hornyworm??

So on my android phone, I keep getting a " horny-worm" virus threat. But when I click for more info, it asks me to enter my credit card info to remove it. I have NOT done it, but wont go away. My question is, is not strange a virus threat warning would ask me to use credit card info?? Also, has anyone that has been contact with me by phone been infected by this? Or have you ever had a phone virus?

It's most likely (99.9%) NOT a virus.

Instead, it's an app you've installed throwing up "advertising" attempting to scare you into a purchase.

Try to remember when you first started seeing this and what app(s) you may have installed around that time. Then, uninstall the app. Should fix it...

• Like 2

Guest S*rca****sid

Warped88 is correct. This is starting to be a common threat for Android phones now. There was an antivirus app on Google Play that did nothing at all, it was just recently removed only after being downloaded over 10,000 times at a cost of $3.99.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248398/More_fake_antivirus_apps_pop_up_in_Google_Play_Windows_Phone_Store

Guest jrose

If you go into settings - applications - installed applications (this path varies depending on what device you are running) take a look at your list for hornyworm.apk. If it's there click on it here and select 'uninstall'.

Funny thing - most of the posts listing which app installed the pop up are anti virus apps. And unlike email virus it wont spread by calls / emails / texts. About the only way to have someone on your phone affected is if you shared the app that installed it AND they installed it as well.

To block things like this take a peek at the below link, and make sure the option for 3rd party / unknown sources software is unchecked. Again, the exact path varies by device. You could also Google Search "Device Name Unknown Sources" for something more specific.

http://pocketpccentral.net/help/android/general/app_install_android4.htm

If you are not getting anywhere with any of this I would suggest backing up your data and then a wipe device restore to be sure. It's a drastic step and if you miss something in the back up it's long gone, but it's one way to be sure. If you would like to PM me the model of your phone I can send specific how to's if you like.