Results from Online Dept of Justice Prostitution Survey

I am sorry but I do not see how that would work.

That is like saying it is ok for fast food restaurants to sell junk food. But it is illegal for the public to purchase or consume it. :icon_confused:

OR

It is ok for a Real Estate Agent to sell property but it is illegal for the consumer to purchase property through an agent. :icon_confused:

I can see any new laws like that would be quickly challenged to the Supreme Court of Canada. I hope the Justice Minister realises this and does the right thing by drafting something more equitable and fair to both sex workers and their clients.

I can see any new laws like that would be quickly challenged to the Supreme Court of Canada. I hope the Justice Minister realises this and does the right thing by drafting something more equitable and fair to both sex workers and their clients.

They know that. They also know that any legal challenge to the laws will take a decade, more or less, before the SCC rules on it... by which time it'll be someone else's problem.

This isn't an effort to solve any problems. It's just kicking the can down the road.

• Like 3

Nordic Model proponents do not really believe that it's "okay" to sell sexual services. In fact, quite the opposite. The ideology believes that all sex workers are victims of male violence, pimps, mental issues, and "the patriarchy". It's grandiose purpose is unabashedly the complete outright abolition of sex work. It's plan is to achieve this by scaring clients from buying sexual services (with criminalisation), and therefor ending all demand for sexual services. Those who want to introduce a Nordic Model style of law to Canada believe that through basic legislation and criminalisation, Canada will be the only place on earth without prostitution.

Here is a simple fact sheet about why we strongly oppose the failed Nordic model: http://chezstella.org/docs/Infosheets/En/ciminalizing_the_purchase_140322.pdf

And here is a fact sheet about the "New Zealand model", which we propose (full decriminalisation of sex work): http://chezstella.org/docs/Infosheets/En/new_zealand_140322.pdf

And yes, post Bedford decision, a Nordic style law will be challenged, and will not pass constitutional muster. Canada will have decriminalisation of sex work, maybe soon, maybe in 15 years.

Truth is, clients are already criminalised through bawdy house laws and solicitation laws. They do not stop clients from purchasing sexual services, and the SCC said those laws were unconstitutional. This kind of law would be too. I'm really waiting to see what the new legislation will be, before getting ahead of myself though. It's coming down this week.

• Like 2

Cocaine is illegal. Yet there is demand. Murder is illegal, yet it happens. The government has done nothing but waste time and taxpayer dollars. As Phadreus said... All they've managed to attempt is to "distract and redirect" public attention. Make it LOOK as though they've made an effort and have taken action, so that the preachy groups will get off their backs.

Business as usual, folks.

Just to comment on how the media has dealt with the "online" survey: "Majority of Canadians..." as if a online survey could lead to a such conclusion.

The Harper Conservatives have always tried to use demagogic means to get to their point; they abolished the mandatory census to hide the reality of Canadians. Now with this "online farce consultation", they will base their policy on an approximative and biased results of a non-scientific survey.

But the Conservatives have an agenda, and they will, unfortunately, use their majority in Parliement to buy time.

• Like 1