Travelling South- need recommendation

So while the weather is getting warmer in Toronto...I have been craving for a me vacation that is not Europe, but south where I can soak in some much needed sun.

I am easy in term of goint to Mexico, Cuba, etc

I am looking for recommendation for an all inclusive resort between 5-7 days that has easy beach access and MAJOR bonus for a place where I could horseback riding and/or snorkling.

My budget is flexible but I am not looking for the most luxurious place all 5 stars, as long as I can feel safe going as a single woman in my mid 20's.

Should I just book an all inclusive package online or go see a travel agent?

Guest *l**e

whatever you want is fine:

Booking online is fine; stick to a good site like redtag.ca, or direct through westjet, for example.

As for location, my opinion is you get what you pay for. Cuba can be fun (personally I don't like it). Beaches are beautiful, but sometimes the ocean can be so rough there that the red flags are up and you can't swim. The food is mediocre at best, but if you aren't picky, you'll be fine. Service is not very good, but you're hot, so you'll do fine there too...lol. Cuba is super cheap, and in my opinion, you can have a great trip despite the lackings, or it can be awful

Dominican Republic is a short step up from Cuba; beaches aren't quite as nice, but they're pretty good, food is much better, service is good, resorts are all pretty good too.

Mexico is the next step up, especially if you go to Mayan Riviera; excellent food, great service, beaches in Mexico are nowhere near as nice as DR and way below Cuba.

Jamaica would be the next level; personally, the only part of Jamaica I'll go to anymore is Negril. It is just so superioir to the rest of the island, and in my opinion the best reasonably priced place in the Caribbean. The 7 Mile beach is truly amazing. Lots of horseback riding and tons of other stuff to do as well. White sand, beautiful surf, and the weather is amazing. Also, the food is far superior to Cuba and DR. It's also kind of nice that everyone speaks english. Service is great.

There are other southern destinations that are superior, but it starts getting pretty pricey.

As for resorts, if you stick to the chains (Bavarro, Dreams, Iberostar, Bahia, etc) you can't go wrong. they are all great.

Once you narrowed it down a bit, feel free to PM me if you have questions. I've been everywhere and would love to help you find a nice place.

good luck

I've been to Punta Cana in DR, 3 times, and the beaches there are stunning! Stayed at 4+ star hotels and each one was awesome. I did the booking through a travel agent,flew direct out of Ottawa. Did not care much for Mexico or Cuba, based on food,accommodations. Jamaica all flights go into Montego Bay, then bus ride to resorts can be an hour from MB, remember that for arrival time and departure times, nothing like losing a full last day because of check out and bus ride to airport on a 5 or 7 day trip, you lose a full day out it. That is why a travel agent could work, on destination/price/ times of departures pending on charter flights.

Yes stay with reputable Hotel names as above mentioned.

Oh I can send you pictures of the beach at Punta Cana, they are quite awesome

My thoughts on it.

• Like 1

a good place to look would be the Travel section of a Saturday newspaper. They usually have a ton of ads for vacation spots.

I checked my Saturday Ottawa Citizen and there are no more advertisements for southern vacations-I guess the season is over. Perhaps in Toronto Star. Otherwise, travel agent.

Edited by 1963Kennedy
Add more info

There is a variety of stuff to do in Costa Rica. Snorkelling, surfing, zip lining, rain forest. It is very hot and dry in some areas but you can be within an hour of the rainforest with amazing scenery of volcanoes.

I think there are some great last minute deals wherever you go that will save you lots. Costa Rica has very little crime.

Wherever you end up...have a wonderful vacation.

Check out wild Wednesdays on sunwing and I travel 2000 great last minute deals. Like the grand lido in Negril out of t.o. $1330 but you get a $1250 dollar resort credit for use at the resort !

Thanks for the reco everyone! public or private.

Varadero, Cuba actually won!

Granted the price helped...but I am going to be swimming with dolphins in less than two weeks!

• Like 2