed race person , you wouldnt know it to look at me or my brother , we are very predominately take after our father . much like my sister very much takes after our mother . to the point people are surprised that she is related to us . its funny how free people feel when , even when they dont know you they feel safe with what they see and will open up quit freely bashing other races . and than to habe them not beleive me when i tell them i am cree,but once convinced how much back tracking they try to do or try to convince you it was just a joke .

i used to see it all the time as a kid with how people would treat my mom . be so polite to the person in front of us and than seem absolutely bothered by thefact that that they had to serve my mom . some one called the police on my grandfather becaise he was with 2 little white boys ( me and my cousin it would off been around '77-78' ) , my father almost got arrested for losing on the cops .

of course it was different when we would visit the reserve , one of my uncles would just laugh and laugh over how easy it was to pick out the little redheaded boy in a group of naive children .

• Like 2

Guest S****r

Something similar happened to me just this week. My son is mentally ill. We were seated in a waiting area and he was pacing back and forth and talking to himself, which are symptoms of his illness. A woman sitting beside me leaned over and clicked her tongue and said "Look at that guy! He should be on medication." I leaned in closer and said, "He IS on medication," I paused briefly and said, "he's my son."

"Oh!" she squawked, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean anything."

After a moment she dug her hole deeper and said, "Imagine how he must be OFF medication!"

"I don't have to imagine," I responded, "I have lived with him off medication."

Some people!

My two sons are quarter-Japanese and you have to look at them very closely to tell. Yet somehow, in high school, my oldest found himself being shoved up against a locker by some guys screaming about how he needed to get his GDF Jap ass back to Japan. This in a Midwestern town of about a thousand.

You can find a-holes anywhere.

• Like 3

Something similar happened to me just this week. My son is mentally ill. We were seated in a waiting area and he was pacing back and forth and talking to himself, which are symptoms of his illness. A woman sitting beside me leaned over and clicked her tongue and said "Look at that guy! He should be on medication." I leaned in closer and said, "He IS on medication," I paused briefly and said, "he's my son."

"Oh!" she squawked, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean anything."

After a moment she dug her hole deeper and said, "Imagine how he must be OFF medication!"

"I don't have to imagine," I responded, "I have lived with him off medication."

Some people!

So sorry you and your son had to go threw that! My friends son is autistic but also has OCD, and she gets these sideways looks all the time. They think she is just a bad mother because her kid will have huge outbursts at times. It is so difficult for her. Finding a babysitter is dreadful for her:(

For as progressive as people claim to be now, there is still way too much "ism" in the world and it seems everyone is more involved with technology to pay attention let alone stand up. We see and hear many examples of racism that impacts every race and creed, our elderly get treated badly in many situations as do our youth. Special needs, sexual orientation...there is so much judging, bias and hate. I often wonder if this is a long held taught belief and it's just accepted as truth with no questioning.

Just as bad is the pity. Like Summer, I have a special needs child with many issues. If I have her in a normal situation most looks are pretty normal. She's sweet and cute and affectionate. That changes if her wheelchair is involved or she tries to communicate. The pity stares drive me.

I try very hard not to judge and to instead understand. It's not always easy because there are many taught behaviors that linger from childhood, ones I still see in members of my family who haven't questioned them. For me, I focus on myself and changing my behavior. If I can do that, maybe it will impact someone else and so on. Sometimes the world changes one person at a time.

• Like 5

I too have special needs child. I have seen first hand the depths of peoples inhumanity. I have always campaigned and hoped to see changes in peoples attitudes, but I doubt I'll live that long.

• Like 2